PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 SPi to MPi

Metromartin
30-04-04, 11:33 PM
Hi all

Intrested to find out about Converting a 1992 J reg 1.4i (SPi) Nova into a 1.4 MPi.
Are there any benifits from just fitting MPi as I belive MPi gives slightly better increase in power. (and engine bay looks :)

If I was to go ahead with this, would I need to fit the MPi fuel pump as it might be a higher pressure rating, 1.4MPi ecu and also does the MPi manifold fit onto the same head, eg the bolts all line up and a straight swap from the old SPi system? Are all the fuel return pipes the same?

Also 1.4 MPi Nova's seem rather rare in the scrappies so would any vauxhall 8v MPi system be ok?

Thanks in advance,

Martin

mikeyredtop
01-05-04, 12:09 AM
ile tell u were u can get a cheap setup, c14se are common in astra mk3's... but to gain ur bhp u will need to take the head, inlet manifold, loom ecu, fuel pump.

Snowface
01-05-04, 09:44 AM
1.4 spi - 60bhp
1.4 mpi - 82bhp.

the 1.4 spi bottom end is probably different to the mpi as we were discussing earlier.

The flywheel and clutch is bigger on the mpi engines. And i'm pretty sure they are small on the spi 1.4.

But if ur planning on using the same gearbox it might be ok to keep your bottom end. I'm not sure if the mpi head will fit the spi block though.

anyone?

mikeyredtop
01-05-04, 01:23 PM
i think the botom end is the same, except for the flywheel...

to be onest if ur gonna be changing all this it would svae time just to change the whole engine...

Metromartin
02-05-04, 11:24 AM
Dam seems alot more work than expected with needing the MPI head as I would have thought there'd been the same on MPI and SPi. Didn't want to touch the block & head :( Just was toying with the idea of just fitting MPI and not all the SRi MPi features for 82bhp, just in the middle of the 2 somewhere. and mabey getting a performance air filter.

With the changing to the Mpi engine loom, is it disconnectable from the main car loom (mk2) or would you need to change the whole car loom like on the mk1 as its all one peice with no connectors.

TIA

Martin