PDA

View Full Version : short h/b cable for rear disks?

djp_y2k
03-05-04, 10:25 AM
just need to know what cable it is I'm supposed to use

I was told but have forgotten. ALso wot mods have to be done so it works properly, as I was told it wasnt just a case of putting a different cable on.

cheers

guys

mowgli
03-05-04, 10:29 AM
can't you just get the brackets (on the rear axle) cut off & moved so they work? I'd guess at about an hours work.

djp_y2k
03-05-04, 12:01 PM
I dont know.

Do the cable connect as normal then. Coz the disks I got the cable doesnt go in to the drum like it does on the standard drum brakes.

I presume u mean the bit that is radiused and has a plastic insert in which the cable runs through??

Phil GTE
03-05-04, 12:39 PM
Get it done

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=77685&highlight=cable

This method has worked without fault for over a year now.

krobinson
03-05-04, 02:31 PM
I'm doing the same Mod to mine at the moment. Should get it done before the end of the week!

How do you find your rear disc's phil? Any probs with them locking up?

Keith

djp_y2k
03-05-04, 05:00 PM
cheers guys, thats perfect.

So its a mk3 cav short cable. As long as it isnt off a 2.0l one.

Is this because it is different?

rgv_stu
04-05-04, 12:33 PM
i fiited rear discs this weekend
no lockups using 3/30 regulators
not yet bothered fitting a handbrake but all i was gonna do is weld a piece of pipe to lengthen the gap where the handbrake pulls and use standard cables - i will report when ive finished

the only thing ive found is that my pedal travel is quite long now...
what size m/c do the cav gsi / astra gte 16v use ???

S_Gault
04-05-04, 12:48 PM
Most of the racers I do work for end up having to plumb in a regulator into rear line.

I used to make on using an AP cylinder from a Mini but they have now gon e out of production, so I use a propriety valve like AP or Willwood.

If you use the willwood then watch out for the NPT fittings!!

Steven