PDA

View Full Version : Bugger!!!!!!

NOVASH
29-04-04, 11:14 AM
i was trying to do an oil change at the weekend and nothing went well...
drained the oil.....noticed i needed a new sump gasket....got 1...took the down pipe off to get the smp off....nice and easy...undid the sump and tried to get it off...it took a damn lot of effort but managed to do it...then while it was off i thought i would take the oil filter off... not a chance...dunno what it had been put on with but it took an age to get it off...

so i put the new filter on..nice and easy
get all the remains of the old gasket off and put the gasket on (with Hermatite sealer)...start to put it back on and put all the bolts in....
start to tighten them all up and what happens? i snap a fuckin head off a bolt.... :o
im told it will leak if i dont get the remaining thread out and put another bolt in...so this weekend me and my step dad have to drill a hole in the thread and try and use some easy outs to get it out ....he is an electrical and mechanical engineer so knows what he is doing...
any helpfull suggestions?
if it goes wrong im told i will need a new engine?

i feel like such a twat!!!!

mikeyredtop
29-04-04, 11:29 AM
they snap easy, little buggers, ide only worry if it were 1 next the gearbox but if u can easily get it done do it..

NOVASH
29-04-04, 11:40 AM
its one to the front....
im gunna get some stainless steel ones to replace them all...

elsey197
29-04-04, 11:47 AM
I done this too, when replacing the gasket, have just left it :lol: it does leak a little :?

mikeyredtop
29-04-04, 11:47 AM
they snap because the thread doesnt go in much and if u use a longer bolt then it gets stuck and wont pull the sump tight on... and so u try and tighten it more and snap!

Snowface
29-04-04, 06:27 PM
safest way is to look in haynes for the torque and then use a torque wrench.

mikeoxford
30-04-04, 12:18 AM
safest way is to look in haynes for the torque and then use a torque wrench.
i always torque them

for the simple reason you go in all heavy handed (sometimes without realising!) and whack them all up tight, and the damn thing leaks - same as the rocker cover

the bolts are like 6nm or lbft or something ridiculously small. probably a tiny bit more than finger tight

*touches wood i have no leaks*

NOVASH
30-04-04, 02:11 PM
i havent got a toque wrench
i have just got some stainless steel replacements...
good or bad idea?