PDA

View Full Version : Took the yellow beast to get RR'd

SKoob
29-04-04, 11:09 AM
I took my nova to get rolling roaded yesterday, when I got there it had 56bhp at the fly :o with a lot of work it managed 86bhp at the fly, 81lbs/ft torque and 67bhp at the wheels. It still doesn't idle as the idle screws on the carbs were siezed. Quite pleased with the improvement, does feel very quick. I've still yet to put the vernier on and i'll probs get the carbs rebuilt, hopefully see the 100bhp mark :wink:
http://img12.photobucket.com/albums/v30/SKoob/My%20Nova/powergraph.jpg
The spec is:
1360cc SR engine
Dellorto twin 40's
Piper 285 Cam with Vernieer Pully
Matched Inlet manifold for carbs to head
Gasflowed Head
3 angle valve seats
Skimmed to compression ratio of 11- 1
New +1mm oversized pistons with rebore
New Rings, Shells, etc
Reground Crank

Jim
29-04-04, 11:15 AM
Which RR did you take it to? That figure sounds pretty low for those modifications.

Jim

krobinson
29-04-04, 11:28 AM
With those mod's, you should be seeing well into the 110-115 BHP mark!

I'll be running a 32/34 webber, and should hopefully see 85-90bhp!

Keith

Barn
29-04-04, 11:29 AM
yeah it does to be honest mate....

that is only around 16ish bhp gain over a 'standard' 1.3SR with no modifications....admittedly the ones going around are prob running less than that due to tired engines etc but you get the idea

I would have thought you would be seeing at least 90bhp @ the fly...

:?

SKoob
29-04-04, 11:31 AM
well I took it to Spamspeed of Iron Acton, he couldn't adjust some of the stuff on the carbs as they were siezed. He said that really the carbs need stripping and checking. The rolling road was only fitted about 3 months ago and calibrated. It def feels like more than 86bhp, but its a pig to drive due to not idling :|

Adam
29-04-04, 11:44 AM
well I took it to Spamspeed of Iron Acton, he couldn't adjust some of the stuff on the carbs as they were siezed. He said that really the carbs need stripping and checking. The rolling road was only fitted about 3 months ago and calibrated. It def feels like more than 86bhp, but its a pig to drive due to not idling :|

Thats probably why it was low then, due to the idle trouble.
As everyone else has said them mods should see you well over the 100bhp mark.

Anyway once its sorted it should be beating standard GSIs/GTEs, :+:

Aragorn
29-04-04, 11:59 AM
gorra mind taht benji's only did 92bhp with a similar spec (ok an sri head but thats gonna be better than your 1200 one due to it having larger valves)

i think that folk are just too used to BS figures from shitly calibrated rolling roads

SKoob
29-04-04, 12:01 PM
nova sports are 1.3s on twin 40 carbs and they are 100bhp machines :| so It must be the carbs or something wrong with mine

benji
29-04-04, 06:15 PM
nova sports that are 100bhp had a cam, the one's with just the t40's made 85bhp.
by the sounds of it your carbs need a rebuild. go on amazon search for 'how to build and power tune weber and dell'orto carb's' it tell's you how to strip and rebuild the carbs and what to check for while they are in bit's. it also tells you how to set them up.

when i first did my carbs they made 80bhp. fitting head that brought the power up. get the carbs rebuilt and also check what chokes you have and the sizes of all your jets. once that is sorted get back on a rolling road
at the end of the day it's how the car drive that matters so don't worry about the figures.

where is iron acton?

Ben
29-04-04, 06:25 PM
Spam speed arent bad am considering taking our 2.0l there (only 2 miles from my house) only other local option is Interpro and i would rather drive to Dundee than set my car loose over there.

Snowface
29-04-04, 06:44 PM
most sports are 85bhp yes. If u had the optional Irmischer camshaft it added some more but i wouldn't have thought it gave 15bhp more (100bhp) just by changing the cam would it?

benji
29-04-04, 06:49 PM
i think the actual figure is more along the lines of 95 so that would be 10 bhp from a cam which is about right

Snowface
29-04-04, 06:55 PM
i'm expecting around 80-85bhp from my 1300 block that is similar spec to yours except i got a 32/34.

benji
29-04-04, 07:31 PM
gorra mind taht benji's only did 92bhp with a similar spec (ok an sri head but thats gonna be better than your 1200 one due to it having larger valves)

i think that folk are just too used to BS figures from s**t calibrated rolling roads

true

Slatter
29-04-04, 09:29 PM
Get that vernieer on and the cam timing set up well ..... I still cant believe it was on 56 when you got it makes me look very bad :oops: :oops:

When i timed it up it was a right pig 285 cam on standard pully ... i dunno how well you can get timing with them ?????? anyone any ideas ??/

Slatter

benji
29-04-04, 09:38 PM
i think mike and dan both have their vernier's set to zero(same as standard).

Jim
29-04-04, 10:22 PM
When i timed it up it was a right pig 285 cam on standard pully ... i dunno how well you can get timing with them ?????? anyone any ideas ??/

Slatter

I had a 285 in mine. I didn't have a standard pulley though, so that might have helped. It idled ok though. Turned it up a little in winter, but other than that it was fine.

Jim

SKoob
30-04-04, 09:07 AM
Ben I would def recomend Spamspeed, very helpful and cheap too, i'm saving up to get the carbs rebuilt, putting the vernier on when i change the cam belt soon, then i'll see what its like.

MC
30-04-04, 09:36 AM
I am affraid that that is down on power, but rectifying the cam timing and carb problems should help.

Most importantly, what size chokes do you have?

MC

SKoob
30-04-04, 09:45 AM
don't know, he tried a few chokes, but it was overfueling at low revs, then would run lean on the high revs, so he tried differnet emulsion tubes, still not much better, so put a fuel regulator on that seemed to help. Some of the screws on the carbs were siezed so he couldn't really adjust them and rebalance them. I'm hoping that the problem is with the carbs :| don't fancy taking the engine apart :|

Ben
30-04-04, 11:09 AM
I thought his quote was a little expensive but not too bad.

m.d.
30-04-04, 11:46 AM
it may be something silly like the cam belt could be a tooth out. a friend of mine had that on his valver for ages and even the rolling road tuners never noticed. just kept adjusting the dizy timing. when he had the belt sorted it gained him about 20bhp. lol

SKoob
30-04-04, 12:11 PM
i'll get check it out, grrr i'm skint and have got a car that still doesn't run right or start sometimes :cry: . Ah well should all be sorted and be a right flying machine once done 8)

_JH_
01-05-04, 11:20 PM
I know it can't be nice for people to keep pointing out its low, but just to add some useless info, pug 205 rallyes (the british release) and 1.4XSs are 1360cc. they run a 32/34 solex carb and are 85bhp and 85lbft of torque as standard.

bloody nice to drive too!

mikeoxford
03-05-04, 11:30 PM
i think mike and dan both have their vernier's set to zero(same as standard).

it pi$$ed me right off having bought a vernier set to zero.

so i took it back to the shop "as it was the wrong one for my car" :lol:

and got stu to chrome me a normal pulley instead 8) looks just as good....