PDA

View Full Version : uprated shocks?

mark_GSi
09-05-04, 05:59 PM
im running -60mm springs on standard shocks, want to know if u put some uprated shocks on ie spax or g-max will it lower the car anymore or just stiffen up the handling and make a better ride?

cant afford to go any lower, bout as low as i can go.

just want stiffer suspension. will the uprated shock to the trick?

Adam
09-05-04, 06:25 PM
Uprated shocks wont lower the car more, but they will improve handling.
The springs set the height of the car, the shocks, absorb shocks.
Running -60mm springs will knacker you standard dampers in no time as they are always compressed to some extent.
So get some shortened uprated dampers and the handling should improve, and they should last longer than standard ones will.

mark_GSi
09-05-04, 06:27 PM
ok nice 1 m8

know any good sites?

not really fussed anout make as long as decent quality

Adam
10-05-04, 07:56 PM
www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

sell dampers.
Gmax are about the cheapest, and are pretty good quality.
I would go for them, although you could get some Spax etc.

Jack
11-05-04, 09:37 AM
Bilstein ones are good, so are Koni, but both are a bit more expensive than the likes of G-Max. Has anybody tried FK stuff?

cooper_nova
11-05-04, 09:50 AM
also wiv shortened and uprated shocks there is abosloutly no chanes of the sprigs falling out of the spring cups on the rear when u go over a hump back bridge or jack the car up

hendrix
11-05-04, 10:46 AM
im running standard shocks and when i jacked my car up the springs fell out :roll: i think the shocks are buggered anyway cuz wen u go over a bump the rear makes weird squeeking sounds

TeddyVXL
11-05-04, 11:34 AM
Koni's are awesome.
Just about to order a set for my Calibra Turbo
and i have just managed to get hold of a set of Koni Springs for my Nova GSi.

m.d.
11-05-04, 01:58 PM
im running standard shocks and when i jacked my car up the springs fell out :roll: i think the shocks are buggered anyway cuz wen u go over a bump the rear makes weird squeeking sounds

dead springs will cause them to fall out cos lowering springs still extend to the standard length but have a softer section which allows them to sit lower.

Adam
11-05-04, 02:02 PM

dead springs will cause them to fall out cos lowering springs still extend to the standard length but have a softer section which allows them to sit lower.

Do they :?:
I always thought that uprated springs were shorter in the first place, thats why they lower the car, and so when you jack the car up the springs slip out as they are shorter than they are supposed to be.
Or am i wrong :?: :?: :?:

hendrix
11-05-04, 05:12 PM

I always thought that uprated springs were shorter in the first place, thats why they lower the car, and so when you jack the car up the springs slip out as they are shorter than they are supposed to be.
i hope not!!!! :?

burgo
11-05-04, 05:17 PM
if u are after some better suspension mate ive got a set of koni adjustables for sale pm me if ya interested

hendrix
11-05-04, 05:49 PM
how much u after for the Koni's mate?? Ive got some rear ones sat in me boot at the moment to go on but am still interested in ur full kit. I will get back to u if i want them or not. It will probably be a no cuz im so skint but i am interested in how much u want for them
Cheers mate
Andy

hendrix
11-05-04, 05:50 PM
ment to pm that doh! :roll:
its been a long day.....

cooper_nova
11-05-04, 06:00 PM

nope ur absolutely right mate lowering springs r harder and shorter than standard o/e ones :)

hendrix
11-05-04, 06:05 PM
i got some pi-60 springs on the back and it aint any lower than my standard SRi suspension. is this cuz of the shock or is it dodgy springs? I think the spring may actually be 30mm lowering ones so in which case it would be hard to notice a difference

Jack
11-05-04, 06:51 PM

nope ur absolutely right mate lowering springs r harder and shorter than standard o/e ones :)

Compared my 60mm spax springs to my standard ones and they were a fair bit shorter! Altho they didn't look 60mm shorter, so i think its a bit of both

Adam
11-05-04, 06:53 PM

Compared my 60mm spax springs to my standard ones and they were a fair bit shorter! Altho they didn't look 60mm shorter, so i think its a bit of both

Cheers for that mate, i thought the springs always looked shorter. :+: