PDA

View Full Version : XE tappet rattle is constant!!!! oil change needed??

TUBZGSXR
26-04-04, 11:09 AM
as the title says the tappet ratle that u always get on start up with XE's is now constant!! never stops!! do i need to change the oil or sumthin??

mikeyredtop
26-04-04, 11:14 AM
change ur tappets, or try a thicker oil...

YellowTurbo
26-04-04, 11:40 AM
as mike said try a thicker oil or even add an oil addictive to thicken it up.....if that fails take the cam cover off and inspect the tapets/cam.

TUBZGSXR
26-04-04, 03:06 PM
how much do tappets cost?? wot about getin the LET tappets, sposed to be quieter arnt they??

Kruger
26-04-04, 11:25 PM
Try an Engine Flush additive first, but if they're tapping all the time take them out and clean them up heres a good guide,

http://16vastra.usererror.org.uk/lifters.htm

Worked on mine as a couple had become sticky.

m.d.
27-04-04, 09:08 AM
not to dampen your spirits mate but a friend of mine had this and it was his head that was cracked. prone to this ive heard.

Kruger
27-04-04, 01:19 PM
Tapping lifters has got nothing to do with a cracked head!

The cracked head results from a weak oil /water ways that crack causing mixing problems, some engines are more prone than others tho and most if they are gonna go have already gone and been repaired.

Stuart
27-04-04, 05:50 PM
tappets will be atleast ?10 each (thats ?160 notes lol)

as for LET ones being "quieter", where the hell did you hear that? they will be no more or less quiete/noisy than XE ones.

try a flush and then run good oil a little thicker than normal in it

TUBZGSXR
28-04-04, 03:47 PM
ok guys will do, opened the bonnet 2day after drvin for an hour or so an there was oil everywere!! must have not put the cap on properly............... i hope :roll:

m.d.
28-04-04, 03:57 PM
Tapping lifters has got nothing to do with a cracked head!

if the head is cracked there wont be oil going to cirten parts of the head. which sometimes is arround the lifters. i have seen it happen on a mates GSI astra so it has got something to do with it.

hope it was just the cap tho mate.

j1400
28-04-04, 04:06 PM
Just use lift cleaning fluid rather than flush. then giveit a change.