PDA

View Full Version : amp over-heating probs

LANKYPASS
03-05-04, 07:59 PM
any of you get this problem much??

My amp did it today for the first time and i wanna no if you lot get it much.

cheers guys.

ps i got my gain on the amp a good way up too. i dont really wanna turn it down much cuz im bass mad. :roll:

srs1
03-05-04, 08:04 PM
as long as the amp is in a well ventolated place, then it should be ok.

where and how is it installed (how being, upside down etc)

LANKYPASS
03-05-04, 08:16 PM
kind of side ways on the back of the bass box. is this a problem??

LANKYPASS
03-05-04, 08:17 PM
and its in the boot

srs1
03-05-04, 08:22 PM
so the amp is sitting on the side of the box in the boot. there shouldn't be a reason for it to over heat as the hot air from the amp will be able to rise.
mmmmh

i can only think that it was (well, here it was) hot today and you are playing the tunes very hard!

or

you may have the wrong sized fuse in the power cable causeing too much power to the amp and allowing it to over heat before it blows up. what fuse is on the amp and what have you put up near the battery?

LANKYPASS
03-05-04, 08:43 PM
the amp is sittin on the back on of the bass box and facing towards the back seat and very close to. not very well ventilated at all to be quite honest. i just been told too, that amps are best flat as the air rises straight up. whereas now, the air is rising into itself :roll:

tut tut lol

what you think ???
PS youve been a great help srs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

srs1
03-05-04, 08:48 PM
:oops:

ohhh i have gone all shy!

i put my amps on the back of my seats, and the bass box hard up against it. i have never had a problem, so i dont think you should have either.

yes, amps are best laid flat for the reason you said. but this is practicle if you do a proper install or secure it in some way.

as long as the hot air rises and does not get trapped in the unit (ie. upside down or in a sealed inclosure) then there shouldn't be a prob. i would check the fuse ratings. remember the heat is generated by the power and work rate the amp is doing!

baha_guy
03-05-04, 10:01 PM
Where is the best place to put the amps so they are well ventolated place

I got one on side of the sub box as its built in.
other one on back of the seat...
Are these a good place.

Matty T
04-05-04, 12:43 AM
On the side is generally ok, you normally only have problems if the amp is upside down.

If your getting overheating, you should add some fans to the system

Paul
04-05-04, 01:28 PM
wood is an uinsulator, so it is a bad place to put the amplifier. Use 5mm metal spacers or something similar if you must mount it there.

badnova
04-05-04, 09:13 PM
talking about over heating
if you have a amp in a box would it over heat:?
if so could i use a fan to push air in and afan to take the air out

baha_guy
04-05-04, 09:29 PM
On the side is generally ok, you normally only have problems if the amp is upside down.

If your getting overheating, you should add some fans to the system

Ive seen some fans i like were would i put the fans there to big to go in side the amp

badnova
04-05-04, 09:36 PM
get some metal striping froma metal dealer and put 2 strips over the top of the heat sink and then nut and bolt the fans to that
seen it done like this before
does keep the heat sink cooler

TheWeenie
04-05-04, 10:34 PM
Enclose the amps in their own sealed "rack" and either use a pair of axial fans in a push-pull config, or a single radial fan.

Or buy a more capable amp that doesn't need to be pushed as hard to achieve the same output.

TheWeenie