PDA

View Full Version : Head lights

Metromartin
25-04-04, 12:34 PM
hi all,

On the mk1 Nova, if you have the side lights on and then turn the ignition on the main head light bulb lights up partly as all the other cars i tested do.

But my m8 has just bought a mk2 1.4i and when fitting blue sidelights and turning the ignition on the main headlamp bulb doesn't light up at all.
Is this normal on mk2 or is there a problem.

TIA

Martin

Aragorn
25-04-04, 05:45 PM
sounds like a faulty (or missing) dip-dim relay

nowt to worry about as they aint required for anything

ChronoCabal
27-04-04, 09:51 PM
It's my car he's talking about, it is quit a problem because I can't have just sidelights on, as I don't fancy getting pulled by the police!

I know taking the LEDs out is a easy solution but I liked the setup I had on the Mk1 -

Ignition off, Sidelights on - Blue lights (good for showing off when car is still)

Ignition On, Sidelights on - White light with slight blue tint ( that I'm not going to get pulled over for)

So is this relay one of the standard ones behind the fuse box? If so, what other cars would have the same relay, as I would be getting it from a scrappy.

Cheers for your help,

LT

raver
27-04-04, 10:41 PM
i dont think this is a fault as me and a mate both have mk2's and both have coloured sidelights, these are the only lights that are on when the sidelights are put on.

ChronoCabal
28-04-04, 02:06 PM
If this is simply a relay, which one is it and does somebody have a spare one I can buy off them?

Doesn't mention the relay in the Haynes, any help?

Cheers,

LT

Ste_Nova
28-04-04, 02:17 PM
mk2 don't have the dim/dip relay

ChronoCabal
28-04-04, 05:02 PM
Quote from Haynes:

Dim-dip Headlamps

* In line with recent legislation, this system is fitted to all 1987-on models.

* Its purpose is to supplement the side lamps with dimmed headlamps when driving the vehicle in built-up areas.

* If the sidelamps are switched on when the ignition is switched on, the dimmed headlamps come on automatically. Normal headlamp illumination is provided once the lighting switch is moved off the sidelamp position.

* The headlamp dimdip relay is located behind the right-hand footwell side trim panel...

I'm confused now :?

My Mk1 definately had this feature, so is it possible to take the relay (presuming it has one) from the Mk1 and fit it to mk Mk2?

Any help much appreicated.

LT

nova_rally
28-04-04, 09:52 PM
Sounds interesting, My Mk2 also has a single sidelamp setting, and you sure as hell can't drive on it!

Would be very interested in a solution to this.

Alan

Jack
28-04-04, 10:27 PM
Hmm... so what you're saying is that with the ignition off and sidelights turned on, just the sidelights come on... but with the ignition on then the headlights illuminate slightly? Can't say i've noticed this in either of mine...

Aragorn
28-04-04, 11:44 PM
they regulations were ditched in 89/90 so the mk2 revisions didnt have the relay unit

ChronoCabal
06-05-04, 05:51 PM
So does anyone have any idea of how to wire up the Mk1 relay to the Mk2 loom?

Cheers,

LT