PDA

View Full Version : sub 7 6x9

baha_guy
03-05-04, 10:11 PM
I have a 15'' sub + set of 6x9 witch both go to a amp..
So just like to no how far should i turn the 2 knobs up on both amps..
Because i have been told if i turn them up 2 far i will blow the speakers.

srs1
03-05-04, 11:58 PM
what you need to do is this.
one knob controlls the hetz level, the othewr controlls the volume.

put your head unit to your optium level. from there adjust these 2 levers.

first the hetz. adjust it till the sound, sounds good. then adjust the volume. do this tima and time agan until you are happy. but remember, this will only be as good as when you first set your top level (from the head unit)

Matty T
04-05-04, 12:42 AM
You should put the gains to minimum then put ur stereo to 3/4 volume.

Then turn up the gains on the amp until it just sarts to stuggle, then put them down a touch.

Dont turn the stereo more than 3/4 though as it will start to distort

baha_guy
04-05-04, 05:47 PM
Ive not found it to distort on what ever level i put it on.

Is that right if i set the amps to hi i will blow them. Dont want that to happen.

Should I turn my cd player up and then set both my amps till they sound good.

Matty T
04-05-04, 09:10 PM
Ive not found it to distort on what ever level i put it on.

Is that right if i set the amps to hi i will blow them. Dont want that to happen.

Should I turn my cd player up and then set both my amps till they sound good.

Like i said above, putting the volume/gain on anything above 3/4 will introduce some sort of distortion (well ita a generally accepted fiqure), whether you can hear it or not is a different matter. Follow the process i said above, if you still cant hear any distortion, then leave both amp gain and HU volume at 3/4 max, definately dont leave them on max tho

baha_guy
04-05-04, 09:27 PM
I got mine just over half way is thats ok.

TheWeenie
04-05-04, 10:51 PM
The "Hertz Level" is the crossover frequency. Set this to around 80Hz for now.

Then do as Matty T says.

Gain is NOT used for "making it loud", but to match the gain of the amplifier to the output of the headunit.

You're unlikely to blow the amps, however a clipped or distorted signal won't do your speakers any good.

TW

Onnie
04-05-04, 11:35 PM
and make sure all your bass on the HU is set to 0 and loudness/bassboost etc is switched off, these arent needed at all...

if you have these switched on, there is something wrong with your system!

baha_guy
05-05-04, 12:01 AM
and make sure all your bass on the HU is set to 0 and loudness/bassboost etc is switched off, these arent needed at all...

if you have these switched on, there is something wrong with your system!

I HAVE THEM SWITCHED ON DONT NO WHY.. THINK I NEED TO TURN BASS UP ON AMPS THEN TURN HEADUNIT DOWN

Onnie
05-05-04, 06:36 PM
leave all bass settings flat (on zero), they arent needed really, if they are then only a very small tweak is acceptable, whacking full bassboost means ur setup isnt doing what you want it to..

want more bass, bottom line, buy bigger amp and/or more/bigger subs.

see if u whack bassboost on full, for example it boosts 60hz, so now u have a huge peak on 60hz but the rest of the bass spectrum is flat, now u cant match the amp gain properly bcos of this big peak, where as if u leave everything flat and then match the gain correctly you get louder better bass across the WHOLE sub spectrum, not just that 60hz peak.

;)

baha_guy
09-05-04, 12:55 PM
:eating:Thank you all for ur help :eating: