PDA

View Full Version : Alex's Nova *Finished*

krobinson
27-04-04, 08:55 PM
http://jon44w.co.uk/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14974

Instead of taking the 144 pics onto here, i've just attached the link!

Opinions welcome.. Alex should be on here soon to chat.

Keith

cooper_nova
27-04-04, 08:59 PM
that looks well sweet mate!!!
bet he's pround of it??
:D

Chris
27-04-04, 09:09 PM
lookin v.sweet

elsey197
27-04-04, 09:35 PM
looks nice, i love certain bits of this car but dont love it as a whole car :)

badnova
27-04-04, 09:52 PM
looks sweet

dan_mk1
27-04-04, 09:58 PM
lovely arse, not too keen on the rest, like paul said......certain bits are awsome, some bits.......not to my taste i guess

Dpnova
27-04-04, 10:20 PM
Thats mint 8)

mikeoxford
27-04-04, 10:27 PM
v nice

tell him he wants a nice stainless cap to go on his brake resevoir cap. :wink:

got some at the moment.

karl Rowntree
27-04-04, 10:27 PM
Looks like a fair bit of works gone into that Keith.

Whats the spec on the engine mate?

ade
28-04-04, 12:46 AM
that lush m8! Nice work.

What the door cards done in and the speaker/arm rest? Looks like its flocked but close ups look like material???

Ade

namkeaps
28-04-04, 12:53 AM
i'm personally not usually a fan of smooth boots but that one looks very very tidy. well done, one tidy looking nova mate!!

Jim
28-04-04, 08:28 AM
That is a really clean looking Nova. Nice one.

Jim

Nath
28-04-04, 09:46 AM
sexy! thats one awesome nova i like it all.

nova m@rk
28-04-04, 12:13 PM
i like that spoiler better than the mondeo one
wicked car dude :D

djp_y2k
28-04-04, 05:53 PM
that looks real nice and tidy.

Like it alot.

scott.parker
28-04-04, 06:12 PM
Spot on im liking it lots,keith tell him he has a mint car there,but i bet there is a few thing your not keen on :lol: only jokin mate.

scott

krobinson
28-04-04, 09:51 PM
Looks like a fair bit of works gone into that Keith.

Whats the spec on the engine mate?

ENGINE: -

Type:
1998cc C20XE Fully Blueprinted

Head:
Gas flowed, solid lifters, Brass lined valve guides, Re-profiled Standard cams, ARP Head bolts, Metal head gasket, Kent vernier pulleys, Kent Timing Belt, Steel tensioners

Block:
Standard, Acid Treated, Manhale Flat top pistons, Up rated Rings, Steel Conrods, Titanium Links

Bottom:
Steel Crank (Lightened and Balanced), up rated Shell and Main Bearings,
ARP Bottom End Bolts, Re-baffled sump, Dual sump Bungs, up rated oil pump, Tin for Aluminium sump replacement.

Carbs:
45 Dellorto Carbs on matched SB Developments inlet manifold, C/w Shortened trumpets and Piper-X filters, run from Facet Silver top fuel through King filter regulator all c/w braided Hosing

Ignition:
SBD Distributor-less 952i MBE Management System with SBD Dizzy blanking cover, 7mm Silicon Leads by Split fire, GM Vectra coil pack and NGK Titanium tip spark plugs.

Exhaust:
Custom made stainless steel manifold, mongoose stainless steel System c/w Polysport Exhaust mounts

Other:
Samco Hosing (blue), Alloy header tank, Oil catch, Brake res, Battery cover, Polished rocker cover and cam belt cover, SBD Carbon spark plug cover, 100amp SBD small alternator and bottom pulley conversion, Heavy duty power bull Diesel battery, Double copper core radiator, Grp A Pro Tec engine mounts, M-Tech engine mount brackets

TRANSMISSION: -

Five speed F20 Gearbox, Front wheel drive, 90% LSD, M-Tech Custom one- piece shafts and replacement hubs with Astra GTE Outers and inners, Sash's Clutch.

-----------------------

Not too sure on BHP, but at a guess, 210/220?

Keith

scott.parker
28-04-04, 09:58 PM
:o bugger me thats some kit in there then,he must have spent a small fortune on it...
Well i dont think i will be in any hurry to mach it..

scott :)

krobinson
29-04-04, 02:10 PM
It should be fit for some interesting Quater mile times!

Keith

j1400
29-04-04, 02:30 PM
Head:
Gas flowed, solid lifters, Brass lined valve guides, Re-profiled Standard cams, ARP Head bolts, Metal head gasket, Kent vernier pulleys, Kent Timing Belt, Steel tensioners

Re-profiled cams with solid lifter? Does the profile have a mega ramp on it cause the max lift is limieted on std cam based re-grinds

[quote="krobinsonBlock:
Standard, Acid Treated, Manhale Flat top pistons, Up rated Rings, Steel Conrods, Titanium Links
[/quote]

Any idea why he's using Mahle Flat tops and titanium rods? when this limits with valves lift, esp if the bottom end can rev to 9k??

Alex Mac
29-04-04, 04:53 PM
[quote=krobinson]
Head:

Re-profiled cams with solid lifter? Does the profile have a mega ramp on it cause the max lift is limieted on std cam based re-grinds

Any idea why he's using Mahle Flat tops and titanium rods? when this limits with valves lift, esp if the bottom end can rev to 9k??

Fao j1400

Myself and M.E.B worked very hard to come up with best, workable combination during the engine build alot of new ideas were developed during this period, we experienced none of the problems which you descride, basically with regards to the cams all we worked on was the basic cam structure, then they were dramatically re worked, this allowed us to design the cams as we wanted not to what Kent or Piper dictate,

With regards to the mahale flat top pistons ,we found these to give us the compression ratios which we required, the conrods are not titanium they are steel c/w titanium links ie the Gudgeon, clips and small end bearing liners,

The engine has been bench tested to 8500rpm with no problems nad the MBE is limited to 8000rpm so I think and hope I should have no problems

That may or may not answer your questions

By the Way Hello to everyone

I'm Alex Mac, the owner of CBZ5533

Thanks for all your great comments, it nice to see that my hard work is to your pleasing

Hopefully you may see this car and myself at the shows this year, I don't know any of you so don't be frightened to give me a tap on the shoulder

I don't bite , well not hard anyway

Speak to you all soon

Alex Mac

j1400
29-04-04, 05:23 PM
Hi Alex, my fault for not read the spec slow enough. What duration lift have you ended up with? I take it you've had to pocket the mahle pistons quite a bit? certainly sounds like a good build though, it's it fully run in now then? What has it made on the RR?

Will you be at the summer I'll keep an eye out for the car when I'm over there.

Good job :D

_Ben_
29-04-04, 05:36 PM
Also, can you elaborate on this

Bottom:
ARP Bottom End Bolts, Re-baffled sump, Dual sump Bungs, up rated oil pump, Tin for Aluminium sump replacement.

Is that an SBD steel crank? If so, how come you chose that? Shell looks spot on, like the underside detailing - something which I had planned.

*edit*

Also, whats the bore of the manifold?

Cheers.

epo
29-04-04, 07:31 PM
looks spot on :+:

benji
29-04-04, 07:57 PM
quality.

how did you make this? i want to do one myself, not got round to having a go yet? does it have a drainage hole? is it easily removable for cleaning??

http://www.jon44w.com/images/bazpics/2004-04-26AlMacNova/almacnovathumbs025.jpg

benji
29-04-04, 07:59 PM
lol. just re-read my post. all the mint kit on that car and i'm more interested in a redbull can :roll:

cooper_nova
29-04-04, 08:17 PM
lol. just re-read my post. all the mint kit on that car and i'm more interested in a redbull can :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
wots it being used for benji??

benji
29-04-04, 08:26 PM
the breather pipe fire's shit out of it when it's getting some stick. so i need somthing to catch it in, i'm fed-up of having to clean my engine bay

cooper_nova
29-04-04, 08:28 PM
oh rite kool!
:D

Ian
29-04-04, 08:50 PM
how do you find the fk coilovers?

krobinson
30-04-04, 04:45 PM
how do you find the fk coilovers?

He was saying he finds the springs a little soft, and might upgrade the poundage at a later date!

Keith

_Ben_
30-04-04, 06:43 PM
KRobinson, so whats the beef on the bottom end of this engine then?

Cheers

krobinson
01-05-04, 12:05 AM

Cheers

I have no idea mate.. you'll have to ask alex that...

Alex??

Keith

Col_Mk1
01-05-04, 12:43 AM
wel nice mate

Alex Mac
01-05-04, 01:00 AM

Cheers

I have no idea mate.. you'll have to ask alex that...

Alex??

Keith

FAO _Ben _

No its not a SBD crank, it one which we developed ourselves,

We found on bench testing that the orig. crank and the SB crank showed signs of stressing, so we machined our own bare in mind we were testing it to 8500 rpm way over its normal use, we found this to complament the rest of the engine modifications well when balanced out

I wish I could tell you more, but I will have it talk to MED to get the tech speak

FAO Benji

We fabricated that wee catch tank, from a 4" dia pipe added 2 end pieces, welded in an hydralic right angle union, and welded the section in for the K&N to sit, no drain hole, we just screw it out and empty it, the Red Bull tin shell fitted over it nicely, took me three tins to get it right, but at least I stayed awake to do it,

FAO Ian

I find them a bit softly sprung, but I think PVD sent me the wrong springs on speaking to FK directly they said for a 2L you need FK1866 springs to support it, rather than the standard kit springs but PVD knew best, that hopefully will be sorted soon

Another thing they are not very good for 17" rims I have the Kahns as you know which are 7" wide, at hte ride height I have the car the spring platform is fairly low, meaning the tyre are nearly touching the spring and platform (paper distance) come back speedlines all is forgiven, I say they will rub under heavy cornering nad I do not want to put a 5mm spacer in as they sit far enough out as it is, ie the wing will slap down nicely on the tyre (bugger)

Problems problems

Thats what it has been like for the whole rebuild, s**t happens

Im going to stop now brain fade to much writting

Cheers Alex

By the way your information I have enclosed the full tech spec

Cheers Keith for the thread mate

Technical Specification

Make- Vauxhall Model- Nova 2.0L 16v Year- 1989 Reg- CBZ 5533

ENGINE: -

Type:
1998cc C20XE Fully Blueprinted

Head:

Block:

Bottom:

Carbs:
45 Dellorto Carbs on matched SB Developments inlet manifold, C/w Shortened trumpets and Piper-X filters, run from Facet Silver top fuel through King filter regulator all c/w braided Hosing

Ignition:
SBD Distributor-less 952i MBE Management System with SBD Dizzy blanking cover, 7mm Silicon Leads by Split fire, GM Vectra coil pack and NGK Titanium tip spark plugs.

Exhaust:
Custom made stainless steel manifold, mongoose stainless steel System c/w Polysport Exhaust mounts

Other:
Samco Hosing (blue), Alloy header tank, Oil catch, Brake res, Battery cover, Polished rocker cover and cam belt cover, SBD Carbon spark plug cover, 100amp SBD small alternator and bottom pulley conversion, Heavy duty power bull Diesel battery, Double copper core radiator, Grp A Pro Tec engine mounts, M-Tech engine mount brackets

TRANSMISSION: -

Five speed F20 Gearbox, Front wheel drive, 90% LSD, M-Tech Custom one- piece shafts and replacement hubs with Astra GTE Outers and inners, Sash's Clutch.

CHASSI / SUSPENSION / STEERING: -

Fully seam and stitch welded engine bay c/w Harry Hockley Strengthening plates, Raid Front polished strut brace, Dubwiser 4" Rear polished strut brace, FK coil over suspension kit c/w 200 lb springs up front and height adjustable spring platforms to the rear, Front anti roll bar spacer blocks (To avoid fouling of exhaust manifold), Uni ball joints and track Rod ends, Polysport bushes all round.

BRAKES: -

Front:
Vectra V6 callipers with 256mm Disc Conversion Drilled and grooved.
Rear:
Disc conversion with Vectra V6 Callipers, Drilled & Grooved
Other:
EBC Green stuff pads all round, DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid, Steel Braided brake lines all round.

WHEELS AND TYRES: -

7 x 17 Kahn RSS with 205/40 Silverstone tyres c/w Kahn centres and valve caps

BODY: -

Based on a 1989 13SR Shell, All vinyl removed plus rubbing Strips,
de-badged, wing aerial removed, Fibresport front bumper c/w spots, mesh, and lower Laguna, Modified Fibresport side skirts moulded to front wing and Rear quarter, Kingdom Developments rear bumper modified For number plate recess, M3 style mirrors, Montary bonnet vent and GSI Astra bonnet vents (recessed as Vauxhall Intended), 3 piece rear spoiler (89 SR legs, 93 GSI top Window spoiler and saxo spoiler), Flushed tail gate with wiper and washer jet removed, Golf Gti bee sting aerial, Flushed Scuttle panel with washer jets, grills and 1 No. Wiper hole removed, Vectra washer jets on bonnet, Kawasaki motorbike fuel filler cap moulded into rear quarter position, Clear front indicators, Clear rear lights, and Oval clear side repeaters, VW Polo light eye brows, Meshed and modified grill, Front towing eye removed and replaced with Vectra screw in/out towing eye, Front and rear arch modifications Vectra rear door handles, delocked, Storm single wiper conversion with Kingdom cover, Bonrath bonnet lifters, Lockwood sill protectors,
All finished in GM 140 Smoke grey with a blue mica lacquer flip.

INTERIOR: -

Mk 2 dash and interior conversion, Astra GTE LCD Clocks, carbon/silver detailing, Aluminium gear knob and hand brake cover, Blue gaiters, Sparco pedals, Corsa wiper stalks, Chequer Plate flooring, Cobra Daytona front seats with rear seats covered to match (Blue/Grey), Luke 3 point harnesses, cloth retrim front door swabs and rear quarters, Blue cloth trim
covering all boot plastics, parcel shelf and install, Mono steering wheel, Neon Lighting and Carbon fire extinguisher

IN CAR ENTERTAINMENT / SECURITY

KENWOOD 9070R Head unit, VIBA 7? Grade ?A? Screen, MERCURY Multi region DVD Player, KICKER X3i Active crossover, AUTOLEADS 0.5 Farad Cap,

2 No. RM Audio RA4100x 4 channel amps

KICKER 6.5i Component set (front), PHILLIPS 3 way 6x9 speakers (rear shelf), KICKER KFC4 10? Free air sub (recessed into floor)

Other items ? All gold terminals and terminations, within custom build finished in blue cloth

Security ? CAT 2 Cougar full closure system, plus a very protective owner!!

PuntoNikki
01-05-04, 12:23 PM
Just had a peek at the pics, and ur car looks HOT !!! :D

Ian
01-05-04, 01:52 PM
FAO Ian

I find them a bit softly sprung, but I think PVD sent me the wrong springs on speaking to FK directly they said for a 2L you need FK1866 springs to support it, rather than the standard kit springs but PVD knew best, that hopefully will be sorted soon

Another thing they are not very good for 17" rims I have the Kahns as you know which are 7" wide, at hte ride height I have the car the spring platform is fairly low, meaning the tyre are nearly touching the spring and platform (paper distance) come back speedlines all is forgiven, I say they will rub under heavy cornering nad I do not want to put a 5mm spacer in as they sit far enough out as it is, ie the wing will slap down nicely on the tyre (bugger)

yeah BAT have 2 diff kits in the shop for a nova, they have specific springs for a 2.0 nova

I will be running a wider ofset so hopefully that wont be a problem