PDA

View Full Version : Engine Conversions (general Q's)

Gazza14SR
27-04-04, 12:27 AM
Evening all,

Just wondered if afew peeps could give me some help....

First of all, the other night i basically killed my 1.4 engine (again)

Im trying to consider all the possibilites available to me (1.6 GSi, 2.0 8v, 2.0 16v) and would like to try and break down the cost for this.

For starters...

As my SR is carb, I'd need to change the fuel tank/lines if i were to go with an injection engine right? Or would my fuel tank/lines be sufficent if i were to put carbs on either of the above engine?

Which would be the cheaper option if i were to leave the engines standard, as i dont mind afew horses under the bonnet but im not really up to speed when it comes to maintaining the engine when something goes wrong with them. (i think basically im trying to ask which would be the most reliable)

How much (???) would i be looking at for:

1.6 injection with new tank/lines to suit my car
1.6 on carbs
2.0 8v conversion
2.0 16v conversion.

Any help would be great. Ive tried reading through previous posts but could really find anything solid i was after.

Cheers

Aragorn
27-04-04, 11:32 AM
if im not mistaken u already have the carbs?

so a 1.6 8v would cost you about ?100 with gearbox and then u'd need the associated inlet manifold for the 1.6 which are about ?120 iirc

if u have cam or owt in your current engine u can simply swap that over and all you'll need to do is get the carbs resetup for the larger engine

one question to be asking however is why uve killed 2 engines?

are you massivly overfuelling them? running really lean? there must be a reason for it unless your just REALLY unlucky

im a small block guy and would prefer to see a tuned 1.6 in there rather than a 2.0 but thats personal prefrence really

2.0 conversion would need a lot more spent to do it PROPERLY, the bay needs welded, need 2 new cav cv's (?100ish) and a set of GTE 22spline shafts(??? ), need engine mount kit to space the mounts out correctly (?50+) and then the engine itself

Gazza14SR
27-04-04, 12:59 PM
The last engine i had, went cuz of numerous things just not being done right that garages said they had and basically just fobbing me off with a load of crap.

This one i think i was just pushing it too hard and couldnt take it. The head off this 1.4 that i have at the minute is mint and has been skimmed etc any ideas how much i'd be able to sell that for?

I had to sell the carbs to buy my last engine.

I have been offered a 1.6GSi engine with gearbox ECU loom etc for ?170 delivered to the garage i have now found trust in, which i thought wasnt bad considering hes dropping the engine off about 30 miles away from where he is....

Would i just need new fuel tank/pump/lines then from going from carb to injection? Would it be easier to buy some more carbs?

Thanks for the help. Think im definately gonna go with a 1.6 conversion. Insurance is quite friendly on that too :D

Gaz

Barn
27-04-04, 04:06 PM
who are you with mate (insurance)? tried to get a quote with LV for a GSI and they said come back when ur 21! lol, fcuk that.

how do you go about it? do a GSI engine conversion and then say my Nova's a 1.6 SR when it comes to get a quote?

Cheers

Will
27-04-04, 04:40 PM
who are you with mate (insurance)? tried to get a quote with LV for a GSI and they said come back when ur 21! lol, fcuk that.

how do you go about it? do a GSI engine conversion and then say my Nova's a 1.6 SR when it comes to get a quote?

Cheers

where to start....... I think i will write some form of guide again (i did this once before in brief) and cover everything I have picked up and know from the last 3/4 yrs (no i dont work in insurance i just strongly believe you shouldnt have to pay a stupid amount so like to find out ways of lowering premiums thats what started it)

Anyway sorry, to answer your QN:

LV under there "system" if you call it that your car would be classed as a nova SR "with engine modifications"

now wether they will insure you on this down to luck it appears if your 19+ id advise getting quotes from HIC and flux etc as well to compare, if not LV is prob your only option in this case, get a quote and try getting it set in stone before you star the conversion (not sure best way to do this)

If they stick to there guns you will have to "come back when your 21" or sack them off and ring the others when your 19.

Will

p.s. sorry to take this off topic! Gaz 1.6 8v all the way ;)

Gazza14SR
27-04-04, 05:23 PM
am 19, elephant are insuring me for 1092 tpft with 9points on a 1.6 conversion. (all nine being removed next year :D :D ) In my own name.

Ive been in my mums name with elephant for the last year and now transferring into my name as it works out cheaper cuz theres 2 claims also under my mums name. At first i didnt think elephant did engine conversions but i found out that its just the quick quote online thingy that wont accept engine mods.

Anyone have some twin 40s for me to suite 1.6?

cheers

Will
27-04-04, 05:26 PM
am 19, elephant are insuring me for 1092 tpft with 9points on a 1.6 conversion. (all nine being removed next year :D :D ) In my own name.

Ive been in my mums name with elephant for the last year and now transferring into my name as it works out cheaper cuz theres 2 claims also under my mums name. At first i didnt think elephant did engine conversions but i found out that its just the quick quote online thingy that wont accept engine mods.

cheers

elephant of all places! lol

interesting!

Jim
27-04-04, 05:35 PM
Personnaly I wouldn't bother with a 2.0 8v engine (unless you plan on spending thousands to get it like the ATC one). If you want best BHP/??? then go for a 2.0 16v. You can pick them up cheap and they come with 150ish BHP as standard. You can then modify that over time if you want.

Jim

Gazza14SR
27-04-04, 05:42 PM

cheers

interesting!

Elephant are strange, afew months back (well, before christmas when i was still 18) they were offering me a similar price on a corsa gsi, for some reason their insurance group of a corsa gsi was 8! but other insurance companies had it as 14. LMAO

benji
27-04-04, 06:47 PM
have you still got that weber 32/34? dont forget you could get at least ?50 maybe up to ?100 for it. i only had it for 6 months before you had it.

on engine choice i'd say get a 1.6 on injection, because that is best bhp/?. if you do a 2.0l 16v on the cheap you will end up with loads of problems which you dont want.

if you want help doing the conversion i can help you. i have a engine crane and all the tools.

Will
27-04-04, 06:55 PM

cheers

interesting!

Elephant are strange, afew months back (well, before christmas when i was still 18) they were offering me a similar price on a corsa gsi, for some reason their insurance group of a corsa gsi was 8! but other insurance companies had it as 14. LMAO

corsa gsi is group 11 but some call it group 10 cause they are homo

elephant are stupid calling it 8 but cant moan

lol

good old elephant

Your Price is ?582.75 think ill stick with my ?325 quote for now

Gazza14SR
27-04-04, 08:03 PM
If i were to get a 1.6 injection, what sort of bhp could i be looking at with a cam and some sort of boost valve(which i know nothing about)

Benji, yeh still got the carb. Thanks for the offer but the dude at the garage where i had it sprayed is doing it for me/me helping him out there so should be sorted. Thanks for the offer though.

Gaz

benji
27-04-04, 08:19 PM
no prob's mate.

115 bhp?

Gazza14SR
27-04-04, 08:44 PM
I take it id also need an exhaust manifold and a new full new exhaust system? At the minute i have a powerflow exhuast syste, could i get away with just changing the manifold?

benji
27-04-04, 09:02 PM
manifold will fit but you will need to drill a hole in it and weld a bolt on to take a sensor

Gazza14SR
27-04-04, 09:13 PM
manifold will fit but you will need to drill a hole in it and weld a bolt on to take a sensor

O right, whats the sensor for/do?

cheers

Aragorn
28-04-04, 12:17 PM
u wont see 115bhp from cam and a boost valve - maybe 105 if your lucky

remember dan and mike are both running 1650's with b+ heads, 295 cams and twin40's are are getting 138-142bhp

Gazza14SR
28-04-04, 01:03 PM
Purchased my engine(1.6 8v) today & also petrol tank.

Could anybodu do me a huge favour and list what ill need in terms of fuels lines/pump etc as i have no idea what i need and someone mensioned a regulator to me :roll: Quite pleased me the petrol tank also, 64 quid off the shelf :D got a quote from vauxhall for 113.96 ex VAT :o

Also been told there needs to be a sensor or sender or something in the tank.

Just a basic list of everything required would be great, as mines carb i doubt theres anything that'd suit.

cheers

Gazza14SR
28-04-04, 07:19 PM
^^^^^^ please, quite urgent :wink:

Aragorn
28-04-04, 11:29 PM
yer and the senders/swirl pot units are about ?70 :P

u will need a set of injection fuel lines - i got some nylon ones off an astra

you'll also need a fuel pump off a nova GTE along with the mounting bracket