PDA

View Full Version : E16 SE AFM Mods

ad19car
01-05-04, 09:26 PM
Got a E16 SE. Now I know about the modification you can do to the coil spring tension on the flap valve, to have better response and for it to open further. Is this gonna work or is it gonna screw things up completely.

Thanks all

Aragorn
02-05-04, 06:18 PM
i'd imagine if u adjusted it to open more with less airflow then engine simply woudlnt run properly as the engine relys totally on that flap deflection to calculate airflow

any mods to the opening tension is gonna totally alter the ecu's fuel map and render it m0nged

Alex
02-05-04, 11:14 PM
It will not give you more power as such, but it does reduce the tension on it so it moves quicker and a lot more freely. This in turn will give you a slightly better throttle response time which is slightly noticable but not by a huge amount. If you decide to do this DO NOT get over excited and reduce the spring tension by more than a couple of notches as you will bugger it up.

Another mod you can do is remove the wedge on the butterfly in the throttle housing to improve airlow. See MCs post about tuning the 16 8v engine.

if you want to know this in more depth, read the book "How to tune and modify bosh fuel injection" by Ben watson. I seriously recommend this book if you dont really know what you are doing.

ad19car
03-05-04, 11:33 PM
O.k thanks guy's, Done the butterfly mod - seemed like a restrictor they put in from the factory :x ! Yeah I've moved the spring a couple of notches, I think the best thing is to put it back to the way it was til I get the book! If it aint broke, dont fix it and all that!

Thanks again