PDA

View Full Version : engine not starting......???

danregs
05-05-04, 07:33 PM
hi guys,
my mates nova isnt starting..... he was drivin on a motorway and it overheated and since then it hasnt started....

i checked the LT/HT and i know the coil and everything is working as i'm getting sparks all round
i am getting compression ok cos i checked
havent checked the fuel pump yet to see if fuel is getting to the carb but there was a smell of fuel from the plug holes when i turned it over with no plugs in.......

i filled the coolant reservoir with water again and the water just leaks out from the bottom of the engine. its possibly leaking from around a sensor (not sure whether its oil/water temp?) dunno why leaking water would mean the engine wont start tho

nothing is seized as far as i can see cos the engine is turning over fine on the starter

anyone know what could be wrong with it?

cheers,
dan

YellowTurbo
05-05-04, 08:12 PM
sounds like head gasket mate :(

Adam
05-05-04, 10:39 PM
Yeah does sound like the head gasket has gone. It is probably why it was overheating, because water is leaking from the gasket.

danregs
06-05-04, 01:04 AM
will the engine run ok again if i replace the head gasket yeh? or u think the engine will be damaged?

i'll get the head off 2mo i think

danregs
09-05-04, 01:25 PM
ttt :(

mikeyredtop
09-05-04, 01:42 PM
how do u know it has compression. did u do a compression check

rysmee
09-05-04, 08:49 PM
how fast is the water leaking out? straight away or over a period of time?
the head gasket could still be gone even if u have compression as it could just be the outer edge of it..therefore just the water jacket, but the actual cylinders may still be sealed.. if u get what i mean.
did it blow alot of white smoke out of the exhaust when it went?
it is a weird one coz technically, if its getting spark, fuel and air it should at least TRY and start, or make a splutter or something. tried towing it?
sounds like your going to have to have the head off at least anyway, so maybe after that you may find something else or it may be fine!

epo
09-05-04, 10:10 PM
will the engine run ok again if i replace the head gasket yeh? or u think the engine will be damaged?

i'll get the head off 2mo i think

check to see if the head is warped might need skimming i was lucky as caught mine just in time

danregs
10-05-04, 12:50 AM
ok taken head off today and just wondering what kinda thickness gasket is supposed to be on there?..... :?
water pours straight out of side/bottom of engine when you pour it into the reservoir......
dont think water was comin from head gasket tho after getting a few bits off and having a good look round....

rysmee
10-05-04, 04:16 PM
left hand side behind cam belt cover i assume?
sounds like its going to be from the water pump, but youll need to the covers off to get a better look. if u have the head off then u should just need to take off bottom pully.
it must be a large hole if water is leaking out as quickly as u say.

danregs
10-05-04, 04:19 PM
yeh thats where it is mate. i dont get why a bust water pump would stop the engine starting at all tho...... :?

i'll take off the bottom pully when i get time 2mo i think......

Aragorn
11-05-04, 12:12 PM
the water pump has died causing the engine to lose coolant while driving along the motorway

this will have obviously resulted in the engine overheating and more than likely warped the head and possibly the block face

the head will have to come off and get skimmed and pressure tested for cracks - just hope your block face isnt warped and if your lucky a new water pump and gasket set will sort it

danregs
11-05-04, 01:16 PM
so i know you havent looked at it but from what i've said u think its def the water pump gone yeh?
so u think a new water pump, gaskets all round, and then maybe put on a 1.4spi head????
and i better check the block is flat as well yeh?..... whats the best way to do this?.....

cheers :wink:

Aragorn
11-05-04, 01:54 PM
u cant do it yourself

its a job for extermely accurate machines at an engineering shop

either replace the head or get it skimmed and see if it works

if it doesnt run properly then u'll need to get the block face skimmed too

Adam
11-05-04, 02:03 PM
How much are water pumps now, you can get them for about a fiver from Ebay, brand new.

danregs
11-05-04, 03:44 PM
ok well i think i'll go get a 1.4spi head and some new gaskets and a water pump. nothing needs skimming to do that right?
then if i find it still doesnt work then i will take the block into the workshops and i'll skim it cos we've got all the machines to do it - millions of pounds worth of machines in fact!! :D
i'm learnin!! :roll:

Aragorn
12-05-04, 11:46 AM
if u take a head off a different engine u should have it skimmed anyway

and why are u specifically wanting a 1.4spi head?

is it an SPi engine?

the spi head is identical to the 1.4 SR head with the exception that its got a shite cam in it

if u wanted to upgrade things u could either get a head and cam of a 1.4sr or get a head and cam off a 1.4 sri - the sri head is the best of them all so if your swapping head it might be worth simply buying that instead

danregs
12-05-04, 12:09 PM
ok cheers fo that mate cos i'm not familiar with nova engines really....

so a 1.4SR or a 1.4SRi head and cam yeh?....

will my 1.2i manifold bolt onto these heads?

Aragorn
12-05-04, 12:18 PM
what engine do u have?

if its a 1.4 then get the SRi head

a 1.4 head on a 1.2 might lower the compression a bit too much

danregs
12-05-04, 01:07 PM
its a '93 1.2i engine mate ....

Aragorn
12-05-04, 01:54 PM
in that case u'd be best getting a 1200 carb head for it and getting a cam off a 1.4sr while your there