PDA

View Full Version : most popular rust spots

nam
09-05-04, 06:42 PM
as said above were are they and how important are they to the strenth of the car, need to know this because i have been working on my car today and found some bits of rust in the battery tray and behind the rear bumper(only a hole about the size of a 1p)
The rear archs and sound and i have got two new wings coming this week but want to know if its worth carrying on with the car if the battery tray is a BIG thing. Also I found some rust were the surrounding for the light meets the inner arch in the engine bay.

cheers for your help in advance nam.

p.s I can get pics if needed

rysmee
09-05-04, 09:14 PM
the main structure of the car is most important as you know,
the main areas structually will be first of all up front in the engine bay : around the suspension turrets, and down where the bottom arms are bolted to the chassis. under the headlights and where the wing meets the inner shouldn't be too much of a problem, just clean it up best u can and then wax oil it before u put it back together.
down the side of the car the sills are usually a major prob,
and at the back where the swing arm pivot is bolted to the chassis can sometimes be a bit worse for wear.
the battery tray area can be a pain as it may leak water on to your feet!, so ensure the water escape holes are clear of debris. u can get a plastic tray that the battery sits on, which helps aim water down to the hole, rarther than letting it sit there and rot your car.
anything else is usually cosmetic so if u can afford it its ok! good to know youve got solid arches, untill u want some nice rims and want to lower it.....!!!

nam
09-05-04, 09:34 PM
lol cheers for the reply mate, i will cheeck the rest tomorrow but it passed its MOT about 6 months ago so the main bit should really have been picked up on. as for the battery tray, it dose make water piss down on to your feet as i have found out, after posting the first post i went and cheecked the battery tray fether and discovered that there are qute big hole there really. would it be ok just to cover these over with something but make shure that the water runs away properly or will i have to have a new battery tray put in? if ao how much ruffly dose this cost??

cheers for the help agian mate and sorry about the long posts: nam

p.s is the battery tray a main part ie need for the strenth of the car??

rysmee
09-05-04, 09:40 PM
well im not too sure as when mine had this, i ended up scrapping the car!! not just coz of that though!
i'm thinking along the lines of fibre glass and filler, but i'm not really a car body person so dont really know, but anything has got to be better than letting it keep rusting away and giving u soggy feet!

CP
09-05-04, 10:20 PM
Novas rust readily all over however worst areas are:

- wings -bubbles coming up from below = extensive rust inside. Only worthwhile remedy is new wings which are easily obtained and swapped

- front slam panel rusts away either end - change slam panel

- battery trays - get the rust chopped out and weld a plate over

- rear arches - can get new ones welded in

-either end of the sills

- in the middle of the passenger/ driver floors bubbles up from chassis member below - plate over.

dave.gsi
09-05-04, 10:57 PM
door bottoms.

tailgate bottoms.

battery tray.

boot floor.

rear arches.

front wings.

suspension turrets.

sills.

floor (front and rear).

where dont they rust would be a simpler question.

srs1
09-05-04, 11:15 PM
and generally most bolt holes!

_JH_
10-05-04, 01:32 PM
spring seats

rear chassis rails (especially the exhaust side)

Ste_Nova
10-05-04, 02:50 PM
nam get your ass down to warrington tonight

Ojc
10-05-04, 03:29 PM
I've got a bit of cash lying around and wondered whether it was worth getting my whole engine bay and suspension turrets welded up and strenghthened up just for piece of mind.

Is this a easy job? What is involved etc? Especially concerning the suspension turrets. Do they get plated up inside etc?

Cheers

nam
10-05-04, 04:28 PM
"nam get your ass down to warrington tonight"
what for ste?

as for the topic i am going to have a good look at the places suggested now. will report back later.
cheers for the replys i agian, nam

Ste_Nova
10-05-04, 04:39 PM
a meet then r*****, burtonwood services westbound 8pm onwards

novaboy1981
11-05-04, 06:43 PM
i found a very interesting rusty hole behind my nearside front light!!
also, the corners of both doors r starting 2 go....not sure if its helped by the vinyl or if its making things worse!

Barn
11-05-04, 10:56 PM
get on your back and get your head under the sills...have a good look and make sure they aren't full of filler and/or rusted to f*ck. same with chassis legs, check their condition.

battery tray isn't a big problem at all really...obviously depends on how bad it actually is but like CP said just cut it back to good metal and plate it over and then seal it up.

People have had sills replaced, rear panels, front panels etc...its more how well the work is done by whoever does it.

:+:

Big Box
12-05-04, 03:36 PM
Heres a good site for new body parts, sills, wings, arches, etc. Obviously not GM but good prices.

http://www.sel-imperial.co.uk/SelectPart-part?markid=443&modelid=199&makeid=29