PDA

View Full Version : 2lr Turbo Experts Only Please

Richyb
05-05-04, 07:08 PM
Alrite all,............. its really a been having alot of problems with burning oil on idle revs. its been going on for quite some time now so we have the block rebored and new oversized pistons/rings and had the turbo re-sealed and blue smoke is still billowing out when engine is warm after about 20 secs on idel 800-1000rpm.

We have tried ever breather mod on the face of the earth but still no joy.

The only other thing that i thing might effect it is the comp oil pump that it has. The pump is giving a higher oil pressure at idle than the standard 1 but only by a few psi........do u think this could be pushing oil past the turbo seals when at idle?

The car only smokes when the engine oil is up to temp and has been at idle for 20-60 seconds.

Its left me scratchin my head now

ALL STEM SEALS WERE REPLACED WITH WHEN LUMP WAS REBORED A WK AGO

Cheers in advance anyway people. :snipersm: [/b]

Stuart
05-05-04, 07:12 PM
valve stem oil seals prehaps??!!

or not bedded the rings in right

jim sri
05-05-04, 07:37 PM
sounds like the turbo seals, but you've had them done...reputable company????

Richyb
05-05-04, 07:40 PM
yes.....we originally used a turbotechnics 1 from wallace but it was smoking its rag off so we got a refund. The Hybrid is now from east midlands turbos i think

Stuart
05-05-04, 08:09 PM
nahh you dont want a turbo mate, drop a 1L OHV in

_JH_
05-05-04, 08:21 PM
I have to agree with cambridge.

about the rings as a possibility that is.

when the oil is warm, it may be able to seep past somewhere. at higher revs this wouldn't occur so much, if at all.

I know some people have differing opinions on bedding in rings, so how did you do it?

stanley
05-05-04, 08:23 PM
did u hone the bores? how?

take one of the boost pipes of......is there alot of oil in it??

have u had the head pressure tested??----crack?

does it blow a huge puff of the ol'blue smoke when u let it over-run down a hill, then boot it??

Rick Draper
05-05-04, 09:41 PM
What oil have you used to run it in on? Also KKK's are notoriously hard to rebuild properly (one guy had about 4 different ones and all smoked) so that cud be where the issues are. Rick

Richyb
06-05-04, 09:07 AM
thanks for all of your replies lads.

Yes the bores were honed out properly by the rebore company.

Yes all the boost pipes in the induction system now have a thin layer of oil in them.

I have done 488 miles since the rebuilt keeping the engine revs between 2500 and 3500 max.

Cos cast head but it might be worth havein pressure tested if u all think.

Rick....we decided that we would run the engine in using just vauxhall 10 40 semi sythn because i wasnt planing on giving it stick then after 1000 miles do the change and put in silkoline 10 50 fully synth.

i will have to try the run over but i think now it might be the turbo because there is alot of blue smoke when warm on idle.

Rick do you think if we regulate the oil pressure and bring it down a few psi it could help???

cheers every1

S_Gault
06-05-04, 09:38 AM
I have a kit form Snap-on called a Leakdown tester,

It puts compressed air into cylinder at TDC and tells of loss..trick is you can hear where its going.. Takes the guesswork out of this kind of thing.

You need to find somehwere close to you that can do it, as its mostly people like myself that work at racers that have this kind of kit.

Steven

Richyb
06-05-04, 10:17 AM
standard stuff mate......just novas have one of the tesing kits from snap on connected to an air line. we got a reading of low on all cylinders green section of the dial. those kits cost 100 quid tops

Rick Draper
06-05-04, 10:35 AM
With vaux semi synthetic the rings would never bed in properly, you shud have ran it in on crap mineral oil for the first 500 miles then put semi in it for 500 miles then change for semi again for another 500 miles then fill with a fully synthetic of your choice. Rick

Ste_Nova
06-05-04, 12:18 PM
yup should have had some cheap shit nasty ?3 a gallon stuff

remember a flush between each change rick

S_Gault
06-05-04, 12:26 PM
no.. snap on kit was over 350 quid 11 years ago...

doent have red or green sections.. your thinking of the budget version that are now about which give trouble with the one way valve and calibration.

Steven