PDA

View Full Version : Velos turbo kit?

so1o
08-05-04, 10:49 AM
I just phoned Velos, but dont think anyones in. However the reason for this was because on there website they have a 1.4 turbo for sale. This leads me to believe this was there test engine, so completion for the turbo kits cant be far off can it?

Anyone got ANY information on there turbo kits and what sort of prices we're looking for them?

Thanks

Solo

Dpnova
08-05-04, 10:51 AM
Whats the web address :D

so1o
08-05-04, 11:50 AM
http://www.velosmotorsport.co.uk

peester
09-05-04, 12:06 AM
yeah theyve done one; just tweeking it and testing i believe before allowing nutters like you with too much money to take it out into the world. every tuner will try to just do a conversion like that on their own car; razz it up the strip at shows all year long; making people want one; then at the end of the summer the garage is full of customers' cars waiting for that conversion.

so1o
09-05-04, 12:18 AM
Not to much money, just want to do something once, forget about it, atleast this way i wont look back and say i "wish" i had done this or that.

TBH I think I have pissed of a lot of people off :oops: . My "tuning" knowledge is very limited, have pestered so many people for advice etc but something else keeps creeping up. Originally I wanted a 2 litre turbo but decided against it for various reasons, even bought a calibra turbo for the engine. Then it was the 2.0 16v I have in my car at the moment, rebuild and tb's, ecu etc. I was going to pop down and get it started this week. Yesterday I looked at the Velos website and see they have an engine on offer 1.4 16v turbo. Now this is what I want. Turbo, smaller block, better handling, better all way round in my opinion. I have always wanted a turbo, hence why I have changed my mind again from the tb's. I want either the 1.4 16v or 1.6 16v turbo, whichever I decide on, but this is definitely the route I will take. To do this well it might cost me near enough as to what I was prepared to spend on tb's etc.

Apologies to all those I have annoyed with stupid questions :?

On the note of the Vauxhall 1.6 16v and 1.4 16v engines, whats the weight difference of the two? Weight of them?

Solo

epo
09-05-04, 12:27 PM
least with the 1.4 u still have cheap road tax

so1o
09-05-04, 01:39 PM
Cheap tax should be the las tof my worries.

Interesting..........cant get no power figures for the 1.6 16v turbo as yet because the wheels dont stop spinning on the rollers :lol:

Not looking to bad is it.

benji
09-05-04, 02:22 PM
when i was last there they had the 1.4 running and the 1.6 was being built, i but the sound of it the 1.6 will be running at santa pod on the 23rd, it should be making 200 bhp. they also said the boost was quite low

novacabrio
09-05-04, 08:37 PM
1400 Turbo engine for sale

Freshly rebuilt 1400xe, modified pistons to give 7.5:1, Arp rod bolts ,T3 turbo , intercooler, pulse450, cosworth throttle body, 2.0ltr. injectors, all pipework, DTA engine management, only one head gasket however, normally ?3500 as a kit, we're selling it for ?3000 - Shown to produce 198bhp & 173ftlb torque.

sounds nice, ive been in 2 velos prepared cars, firstly a nova sport they did (1.4 on 40s) and their golf last year at billing when a mate had a lend of it, they build quick engines! only wish I had the cash to have them build me one!

CP
09-05-04, 08:59 PM
1.4 and 1.6 engine blocks are identical as cast so are pretty the same weight - 1.6 flywheel is bigger and so is the gearbox to accomodate it. Over all 1.6 is not a lot heavier - nowhere near as heavy as a 2.0l.

My opinion about the 1.4 and 1.6 Turbos that Velos are developing is that they are still at an early stage. Power and performance and quality of engineering/engine building is not in dispute but there MAY be a question mark over reliability as with all modded turbo engines.

I'd love to try one out tho :D

so1o
09-05-04, 11:58 PM
Sorted then, weights not to bad, will have to be 1.6 16v then. Charles.......hopefully if all goes well, you will have a go for as long as you like, borrow the fucker lol, for all the questions and bother i have coaused you :lol: 250bhp 1.6 16v turbo, anyone?

Solo

Jules
10-05-04, 01:53 PM
There's a 1.6 GSi turbo going on eBay at the moment, of infact the link has just slipped out of my pocket............here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9858&item=2477284017&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) it is!!

Buy it, take the engine out (and other nice bits you like - wheel etc...) and stick it in yours, drop the 2.0 16v in the GSi shell, sell the now 2.0L GSi and recoup some money.

so1o
11-05-04, 12:49 AM
Thanks Jules but tbh I cant be arsed to buy any more cars. I just want one good engine and thats it. 1.6 16v, the idea you said sounds good, but time, hassle etc.