PDA

View Full Version : mk2 horn

LukeManic
01-05-04, 09:31 PM
my horn just aint workin. not sure what to check first, is there a dedicated fuse for the horn? any ideas and tips would be greatly accepted.

epo
01-05-04, 09:35 PM
if u look on ur fuse box cover am sure there will be a symbol 4 it
also check at the push button that
the switch is ok and workin and the live is gettin 12v
check contacts at the horn that there not coroded up

LukeManic
01-05-04, 09:38 PM
ok thanks for that, also your signature rules - i hate those drivers, had one behind me today :evil:

epo
01-05-04, 09:41 PM
yeah they do my head in lol

LukeManic
02-05-04, 04:31 PM
checked fuses, checked horn switch on steering wheel - all seems ok and all wires and connections seem fine, i did try and get at the horn itself but its right at the back of the transmission so i didn't have the balls to strip all that. Any other ideas? :(

General Baxter
02-05-04, 11:35 PM
run two wires from the batt to the horn and connect it up, just to make sure its not the horn itself

LukeManic
03-05-04, 06:53 PM
ok i just cant get to the horn im not 100% sure where it is. while looking for it i have also discovered a cable daggling from the engine :? Its a split cable which runs off into two. one wire is brown and the other is black and on the end it has the metal forks. the wire is located around the raditor fan and is actaully connected to it's block but not directly (sorry its really hard to explain) can any1 shed some light on this for me, seems as if all things are going wrong at once :oops:

Stuart
03-05-04, 07:08 PM
the horn should sit at the front of the engine bay, on the gearbox i belive. the wiring for it comes down the loom where the rad fan is and then it just dangles. the two wires you speak of might be the horn wires :D

LukeManic
03-05-04, 07:15 PM
ive really had a good look round and i just cant find it, any1 got a pictute or diagram of it? :?

General Baxter
03-05-04, 10:35 PM
might not work because it might not be there, might of fell off :D

LukeManic
03-05-04, 10:52 PM
bah its a stupid horn anyway, couldn't even hear it when it did work :P its a 1.5TD isuzu engine mind, so is it still located near the gearbox?

mikeoxford
03-05-04, 11:59 PM
bah its a stupid horn anyway, couldn't even hear it when it did work :P its a 1.5TD isuzu engine mind, so is it still located near the gearbox?
ittl still be on the gearbox..... look by your rad fan and follow the same wiring

on some models though ther horns are in the wheel arch...

ever noticed how you never need to use your horn until its broke?

i had exactly the same thing.

horn bosted then i needed it lol

LukeManic
04-05-04, 12:02 AM
hahahaha :D thats so true twice today i went to use it! lol thanks guys will have another look 2morow

rysmee
04-05-04, 08:39 AM
the fuse and wiring for the horn is seperate and runs down the left of the engine bay. if it is a twin hown the wiring will split where the left hand radiator pipe is and go down with the rad switch, then go off under the front wheel arch where one horn will be. good luck.. they are a bitch to get off as they are bolted to the front bumper mounting. the second will be onthe front of g box as said. the terminals are prone to corrosion though so they may just need cleaning or strip the wire back and stick some new ones on(just spade connectors)

Alex
04-05-04, 01:13 PM
my horn fell off about about 2 months ago

Freak
04-05-04, 01:26 PM
My mk2 horn was nowhere near the gearbox or wheel arch.
Late model car tho, so may have been different.

Mine was somewhere under the rad ( long time ago cant remember where exactly)

Alex
04-05-04, 01:36 PM
My K reg nova has the horn (well it is meant to be) just behind the rad slightly to the right when facing the car.

acf8181
06-05-04, 04:49 PM
the fuse and wiring for the horn is seperate and runs down the left of the engine bay. if it is a twin hown the wiring will split where the left hand radiator pipe is and go down with the rad switch, then go off under the front wheel arch where one horn will be. good luck.. they are a bitch to get off as they are bolted to the front bumper mounting. the second will be onthe front of g box as said. the terminals are prone to corrosion though so they may just need cleaning or strip the wire back and stick some new ones on(just spade connectors)

reckon it was a bit of an 'afterthought' when they built the car? :lol: