PDA

View Full Version : petrol smell in (oil & water)

mc_hawkings
07-05-04, 03:27 PM
I'm not sure if gasket has gone as theres no mayo but as i've just changed it. but when doing h-bolts i slipped & did one up to much. Theres fuel smell in the water & oil & fuel smell from the ehaust. Theres power loss as well but it comes & goes.

What do you think gasket,carb needs setting up,running rich can it sap power?

cheers........

cooper_nova
07-05-04, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure if gasket has gone as theres no mayo but as i've just changed it. but when doing h-bolts i slipped & did one up to much. Theres fuel smell in the water & oil & fuel smell from the ehaust. Theres power loss as well but it comes & goes.

What do you think gasket,carb needs setting up,running rich can it sap power?

cheers........

not sure if its the same but i got petrol smell in the oil and have a loss of power(as if its running on the limiter but its not got one lol) and thats bcoz its running rich so i've been told

mikeyredtop
07-05-04, 04:01 PM
if u have a petrol smell in the exhuast it will be ur rings letting too much blow-by gasses getting by... would explain the loss of power if say 1 cylinder is loosing compression a bit or a lot...

mc_hawkings
07-05-04, 04:15 PM
Hmmm it doesnt smoke at all though, i only put it in last week & looked pretty tip top when i took the head off ,ie no rim at the top of the bore & still honing marks visable. Just been getting less power now its quite pitifull. I think i should take it apart again just to make sure.

I did do it in the pissing down rain anyway

Its just i've sheered the water pump allen key bolts to.

mikeyredtop
07-05-04, 04:36 PM
do a compresion test one of my cylinders is down on compression and down on power. but doesnt smoke... and it smells of fuel in the oil breather...

mc_hawkings
07-05-04, 05:52 PM
i just had the Co2 & emissions checked, it was running weak plus i put my dizzy back & it seems ok now. Still smells of fuel but they reckon its ok. Might buy another nova at the weekend to if all goes to plan.

benji
07-05-04, 08:03 PM
smell your water in the expansion tank, if that smells of exhaust fumes then it's probably the head gasket,

mc_hawkings
07-05-04, 08:14 PM
It does smell fumie in the expansion tank.

m.d.
08-05-04, 07:58 AM
hmm i had this on my old 1.6 and it was a cheap head gasget that caused it. was weaping gasses through

mc_hawkings
08-05-04, 11:39 AM
Yep tis gone i rekon. I was driving up a hill on the motorway today in 4th & it started popping holding back & that.

Oh god it'll do for a while though