PDA

View Full Version : Starting problems when engine is warm.

stiller_uk
24-04-04, 04:56 PM
When i've driving the car its fine, then say i stop at a garage turn the engine off then come bk and start the engine it runs but if i don't drive or revv it the engine just cuts out!

Then it will struggle to start again.

Very weird,

Its a 14nv with a 1.2 head and weber 32/34 carb.

Any1 got an idea whats wrong?

Thanks Graham

Adam
24-04-04, 08:36 PM
Do you hear like a rattling sound or anything when trying to start it, could be "pinking"

stiller_uk
24-04-04, 11:35 PM
Can't say i can hear a ratteling sound when trying to start it, but when i'm driving a long i can sometimes hear a ratteling, if i put my foot down it dissapears.

Pinking is when the timing is to advanced isn't it?

BurburyConrod
24-04-04, 11:37 PM
Unless the choke is on, stupid suggestion but you never know.

stiller_uk
25-04-04, 10:34 AM
Nope, choke is off. To get it going again u gotta pull the choke in and out untill the engine catches and starts but then u gotta rev it otherwise it dies!

Snowface
25-04-04, 11:13 AM
dirt in the carburettor perhaps.

stiller_uk
25-04-04, 04:26 PM
I serviced the carb b4 i put it on, and its got a fuel filter b4 the inlet on the carb. I had the carb setup on a rolling road.

Adam
25-04-04, 04:50 PM
Can't say i can hear a ratteling sound when trying to start it, but when i'm driving a long i can sometimes hear a ratteling, if i put my foot down it dissapears.

Pinking is when the timing is to advanced isn't it?

Pinking is pre-ignition of the petrol, it ignites before its meant to so it throws out the engine timing etc. You would normally hear the rattling when putting the throttle down, so i don't think its that.

The only other thing really is a mal-adjusted carb, or dirt inside the carb jets etc.

pt_y2k
25-04-04, 04:58 PM
i hot rod my 1.2 opel kadette engine and it is in high revs for up to 10mins while racing. wen i stop racing and switch off the car it wont start for at least 15/20 mins. it happens all the cars with same engine aswell. i dont know the reason but ur not alone

stiller_uk
25-04-04, 10:39 PM
i think i'll give the jets a clean, then give my local rolling road (redline tuning) a ring and get it on the rollers.

Poxy cars!!!!!!!!!! So much trouble yet so much fun!!!!

Paulbrown
26-04-04, 01:06 PM
is it auto choke or manual ??
auto choke is very un stable on small engine

stiller_uk
26-04-04, 03:19 PM
is it auto choke or manual ??
auto choke is very un stable on small engine

Manual

stiller_uk
27-04-04, 06:46 AM
Wiv help from my m8s dad we have come to the conclusion my engine is "pinking"!

Wots the best way to cure "pinking"?

m.d.
27-04-04, 09:17 AM
retard the timing by turning the dizzy towards you. only a very small ammount tho as you will retard it and cause it to go maga slow.

mark the position where it is now and move the lines about 1mm apart at a time.