PDA

View Full Version : Q plates

Tazzy
08-05-04, 12:09 AM
LV want to write my car off, but cuz i want to keep the car, they said i could buy it back from them and fix it myself, but doing this, would the car have to be re-registered on a Q plate?

this thought is worrying the s*** out of me because i dont want it on a Q plate, i want to keep my original plate (obviously!)

cheerz!

mikeoxford
08-05-04, 12:23 AM
basically a Q registration number is a consumer protection aid. A Q number is a clear indicator to a prospective purchaser that the age or identity of a vehicle is unknown. The vehicle may be rebuilt from parts, some or all of which may not be new. This also applies to vehicles imported without supporting evidence to identify the vehicles age.

so from thati would assume that LV are writing your car off and its noit supposed to be on the road.. .. .. ?

i also assume they think you will put it all into a new shell? otherwise why would they want the original shell written off so to speak.

with a q plate your car will hold nothing more than sentimental value - you will never sell it on

epo
08-05-04, 12:04 PM
can u not just put ur old plate on as a personalised plate obviously itll still be a q when u sell it still

Tazzy
08-05-04, 02:19 PM
the car isnt a right off though, its just easier for them to right it off, it is repairable, and i will get it repaired, its just a matter of pulling the arch out abit, fitting a new wing and bonnet and fixing the front bumper!

i got paid yesderday and picked up more than what i usually get, so ill deffo be able to get it done, LV can do what they want, but they aint taking my car and i will get it fixed myself!

but will it have to go on a Q plate even for minor damage?

its not going onto another chassis, parts from different cars aretn going to be used (apart from the bonnet and headlamp!)

Jim
08-05-04, 03:38 PM
If you can afford to get the damage repaired yourself, why have you contacted the Insurance company? I assume you contacted them to make a claim in order for them to pay for the damage?

Jim

Tazzy
08-05-04, 04:11 PM
i contacted LV cuz i thought it was the right thing to do!

what i dont get is, there was minor damage to her car, easily fixable and wouldnt cost much to fix, and she has fixed her car, but i dont think she has claimed on my insurance, which i thought she might do!

it should be her insurance company to fork out the ?350 repairs to my car, but they would only deal with network Q which would charge 1700!

im gonna speak to LV on monday and see what they say, i might not be renew the policy with them next year!

RJM25R
08-05-04, 06:40 PM
You are entitled to choose your own repairers, LV can't tell you where to go. You will have penalised yourself now by reporting your accident to LV. You must have had an LV approved engineer to inspect it or how would LV know that it is beyond economical repair??

Tazzy
09-05-04, 10:26 PM
an LV engineer came out to look at the car the other week, he just took one look at it asked me of i had a cd player in the car and if the bonnet lifted, wasnt bothered to see the bonnet being lifted, and that was it, he didnt inspect the damage, didnt take any pictures, wasnt bothered at all!

then quoted about 1400 to fix it, but thats cuz they would have to go to network Q get get parts!

well bullsh** to that, ive found a garage that will do it now for 275, which is quality, so im taking it in next week providing i can get the last part!