PDA

View Full Version : my gearbox fixed / weekend.

mikeoxford
03-05-04, 10:25 PM
well. me and stu had a little car weekend. turned out we only had time to spend on my car - as was so much sh!t to do :lol:

first off travelled down to paul barret (AKA novashed) bought me a F13CR GTE box with a damaged casing - aye thankyou - just what i needed!

removed the casette out of my car, stared at it for a good 30 mins. couldnt find my broken tooth / gear. went to put it all back together stu said better check your diff as this tooth aint come from nowhere!

the cog that one of the driveshafts clips into on the drivers side had a tooth missing!

cut a long story short we were of the mindset "oh well s0d it, put a 3.74 diff in as you aint got a big enough vice to get crown wheel off"

just got me head round it, as i wasnt sure what i wanted to do.

then thought humm could be fun to see what its like with 3.74 as hadnt tried it.

in the process of doing it and though hang on a minute :lol:

laid on my back (ooeeerr!) for 30 mins. thinking i can do this - im brave.

and i swapped ALL of the gears in the inside of the diff :D

was well chuffed.

gearbox casette reasembled (4.18 back on again having removed it LOL)

gearbox reasembled, new dif plate to go on. all new gaskets.

some nice castrol oil and job done :D

other mods for the weekend.

:arrow: braided hoses all round (still gotta put the rears on)
:arrow: 2litre 16v brakes (FINALLY!)
:arrow: drilled / grooved discs, green stuff pads.
:arrow: miscellaneous painting on various items :wink:

had a productive weekend......

pics of broken gearbox and mods to come.... you know me and digicams :wink:

cooper_nova
03-05-04, 10:34 PM
kool nice one mike
well done :D

srs1
04-05-04, 12:20 AM
wel done mike and camb, about time you got it sorted. as far as i know. you aint actually said what your running!

elaberate!

broody
04-05-04, 12:23 AM
a very fast hamster in a little wheel for the Close Ratio aspect.

mikeoxford
04-05-04, 12:35 AM
F13CR with 4.18 FD

Stuart
04-05-04, 07:34 AM
as far as im aware i didnt work on mikes car this weekend lol

fair play on replacing the diff gears :D any pics?

novashed
04-05-04, 01:56 PM
glad to hear the box was of use in the end, hope runs ok when you get it going

DUNOVA.
04-05-04, 02:09 PM
How much would it cost to fit a new gearbox onto an SR 1.3

cooper_nova
04-05-04, 03:24 PM
How much would it cost to fit a new gearbox onto an SR 1.3

from a garage stu about 1-1/2 hrs labour mate ring up a few and get a rough idea

novashed
04-05-04, 04:39 PM
around 50-60 id say

mikeoxford
05-05-04, 02:35 PM
as far as im aware i didnt work on mikes car this weekend lol

fair play on replacing the diff gears :D any pics?

what do you want pics of? im armed with a digicam and im dangerous :lol:

thanks for working on my car in "spirit" camb :P

oh and pual (novashed) good to put another novaloader face to a name.....

yes gbox is fine now thanks paul

scott.parker
05-05-04, 06:26 PM
Nice one mike glad to see you got your gearbox sorted mate,so what els you got pland mate?
Think it's time for the pics :wink:
Bet your happy now anyway..

scott

Stuart
05-05-04, 07:34 PM
when i said, any pics. i meant of how you changed the diff gears :p

scott.parker
05-05-04, 09:21 PM
cambridge wrote: when i said, any pics. i meant of how you changed the diff gears.
Ah well i see. :lol:
But also think we could see some pics of mikes progress soon :roll: :D

scott

Stuart
05-05-04, 11:08 PM
to be honest i dont care about the car. i just care about the diff lol

mikeoxford
06-05-04, 12:38 AM
no pics of diff assembly im afraid :( thought u was referring to brakes etc.

anyway. heres the procedure for doin the diff:

1) get back ache, pray to the lord for rain and hail. :roll: no lie!

2) jack up car and remove road wheels and place on axle stands. you need to detach the lower arm so that you can pull the driveshaft out of the gearbox.

3) looking up into the access within the diff assembly, it is now possible to spin the driveshaft gears out throught the access.

4) to explain what it looks like inside the diff, there is four gears, two are fixed top and bottom on a pinion, and on the sides are two gears, so in total there are four meshed together at 90 degrees in a square shape.

5) now then - the driveshaft gears have a small shim behind - these will (or should) drop out with the driveshaft gears. (the driveshafts protude through the side of the diff when you stick em in the box, and locate in the centre of the gears)

6) so now we have removed the driveshaft driven gears.

7) now we pay attention to the fixed "pinion" gears.

8) because of the design / profile of the gears. it is neccessary to do it in two goes - you cant cheat and get it out the one way, i tried :wink: reason for this is design of the gears, the insides where they mesh together are square, but the backs of the gears are all radiused (for want of a better word!) so they all rotate in the diff

9) to do this.... remove the circlip from both ends of the pinion, which is on the outside of the cast of the diff. the pinion should now slide freely in and out of the diff. the pinion will only slide so far before it hits the crown wheel.

10) now imagine your looking up at the diff, falt on you rback on the floor, and the pinion is in front of you vertically.

11) push the pinion all the way upwards till it hits the crownwheel. it is now possible to remove the "pinion gear" that is furthest away from where you pushed the pinion out. so push the pinion up, remove the bottom gear.

12) push the pinion down - you can now remove the top gear.

13) when i say you can remove the gear in above few points, as long as there loose and your using the acess hatch in the diff cast - they literally drop out! :lol: much to the amazement of myself and stu when they landed on my head :evil:

14) one note to make the diff is solid cast, with this acess hatch i talk about - now you can turn the diff through 360 degrees obviously, the point to consider is there is TWO hatches - one which is big enough to get the gears in and out of, and a smaller one that is just big enough to get your fingers in to facilitate this job.

15) all that is left now inside the diff now is a pinion that slides up and down the assembly.

16) in true haynes stylee, refitting is reverse of removal :lol:

17) last point to consider...... before thinking yeah ive done it great, make sure you can get the driveshafts back in - if you can get one in great - now try the other side :!: :lol:

i found that at my first attempt the gears didnt line up with the hole once one shaft was in. if you imagine you have four gears, and they have to all mesh together through 90 degrees, its imperative when you put them back in that they all line up with the holes. if you do find they dont line up, it is because you are one tooth out.

oops - another point. the gears do drop out, but the method to get them in is.... get the pinion gears back in. then put a drivehsaft gear on, so theres three meshed together. now to get the last one in.... put your finger through the driveshaft hole to stop it moving - i suggest you put the driver side in first as the gearbox wall is thinner and you can get your mits round it easier.....

to get the fourth gear in - you cant just "push it in" it is neccessary as i said to hold the driver side gear in place, then as you put the fourth gear in - you have to force it to mesh with the others, to do this, SPIN it as it goes in. so it meshes with the top and bottom gear on the pinion.

so basically spin it for instance clockwise - and the one pinion gear will rotate one way, and the other will rotate the other.

NOTE: - ive tried to make that as simple as can be, but to be honnest if theres something you dont understand or whatever, i can try (or someone else!) can try to explain how to do it, but if you dont understand it TBH its probably a job you shouldnt undertake.....

its not as hard as it sounds, but unless you can apreciate the mechanics of it..... your stuffed

Cjscooby
06-05-04, 12:43 AM
Keep up the Good work Mike :wink: thought i would pop by novaload see how everyone is gettin along
cheers
Cj