PDA

View Full Version : Work in progess pics (the nova is in bits again lol)

ollster
04-05-04, 12:23 PM
A quick update on my car as i have not posted on here much lately.

Well i got myself a new toy for a run-around (cally se5) which is nice a boring to drive, but looks good lol

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ollster/Cally/cal8.jpg

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ollster/Cally/cal7.jpg

The nova has now been in bits since september but here are a few pics of it as i have taken it to bits

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ollster/NL.jpg

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ollster/Engine/SRI.jpg

And here is the little motor that will be going in when i get my arse into gear and prep the shell

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ollster/Engine/New%20engine/engine-3.jpg

So left to do is....

-Prep the shell, including stitch weld front end (has anyone got any advice on this?) and spray the engine bay

-Rebuild all front suspension (work uniballs rose joints, strengthened TCA's etc etc)

-Get willwoods and new servo on the car

-Have the wheels repainted in anthracite

-Get throttle bodies and fit to engine (also get lowered alternator bracket off mike if he decides to sell it :wink: ) and also decide on an exhaust manifold

-Source an f15 gearbox and fit quaife atb (any advice on best final drive and where to get one from??)

So not too much to do then :roll:, should hopefully be finished this side of the next millennium :lol:

S_Gault
04-05-04, 12:41 PM
oh... lovely little ecotec..

Ive built a few hairy ones of those..

Need steel rods in them thou if your going to rev them and change the bottom pulley as the key way is always crap.

Steven

Paul
04-05-04, 12:58 PM
Ecotec- Thats a C16XE Corsa GSi or Astra Sport engine isn't it?

elsey197
04-05-04, 01:29 PM
Not gonna be ready for the shows this yr then mate :?:
Looking good by the way and will be a monster when finished :) Nice colour choice for the wheels :wink:

xX NoVaBoY Xx
04-05-04, 02:15 PM
what you doing with your old engine mate looks a clean en.

ollster
04-05-04, 03:13 PM
Id love steel rods mate, but there not really necessary unless you going to rev it past about 8.5k (doubt ill go much higher than 7.5k) and they are not cheap at all. Never had any problems with the woodruff keys on the bottom pulleys mate, have you sheered them off before or something??

No im afraid it won?t be at any of the shows this year, ill be on the vxlscc Derbyshire region stand with the cally this year. Going to be hunting down all the nova bits at shows hopefully: D. If anyone see's my calibra come and say hello as im still a nova boy at heart :lol:

The old engine has been sold mate, broony of here bought it, and I believe he is driving around using it now.

Jon_nova1
04-05-04, 04:52 PM
Your nova is looking mint was it that rustless before you started

S_Gault
04-05-04, 05:04 PM
seen them break std rods much lower than that!!! have a look at them.. they are very small round the little end.

ive seen 2 road cars do it here this year alone. although a road car on a hydralic follower cant rev anyhow.. but still seen them do it

the bottom pulley always gives trouble too!! honestly I do this day in day out, have a look at it and you'll see that the keyway is only half the width of the pulley and prone to fretting.

Looks like a lovely wee car thou.. your health to drive her.

Steven

ollster
04-05-04, 05:15 PM
Your nova is looking mint was it that rustless before you started

It was very solid when i first bought it, but the paint had faded and seen better days so i stripped it down and had it re-sprayed in base coat and laquer. It was on dispaly at the concourse comp at pv last year, and i am hoping to have it finished for the pv show this time next year.

Here is a link to some pics of it before i stripped it down again

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ollster/calendar/?PHPSESSID=03810796bc6b2881aa166470dc3b052e

As for the engine i think i will see how i go on with it in standard trim to start with (arp rod bolts off course and a few other bits) but its only done 6000 miles, so the engine is still like brand new. I will look into uprating a lot of the internals at the end of next year as i am going to have some extensive work done to the head then.[/url]

Riggy
04-05-04, 05:42 PM
WOW just fell in love with this car as much as ilike keiths lol

excellent mate

:wink: ps just gotmyself 12 new wallpapers from that link hehehe :D

namkeaps
04-05-04, 06:55 PM
awesome!!

looks like its going to be a beast when its finnished ...

as i heard from a mate of mine the other day ... standard is the new moddified ... apparently

Dpnova
04-05-04, 06:56 PM
SWEET, looks superb

peester
04-05-04, 07:02 PM
nice one ol, its certainly looking like ya won't disapoint. :D

Will
04-05-04, 07:11 PM
where did you get the strut brace olly?

Will

krobinson
04-05-04, 07:18 PM
Car's looking fantastic mate. Looks like its going to be a real show stopper when finished! I may delay things here and launch mine next year instead of rushing things for this year!

What size of wilwoods are you going for? Will you be running rear discs?

Keith

badnova
04-05-04, 07:23 PM
look well nice

much better then my motar

benji
04-05-04, 07:38 PM
where did you get the strut brace olly?

Will

is it just me or is will seeing things??

nice car mate.

Riggy
04-05-04, 07:40 PM
1 strut brace lol

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/ollster/calendar/P1010003.jpg

novahead
04-05-04, 07:51 PM
Very Nice M8

benji
04-05-04, 07:54 PM
:roll: hmm maybe i should follow all the links before posting again

ollster
04-05-04, 09:39 PM
first of all thanx for all the positive feedback, gives me a bit of motivation to carry on with it and get it finished to the standard i want (you start loosing the plot after you have not driven it for a while and then you start to rush things):

Will: its a sparco strut brace that i got second hand then spent ages polishing it with autosol

krobinson: cheers mate im a big fan of your car too, i think both of our cars are being built with the same ideas in mind; subtle is the way forward!!!! As for the brakes, im not 100% sure yet, i dont think i can run any bigger than 284mm behind these rims, im still undecided whether to go for the veccy v6 setup or willwoods with bells and rotors, need to do a lot more research into this one. As for the rear i will keeping the standard drums, i dont fancy swapping ends at 60 +, as i nealry did this when the back was stripped out running nova van bias valves with brand new drums and shoes!!!!

Does anyone know what is the best gearbox to run withthis baby xe, as i fancy an f15, but i am guessing i will have to change to a pot flywheels then?? Idelaly i would like to run a f13cr with a quaiffe atb diff and a 4.18fd and a normal c14se flywheel.

badnova
04-05-04, 09:41 PM
what is the top of the engine done with
is is painted or coated with somehting
it looks wicked

ollster
05-05-04, 10:32 AM
the rocker box cover was painted mate, they are plastic on the sri engines