PDA

View Full Version : Tell tale white smoke...oh dear

NovaNeil
23-04-04, 12:39 PM
Playing about with my car last night (changing oil, coolant and fitting Oil cooler). When I had finished I started her up and went for a blast. When I got back I noticed a bit of White smoke from the exhaust when I was reving it in Neutral... I then took my oil cap off to find a bit of pressure and a very fine white smoke puffing out... Nothing major. Im really really worried, as my car has blown up three times already due to the Piston (land ring) cracking. In the last three instances (over the last 2 years) the car produces the same White smoke and pressure as found from the breathers.... But a lot more severe.... I think I may be on the way to a new set of Pistons... again :cry: But could it possibly be somthing to do with my Oil cooler??? I've got a remote oil filter and a Cooler so theres a lot of extra pipe work the oil has to travel.... and of course the Turbo oil feeds as well.
Theres no white smoke from the exhaust under normal driving conditions, just when you rev it it seems....
I think i'll get it compression tested tonight.

oh Crap! Typical... Castle Combe tomorrow and the Belgium trip next week..... great timing :evil:

Neil

Will F
23-04-04, 03:09 PM
I would have thought that white smoke is 'reasonably' harmless.
I would be more concerned if it were blue! :o

Although, smoke from the oil filler isnt great, but again, not nec terminal!

_Ben_
23-04-04, 03:53 PM
If nothing obvious turns up on the compression test just see how it goes for sing oil and water over the next few days.

mikeyredtop
24-04-04, 06:59 PM
thats how i identify wheather the rings are shot, by the blow by pressure and if its smokin from der,, oh dear...