PDA

View Full Version : PROBLEM RESOLVED ! rev limiter faulty ??

mikeoxford
22-04-04, 11:39 PM
:evil: perhaps i was getting to ahead with myself about setting it up the other day....

having issues installing the damn thing. :|

three wires.

black one -> ground
blue one -> negative coil (green)
red one -> switched live (black)

i wired it all in and my car wouldnt start.

so i ripped it all out again and car starts

anyone with cylindrical coil will know it has two sockets on the top. so from a spare loom i got a plug, made the rev limiter a seperate loom.

as its 11 oclock at night i drove down road..... not to wake neighbours.

turn off engine.

plug rev limiter / shift light into second socket on the coil.

car wont start - same result as hard wiring it before....

have i really overlooked something or is it shafted?

i can set rev limit and shift light fine. when i press buttons the lights flash as the instructions say they will.

i just cant start the bloody car

loggyboy
23-04-04, 12:51 AM
100% that u connected to -ve on coil?

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 12:55 AM
100% that u connected to -ve on coil?

well.... without it connected the engine runs

with it connected it dosent.

theres only two wires on coil.

one is black (ignition live)

other is green (tacho pulse - must be negative!?)

anyway.

my main concern is i dont know if the two sockets on the coils are linked together.

i ahve tested them with a meter and it looks like they are connected.

see the only thing i have left to try is to splice the wires directly. and i spose i should do that before telling the shop its bust.

but i cant see no other reason - and ive connected everything up - the rev limiter etc is settable. just you cant start the engine, theres no spark.

loggyboy
23-04-04, 01:00 AM
if u run the engine and disconnect the the green -ve does the engine stop or does the exising guage just stop working?
if the guage stops then id say u have a faulty rev gauge, or the wires are labled wrong,
try wiring the guage up to power n earh then tap a 'signal' on it and see it it picks it up.

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 01:18 AM
need to find out if the two sockets are the same. and if my twin plug arrangement would work or not.

tomrowo i will try a temporary splice wiht the wires. directly into the wires.

if that dont do it.... its headed for the bin :!:

:|

j1400
23-04-04, 01:44 AM
So how is it wired up, from manual then?
Could it be wired the wrong way round at all it's pretty early in the morning.

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 10:51 AM
the instructions read:

"blue wire - connect the wire to the coil negative (-) terminal."

"red wire - connect this to the coil positive (+) terminal. If this is not easily accessible then this wire can be connected to any positive feed that is switched by the ignition switch."

"black wire - connect tis wire to any good electrical connection on the car bodywork. A self-tapping screw and spring washer are supplied for this purpose if no bolt heads are within easy reach of this wire. It is essential that a good quality connection is made."

j1400
23-04-04, 10:58 AM
sounds duff that's pretty easy to wire compared to a full ecu. take it back dude :(

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 11:05 AM
have to ring omex today :evil:

problem is i bought it on mail order.

Aaaaaarrrghhh the agro

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 02:26 PM
someone must have fitted an omex product :|

i rang omex today, there examinig a nova wiring diagram as they suspect its not wired in correctly.

its strange how.... theres 2 wires on the coil, and ive connected the relevant two. not as if i done it to the wrong place.

if i run the engine, as soon as i drop the plug on to the coil i have made up - it cuts out :evil: frsutration

m.d.
23-04-04, 03:54 PM
i have a microline rev limmeter on mine and mine did the exact same thing. if you disconnect the ignition live it will start. as soon as you reconnect it it will cut out.

to sort this prob out i used the switched live from the sterio rather than direct from the ignition barrel.

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 05:49 PM
i have a microline rev limmeter on mine and mine did the exact same thing. if you disconnect the ignition live it will start. as soon as you reconnect it it will cut out.

to sort this prob out i used the switched live from the sterio rather than direct from the ignition barrel.

you have gotten me in so much trouble mister :evil:

my mum cooked me dinner.

and when i read you post i thought how bizzare - that cant work - who cares where u get the ignition live from! the instructions even tell u to get it from the coil if at all possible.

i thought anything is worth a go :o

how wrong could i be - 45 mins later, late for my dinner - im driving round town with the rev limit set as low as possible, and the shift light set as low as possible also. :lol: changing gear at about 2000 rpm - rev limits at 4 i think :lol:

my faith is now restored in novaload to get me out the brown sticky stuff.

I AM NOW A HAPPY MAN - CASE CLOSED.

oh - and what i did. just as ^^^ said. remove the ignition live from the coil - and wired it in the fusebox and put a fuse in where the fuel pump fuse normally goes - how tidy is that :twisted:

Snowface
23-04-04, 06:11 PM
glad you got is sorted. I got an Omex limiter in the post. What does it sound like when it hits the limiter?

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 06:33 PM
glad you got is sorted. I got an Omex limiter in the post. What does it sound like when it hits the limiter?

sounds like its firing on three :lol: but very quietly....

in all fairness its dead quieter than i thought - you see cars bouncing of the limiter at shows..... perhaps thats just the soft cut ive experienced....

ill get a pic up of the location of the light and the unit itself. ive done quite a good job of it :D

j1400
23-04-04, 07:00 PM
Glad you go it running, yeah sounds like soft cut, hard cut normally means big crackle pops happening. :P

Snowface
23-04-04, 07:07 PM
is hard cut bad for the engine i guess?

like a normal ecu rev limiter on a gsi or something.

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 09:36 PM
is hard cut bad for the engine i guess?

like a normal ecu rev limiter on a gsi or something.

i dont spose its good for it.... but id rather be bouncing off a limiter than my throttle stuck open or something and the revs increasing.... and increasing...and...BANG

yes hard cut will be same as mulitpoint limiter. just you can set it where u want. normal limter is 6200 methinks

Snowface
23-04-04, 09:38 PM
sorry, i meant is hard cut worse for the engine as apposed to 'the soft cut' optoin?

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 09:42 PM
sorry, i meant is hard cut worse for the engine as apposed to 'the soft cut' optoin?

im not the person to answer that cos my answer would be opinion based not factual.

id compare it to a misfire though..... i guess all the limiter does is drop a ground signal down the wire, forcing irregular sparks in the dizzy / plugs.

so no worse than a misfire.

*OPINION*

m.d.
23-04-04, 09:54 PM
glad that helped mate. its exactly what happened to mine once on the way to work. :evil: stopped on the most buisy of hills poss. lol

one of the blokes in work told me that they had done this before and for some reason it shorts the ignition out if you take the feed from the ignition barrel.

oh and sorry for the tea gettin cold thing lol :P

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 10:01 PM
glad that helped mate. its exactly what happened to mine once on the way to work. :evil: stopped on the most buisy of hills poss. lol

one of the blokes in work told me that they had done this before and for some reason it shorts the ignition out if you take the feed from the ignition barrel.

oh and sorry for the tea gettin cold thing lol :P

i took the "ignition feed" from the +ve ignition feed on coil - like the bloody instructions tell you to! really cant imagine what effect it has - like u say must be a short somewhere.

and :lol: my mum didnt mind that much - just put it back in oven for five :twisted:

THANKYOU

m.d.
24-04-04, 04:28 PM
yeah i dont understand why either but if it works then who cares. lol

Gazza14SR
25-04-04, 03:11 AM
I have this problem also lol

(as its pretty late at the minute ill check the model in the morning)

But basically on my i have an adjustable dial ranging from 5 - 9k revs.

Connected the 3 wires up as it said and it started fine and limited fine. After awhile (like 3 weeks) i got the above problem (car not starting) unplugged it for abit and plugged it back in and its fine. Just had to unplug it earlier as the car wouldnt start but i garuntee when i plug it in in the morning it will be fine.

Weird :?: