PDA

View Full Version : cat on sri

gurkin_sri
03-05-04, 10:50 PM
i have a j reg sri with no cat on it n was just wonderin if it just an early model or its been removed it still passed mot nwithout it????

_JH_
03-05-04, 11:03 PM
ask your MOT tester because a petty arguement along the lines of

"I asked the 3 MOT testers and they said yes"

"well I asked 4 MOT testers and they said no"

is about to takeover this post

gurkin_sri
03-05-04, 11:26 PM
well it says on the emissions test results paper i got with me new mot (no n catalyst vehicel...meter checked) i just thought all sri.s had a cat?? n just wonderd y mine didnt

mikeoxford
03-05-04, 11:56 PM
id say you had an early model..... j is about where the changeover occured

gurkin_sri
04-05-04, 12:01 AM
ok cheers m8 :D

Aragorn
04-05-04, 01:55 PM
err all SRi's left the factory with a cat

J plates wont need em for the mot tho and it seems someone has noticed that and removed it from yours previously

Adam
04-05-04, 02:21 PM
Will has repeatedly said that ALL novas aren't tested for the emissions crap because they were built before the rules came into force.
And i have seen the emissions rules stuff and there aren't any Novas listed there. But as already said, it depends which garage you go to.
One garage may fail it for no CAT, whilst another may not even notice it at all.

Snowface
04-05-04, 08:39 PM
all car's are tested for emissions. But if they are registered after 1992 they have more strict (have to have lower emissions).

andy r s
05-05-04, 01:06 AM
j reg no cat required /fitted / or tested,k reg fitted and required for test thats defo,work in garage,not sure exact date but i think a cat test is required after 1st aug 1992,and b4 1st aug 1992 a normal gas annalysis is required :) :) :) :) :)

Will
05-05-04, 08:29 AM
all car's are tested for emissions. But if they are registered after 1992 they have more strict (have to have lower emissions).

pmsl this comes up once a month these days

anyway AFAIK, the ministry of transports system does not have novas listed on it...... in England anyway.

yes after august 1992 blah blah....... but many ppl with K reg's without cats have passed, there are older cars from like 1995 (cant remember name without cats)

and snowface its all abt the cat converter, purely because the 2 emission style test on the system are these:

CAT and NON CAT

so novas have to (in theory) be tested under non cat.........

having said that if you got a late GSI the garage could test it under the mk3 astra C16SE code but that would be harsh..........

will be interesting when ive built mine as it will be a K reg with an early GTE block, proving that could be interesting mind!

Will

p.s. im going to be running a cat replacer pipe, so if the tester fails it on that you can take a guess what im going to do! ;)

Breeny
05-05-04, 08:34 AM
Buy a dodgy MOT?

Aragorn
05-05-04, 10:58 AM
as i said above it goes by the older out of the ENGINE or SHELL

if i took a 20XE (not C20XE) from a 1989 astra and shoved it into a P reg corsa gsi it would pass perfectly fine without a cat

its up to the OWNER of the vehicle to prove the engine is older - so pointing out the engine number is a pre-cat engine number would do fine

if u took a C14SE from a 1992 nova SRi and shoved it in the same P reg corsa gsi it wouldnt need to pass a cat test assuming you could somehow prove its a 1992 engine and not a 1993 > engine which would be much more difficult because u cant simply point out the engine code is pre-cat - u'd need to get vaux to give u some kinda proof on the build date of the engine from the engine number

mikeyredtop
05-05-04, 11:03 AM
i think epc gives u info if u type in the code...

Alex
05-05-04, 01:09 PM
will be interesting when ive built mine as it will be a K reg with an early GTE block, proving that could be interesting mind!

p.s. im going to be running a cat replacer pipe, so if the tester fails it on that you can take a guess what im going to do! ;)

It should be tested on the engine. The MOT manual clearly states that the oldest of the two - engine or shell is the date to be taken in consideration when testing emmisions. If a garage argues just get their mot manual and find it in there. I did exactly this on mine as i have a k reg early gte (E16SE) engine in there

Ste_Nova
05-05-04, 01:20 PM
the date the block was made is stamped on the rear

_JH_
05-05-04, 04:19 PM
...a petty arguement along the lines of

"I asked the 3 MOT testers and they said yes"

"well I asked 4 MOT testers and they said no"

is about to takeover this post

if only the lottery was this easy :lol:

novaboy1981
05-05-04, 10:45 PM
i have an SRi from Feb '92, and although having no cat is not illegal at that age, im gonna get fooked over emissions come the MOT!