PDA

View Full Version : suspension for track days

m.d.
30-04-04, 10:51 AM
im being made redundant from where i work at the mo due to the factory closing. (goin to some forighn country like every other factory :evil: )

ive managed to find another job which means that my redundancy money is mine to do what i want with. :D

i am still running standard gas shocks with gmax -60 mm springs. it handles like a pig with the 2.0 in it and no weight in the back so im thinking of coilovers. i quite like the idea of coilovers but the kits that you can get which include rear coilovers too.

anyone know where from what the cost of these kits are and if they make the car handle well. :?:

mikeyredtop
30-04-04, 10:57 AM
coilovers are fine 4 the front but for the rear u would have modify the inner arch unless u can get megga skinny 1's...
if u do ppl say that the turret needs stregthening as its not meant for all the weight
most kits consist of coilovers 4 the front and spring and seperate damper 4 the bak...

TUBZGSXR
30-04-04, 10:59 AM
i have the same prob mate, lowered 60mil , shite springs etc.... was thinkin of coilovers but not so sure as they can be realy harsh on places with bad roads an become a pain eveyday, but i fits just for track then yea deifntely, im thinkin of getin the premuim springs from courtenay sport as there specifically designed for valver novas ( same set up as the famous 2litre on throttle bodies that was made for Vicky butler on that jeremy clarkson video) still not to sure though, an with those it wont be so low on the ground , only 40mil max i think...

mikeyredtop
30-04-04, 11:03 AM
ive got spax coilovers and 4 every day driving is awfull, when ppl talk u hear the bumps in their voice. but its fun to drive...

m.d.
30-04-04, 11:37 AM
ive got spax coilovers and 4 every day driving is awfull, when ppl talk u hear the bumps in their voice. but its fun to drive... :lol:

where did you get yours from mate. i was looking at a set of spax coilovers for 500 quid in my local ripspeed

mikeyredtop
30-04-04, 01:14 PM
they were on the car when i got it but ive a receipt for around 500 yes...

Slatter
30-04-04, 10:02 PM
Yep ive also got the Spax Coilovers i paid 550 2 years ago .. if u like ure suspension being in ure tyres then they are great ! Lol nahh ive always got on well with mine but as the others have said very bumpy when not on a nice perfectly smooth road.... But does anyone know what a perfectly smooth road is like :roll:

Slatter

Philsutton
30-04-04, 10:08 PM
ive got spax coilovers and 4 every day driving is awfull, when ppl talk u hear the bumps in their voice. but its fun to drive

very true i hate driving mine round town, especially with the s**t roads in this country.

I never had to modify my rears when i put them on, or any other nova/corsa ive fitted them to.

CP
30-04-04, 11:08 PM
Avos will fit on the rear esp. if you run the car fairly low - 50 ish but its very tight.

Coilovers on a road car:

pros
-can set ride height
- can set damper rating (if fitted)
- can be set to get better performance at a track if you regularly do track days -

cons
- usually too stiff for comfortable road use - you can get softer spring ratings but they will always be pretty harsh
- quite often too stiff for efficient fast road use if roads are bumpy - car handles badly jumping from pothole to pothole