PDA

View Full Version : getrag transmission? (F28?)

mikeoxford
28-04-04, 12:39 PM
dont now how to spell it

think its getrag or whatever.

anyway

went gearbox shopping today, only found wide ratio F13's which is a real blow, as they had one reconditioned unit in and another box that looked BRAND NEW, all the sumps etc were brand new goldly colour metal. the reverse switch was chrome and it had new linkages and new beartings, and the whole casing just gleemed newness about it. gutted

anyway in the vauxhall section there was a "getrag" gearbox, i couldnt see F28 written anywhere, but then again it is nothing like a normal box so didnt know where to look.

box looked in good condition, and they charge ?25 + VAT per box if its any use to anyone.......

mike

Ste_Nova
28-04-04, 02:14 PM
why not just fit an f13 wr?

i've got the f10/5 wr in my 1.4sr and it makes it loads nicer to drive

mikeoxford
28-04-04, 03:53 PM
dunno.

havent got a valid reason really.

i like the acceleration, and spose itll affect my pod times when i get round to it

Jim
28-04-04, 04:04 PM
i like the acceleration, and spose itll affect my pod times when i get round to it

Yeah, come on, pull your finger out :P

Jim

P.S. Remember...Big Brother will be watching you :twisted: :wink: :P

mikeoxford
28-04-04, 04:05 PM
P.S. Remember...Big Brother will be watching you :twisted: :wink: :P

:lol: yeah and all his friends

Aragorn
29-04-04, 12:25 AM
yey someone actually believes me with my WR = better comments :P

fuck sitting at 5k on the motorway doing 95

3500 is much nicer :p

Ste_Nova
29-04-04, 08:49 AM
lol i still sit at 5k.... but with the speedo a bit higher

Barn
29-04-04, 11:39 AM
do the CR/WR affect acceleration that much then?

would have thought they did...so surely the CR would be better to use on a decently tuned engine that doesn't want top end?

how about putting a 4.18 FD in say a f10/5 WR like Ste got? worthwhile or not...? assuming it doesn't already have that final gear reduction...

and what gearbox is 'best' for a car build with acceleration/Santa Pod (lol) in mind?

95mph @ 5000rpm is abit rough, lol, sounds like my SR

Ste_Nova
29-04-04, 01:20 PM
mine is still good in 1st and 2nd.. third is a bit slow... and 4th is same as old 5th.. you just have to redline it in everygear to get the best out of it

Snowface
29-04-04, 06:39 PM
lol i still sit at 5k.... but with the speedo a bit higher

haha.

wouldn't you have to change gear more in a CR box?

Up pod you'd have to go into fourth, but on a WR you could perhaps get away with staying third.

Ste_Nova
29-04-04, 06:47 PM
the wr is shit for 0-60... but is good for fuel and motorway cruising, but you do have to drop it to 4th to get up hills

with the 1.6t in the wr should be good cause it will have to power to drive it

Ste_Nova
29-04-04, 06:48 PM
Up pod you'd have to go into fourth, but on a WR you could perhaps get away with staying third.

the pod isn't real life driving... anyway in my 2.0 16v i cross the line limitering it in 3rd

Aragorn
29-04-04, 10:24 PM
and the ratios in the F20 are very close to a WR with a 4.18FD (they are infact CR with 3.55FD but the long FD stretches em right out) so most 2.0 folks with f20's will have similar gearing to a WR box anyway

mikeoxford
29-04-04, 11:21 PM
the wr is s**t for 0-60... but is good for fuel and motorway cruising, but you do have to drop it to 4th to get up hills

used to get on my tits.

when i had the WR it was only mildly tuned. and i was like surely i should be able to cruise in 5th - nope. not enough poke unless its flat or downhill :!:

even lost speed on a motorway if it was up hill slightly! was like driving the 1litre pink beast of a metro :o that my mom calls an excuse of a car :lol:

shouldnt slate it - im insured on it from 8 oclock tomorow :roll: :evil: