PDA

View Full Version : quote me happy? having a laugh!

mikeoxford
07-05-04, 10:59 AM
phoned HIC today - i was informed of another one of our members, who got the following quote:

1.6 GSi engine, no NCB, 9 points, All mods declared (respray, no back seats, buckets etc etc) full years break down cover, track day cover and aload of other stuff for 1011.58 TPFT, and im 19

so why when i ring up, almost 20, 2 yrs NCB, 62.5% no claims discount, pass plus, in a secure garage, cat 1 alarm and imobiliser. not 9 points! all the rest of the b0ll0x to get me cheap unsrance, my quote is over TWO THOUSAND POUNDS.

im not a happy bunny. i dont want to go with liverpool victoria - but its looking like my only option :|

wasnt best pleased - they sent me a renewal today saying unless i cancel they will debit my card for the value of another 12mnths inruance :lol: isnt that illegal? i havent authorised it.

anyway LV quote me 873.13 fully comp :( im not gonna beat that am i? ITS A SCANDAL

Dpnova
07-05-04, 11:04 AM
Thats bad, im with LV :lol:

Ste_Nova
07-05-04, 11:32 AM
phil has left hic... so they don't do dodgy quotes anymore :lol:

mikeoxford
07-05-04, 12:18 PM
rang liverpool victoria to check all my mods were listed - to my dismay i have been on dodgy insurance for 12 months :evil: only thing they have listed is the engine modifications. none of the exterior etc.

they starts asking me what modifications i think they should list - and i turned it round on em :lol: u read out what i can have i tell u if i got it.

the only one i disagreed to was disability modifications :lol:

so methinks ill be paying 873.13 the end of this month :evil: thats criminal. to me anyway - on the whole its not so bad i spose. my old man has full NCB and is 50 - hes paying 600 :lol:

cant find anywhere thatll beat / match 873 with the modifications paid for and listed.

agreed value of my car in writing - without modifications - is ?1200 which im quite happy about as its high :lol: and as i have a "higher" excess then the extra ?300 or so that they have agreed the value is will cancel out the higher excess kinda thing.

/me wonders if i reduce the value of the car if itll decrease my premium at all :?: probably opening a can of worms

Dave
07-05-04, 12:53 PM
im not a happy bunny. i dont want to go with liverpool victoria - but its looking like my only option :|
opening my self up for abouse here but.....
why not?? what's wrong with lv

mikeoxford
07-05-04, 01:00 PM
opening my self up for abouse here but.....
why not?? what's wrong with lv

wellas a family, we have lots of car insurance, life insurance, and also these polices where they pay out when your a certain age blah blah.

our family used "liverpool firnedly society" or whatever there group name is for everything

fualtless for god knows how many years

recently though. dad been messed about renewing his insurance - cost always fluctuates!

he overpaid 2 pensions, and had trouble reclaiming money owed to him. everyone agreed it was his money but it took 4 months to get the cheque in his bank.

also people on here are a bit dubious of LV. think is the what u get is what u pay for aspect - buy cheap insurance, expect crap service.

Barn
07-05-04, 01:05 PM
Lv :roll: ...they were going to take out another 12month policy if you didnt cancel?! Can they do that...? lol

f*cking headers.

the more I hear about them the more I don't want insurance with them but in all fairness they gave me the cheapest quote by far...so it made sense to go with them. So who am I to complain :wink:

How do you get an agreed value on the car then? Got a minter of a car that I wouldnt mind doing that on...

Can you pay monthly installments then Mike? Instead of the whole lump sum in one go...(don't want to do that again).

how come they only listed the engine mods? Did you not ring up and tell them about the exterior etc?

am I right in thinking that they do not charge any extra for modifications but they will pay for them in the event of a crash * touches wood* ?

as you can probably tell they confused me like f*ck when I got my car done...

:+:

Jim
07-05-04, 01:35 PM
?1200 Agreed Value! Blimey, I've got an agreed value of ?4k (I think it's 4, will have to check my policy tonight, lol). Albeit, that's with HIC. Strange that HIC didn't offer you anything better.

LV can not take your next 12 months. They can start to take monthly payments, but they are not allowed to claim for all 12 months.

Barney, to get an agreed value, you just phone up and tell them you want an agreed value (not all insurance companies will do an agreed value though). You will have to send them pictures of your car for confirmation (HIC sent me a form which I'll fill in when the cars on the road).

Another thing. What you get quoted is the price if you pay the whole lot in one go. If you pay monthly you will get charged intrest, so Mikes quote could infact end up being more like ?1000 once he's finished paying it off over the months.

Jim

Will
07-05-04, 01:47 PM
LV can not take your next 12 months. They can start to take monthly payments, but they are not allowed to claim for all 12 months.

Jim

they did this with breeny.......

so they will do it

hic must not like your postcode mike

2 yrs ncb is 55% not 62.5% but thats no matter really to be honest! 2 grand is crazy!

as much as i hate LV ive been pissed off with HIC, they havent bothered to send me a renewal quote and its due on wednesday, would have been good to compare, not going with them anyway,

mike 2 more plcaes for you..... in fact 3

elephant (if you phone they cover mods)

privledge

flux

give them a go and see where your at!

Will

Alex
07-05-04, 01:50 PM
LV sent me a letter about a month before my insuance ran out saying that they will renew it if I didnt contact them. I shopped around for a little while but forgot about it. I then got a note through saying that my card had been charged for the insurance (the whole year). Luckilly it was still my cheapest quote.

Jim
07-05-04, 01:53 PM
they did this with breeny.......

Do you check his mail when you go round his house or something? lol.

Maybe it's different if you pay it all in one go. I was paying monthly with LV and i forgot to cancel my insurance with them, so had to tell them to stop taking money out of my account.

The way LV works is they set up a budget account which is what your insurance is, they withdraw the lump sum from the budget account, you then pay a monthly sum into the budget account in order to pay it off. It seems overly complicated, but i suppose doing it this way saves them money on admin work, or makes them more money :?:

Jim

mikeoxford
07-05-04, 01:55 PM
yes you can pay monthly installments. with LV i would pay over 11 months at value of ?84.11 which would mean at the end of the year i would have paid ?52 in intrest.

yes i had told them about mods before the year started. the rep i spoke to then just said ive liste dyour engine mods, any further mods keep the receipt and photograph it so you can prove in event of claim.

only charge extra for engine mods barney, everything else dosent cost.

jim agreed value of ?1200 is for the car. i got put through to the claims department of LV and modifications etc are on top of that, so ?1200 - even to me dont sound much, but just for a base model sr it is if you see?

the letter i was sent reads basically for your convenice unless you tell us otherwise we will debit credit card number 4929 4959......... blah :!:

i was thinking i havent given them authorisation to do such, BUT if you think about it your giving them authorisation by not phoning up to cancel it they way its written! cheeky i think.

as you said jim id end up paying nearer to a grand for insurance, 925.20 to be precise if i paid in installemenst, but ill be using overdraft to pay in one go i think.

will: i only have 2yrs NCB the only other thing i can possibly think of is pass plus, alarms or anything like that? but it does state on the renewal they have sent amongst other things 2 yrs NCB and 62.5% no claims bonus enitltlement! honnestly!

god knows on postcode. its an alright area !

ill phone them three this afternoon will :D thankyou very much for that

i have tried a few out the back of total vauxhall. not much joy with them. expensive or no under 21s lol

Riggy
07-05-04, 02:38 PM
i tried hic and they wouldnt even quote me due to my postcode lol m24 :D

phoned lv and ended up paying 902 fully comp , no ncb ,no points 22 yrs old on a 1.2 at the time all mods were declared but when i phone the other day for a engine coversion quote i got 3 different replys first one said they wont insure it , second one said it wont cost any extra if i let them know about it , 3 rd one said an extra 120 for a 1.4 sr

and then when i asked them what mods i had kisted the said none apart from engine mods :( which consists of a k&n lol so had to tell them again about alloys etc etc

mikeyredtop
07-05-04, 03:06 PM
u know u can use www.confused.com who search 98% i think off all the insurers on the web...

cooper_nova
07-05-04, 03:15 PM
does ne o0ne have the number for lv plz as my policy is due for a renewal at the end of the month and want to get some quotes
cheers

Dave
07-05-04, 03:53 PM
THINK it's 0800 514514

Phil at hic quoted me ?519 with legal & breakdown cover + trackday cover on a modded (bodywork an engine all declaired) 14sr with 3yrs ncb and cat 1 alarm with the gf on the policy

hope it's still valid no he's gone as it was about 2 mths ago :o

Jack
07-05-04, 04:07 PM
I've dealt with a guy at HIC called Sam, he was pretty helpful and got me a decent quote

hendrix
07-05-04, 04:10 PM
Im paying 876 per year TPFT on my SRi and im not even on my own insurance. Its on me stepdads with CIS. We did claim last year when my old nova got stolen and never turned up but that hardly seems worth it cuz the SRi insurance went up from 540 :(
Chelle has a 1.4SR which is also group 7 and Norwich Union quoted her 540 quid per year TPFT
It aint fair :roll:

dan_mk1
07-05-04, 04:21 PM
phil has left hic... so they don't do dodgy quotes anymore :lol:

lmao, looks like im going somewhere next year!

Dave
07-05-04, 05:13 PM
when my rover got nicked an torched never bothered claiming would have lost more by loosing the ncd i'd got so took the hit an suffered

Will
07-05-04, 06:04 PM
when my rover got nicked an torched never bothered claiming would have lost more by loosing the ncd i'd got so took the hit an suffered

if its a car worth under 1k the NCB are worth more than claiming a few quid espec if you take into account your excess.........

obviously each to there own

Will

Breeny
07-05-04, 06:12 PM
You dont actually lose all your ncb if you claim...

most places will only knock a year or 2 off.

Barn
11-05-04, 10:25 PM
anyone 18 and insured on a GTE/GSI?
or is it no point even trying...?

would there be any point in waiting till I'm 19 to get quotes from the likes of HIC and Flux before taking out another year policy in August? But by the time I'm 19 (Jan) I would have lost like 5 months of no claims if I do that.

insurance really is shockingly expensive. Paid ?1350 this year to insure my SR...and I thought oh a 1.3L will be wayyy less, nope, ?50 less :roll: .

And how they work the postcode thing out I don't know (I'm sure Will does) they (LV) were going to charge me an extra ?80 if I changed my insurance to another address and the place where I want to change it to is a way better area...and its common knowledge....really weird.

Ian
11-05-04, 11:56 PM
the only one i disagreed to was disability modifications :lol:

yes, you removed the spoiler ;)