PDA

View Full Version : Best Gearbox combo to run with a 1600 16v on jenvey tb's

ollster
05-05-04, 12:20 PM
Right I have done quite a bit of research into this but have come up with no definitive answers. I was originally going to use the gearbox out of my sri but after taking it out it is only an f10. The thing is though I am sure that it was a close ratio one because it would rev just under 4k at 70 mph, and would pull all the way to the red line in 5th (about 120). Also the f10 out of my sri in a nice gearbox that has always had a smooth change and no issues.

What the best gearbox is to run with a baby xe?? I fancy an f15 (because I would imagine it would be better equipped to handle the extra tourq), but I am guessing I will have to change to a pot flywheels then (I already have a normal flat flywheel on the xe with the same part number as the gsi fly's)?? Ideally I would like to run a f10cr (although I am told these don?t exist mine feel cr)/f13cr so I can change my clutch in situe with a quaiffe atb diff and a 4.18fd and a normal c14se/c16se flywheel, is this the best combination????.

Sorry if this is all confusing, I think I have just confused myself lol

Aragorn
05-05-04, 02:24 PM
ive just got an F15 with my C16XE and it uses the same ratios as an F20

that is to say a CR cluster with a really long 3.55 final drive (although ive heard of 3.74 ones existing)

the F13CR should have a 3.74 or 3.94 final drive so has more accelleration anyway

mikeoxford
05-05-04, 02:27 PM
f10 CR and f13 cr i am told share the same internals.....

basically the only thing difrent between the boxes (as far as im aware) is the flywheel / clutch plate size.

bigger clutch to handle more power i assume.

olly i have an f13 CR box for sale....... in mint conidtion - ive had it all apart because i thought something was broken in my own gearbox. turned out it only needed my diff swapping so have the box surplus.

MC
05-05-04, 02:38 PM
It is more than likely that your F10 is a CR, but it will have a 3.74 or 3.94 FD.

My only advice to you is to use the closest ratio combination that you can on that setup, ie CR box and 4.18 or higher FD. Use of a 16v and TB's will result in less low down torque and more bhp, so you will have to rev high and stay in the power band.

f15 will be no tougher than the f10 or 13, I've had the different boxes apart, and the internals are no stronger in one than the other. Use your f10 internals in any old f13 box, in fact if you can find a long ratio f13 brilliant as it will have the 4.18fd which you can use with the gear cluster from your f10 cr.

MC

ollster
05-05-04, 02:56 PM
thanx for all the info peeps, mc you say that the f13/f10 boxes are basically identical, if that is the case then are the bell houses the same aswell?? If thats the case then surely i can just use my f10 (providing its a cr cluster) and if its got a 3.94 fd then i can simply swap the cwp for a 4.18 fd??? Is this correct or is there another reason for swapping my internals into an f13 housing?

So from what you have said there will be no advantage from me getting an f15 box (do you also have to run pot flywheels with these), they dont run bigger bearing or tighter tolerances?

Also my xe currently has a flat type flywheels on and after putitng the part number into the epc it looks like it was used on various models including the nova gsi (and im guessing SRI). Would this be ok for use with my f10/f13 and also with it being on the epc as being used in the gsi im guessing i can use the bigger gsi clutch assy?

Sorry for all the questions, i know a lot about everything else on my car apart from the gearbox which i have never really looked into

Cher olly

MC
05-05-04, 03:03 PM
The bell housing is different between the f10 and f13, it has implication regarding the flywheel and starter motor. Anyway if you were gonna just change the fd, the cluster would still have to come out, so the same amount of work either way.

I, CP, Dan, jim and many others have run 1.6 8v's with as much bhp and lots more low down torque than a 16v on throttle bodies using the f10/f13 with no problems, so I would worry about finding an f15.

MC

ollster
05-05-04, 03:22 PM
right so i need to get an f13 box preferably with a 4.18 fd then put in the gear cluster out of my f10 box (is there any way to check if it is definatly cr?) and then what flywheel starter do i need to use.

I currently have two brand new starters, one off my old sri (that had the f10 box fited to it), and one off my xe (that has got what epc shows to be the GSI flywheel, and had an f13 box), the thing is they both look identical :?, now im confused as i though the one that fitted to my f10 and my old sri fly would be different :?:

MC
05-05-04, 03:29 PM
the starter motors aren't different, its the block. The 1600 flywheel is bigger hense a starter motor would have to sit out further.

Just use the xe starter with the xe flywheel and clutch and an f13 box.

The box identification should tell you whether its cr or not, but failing that, count the teeth on the cogs.

MC

mstarkie
05-05-04, 04:22 PM
hi know its off topic but what wiring is there to do to fit these to a nova cheers for any help

Snowface
05-05-04, 06:59 PM
f10 CR and f13 cr i am told share the same internals.....

basically the only thing difrent between the boxes (as far as im aware) is the flywheel / clutch plate size.

bigger clutch to handle more power i assume.

olly i have an f13 CR box for sale....... in mint conidtion - ive had it all apart because i thought something was broken in my own gearbox. turned out it only needed my diff swapping so have the box surplus.

hmm... if they chare the same internals why are some called F10 wr and some F10 Cr? they might both ahave a 4.18 fd.

same for F13/F13cr.

Stuart
05-05-04, 08:51 PM
do you have no common sense??

the F13CR/WR has different ratios OBVIOUSLY but the internals that run them are the same.

same as the F10C/WR

Snowface
05-05-04, 09:42 PM
so the internals arn't physically the same? the number of teeth on the gears differ.

Stuart
05-05-04, 09:48 PM
shut the fuck up

so humans cant all be humans as they have different shaped bits inside them??!!

ollster
06-05-04, 08:49 AM
i leave my post for 5 mins and it turns into a slagging match! :lol: How do i identify the final drive and cluster in my f10 as i have looked on the end cover and there are no markings on it. Im guessing it was only the early box's with the plug for removing the layshaft that were stamped on the end plate. So is it somewhere else??? the casing has a part number but i am guessing that is just for the housing

Aragorn
06-05-04, 10:03 AM
i have a pic somewhere of the box labelling and everybox ive seen has had this including my F15 and my F13 without the input shaft plug

lemme see if i can dig it out for you

http://www.kevingalloway.demon.co.uk/gearbox.JPG

thats a Wide ratio with a 4.18 FD which u can tell from W418

ollster
06-05-04, 12:32 PM
thanx mate ill check that out tonight

Snowface
06-05-04, 06:10 PM
shut the f**k up

so humans cant all be humans as they have different shaped bits inside them??!!

LMAO! :D

NovaNeil
07-05-04, 12:49 PM
Just a quick question....

What happens if you fit the FD from a WR F13 box (4.18) onto a F15 box??? Will this gear the box down? as in make it fatser at less RPM...

Cheers.

Neil