PDA

View Full Version : any better cam for 1.2?

pingu_turbo
22-04-04, 09:05 PM
Just wondering if any other cam would be better in a carbed 1.2, i now know the gte 1 doesnt work with the fuel pump, is the 1.3 sr one better than std?

Snowface
22-04-04, 09:10 PM
not sure bout ur first question. but its unlikely the cam will be able to drive the mech fuel pump cause it hasn't got a Lobe.

You can get electronic jobbies but not sure how well they work.

pingu_turbo
23-04-04, 07:36 PM
i only want to tune it a bit just to make it a bit more fun to drive, ive got a 2e3 carb & intake just wondered if there was a cam that would give me an xtra pony or two.

mikeyredtop
23-04-04, 07:41 PM
some gte's have the lobe ive seen a few. ideally get a 1.4sr cam, tis the best

Adam
24-04-04, 08:47 PM
Just get a 1.4sr cam, it has the highest lift of them all. So it opens the valves for a slightly longer time. Hence more(slightly) power.

_JH_
24-04-04, 10:26 PM
lol. higher lift doesn't mean the valve is open longer. it means its open more at its highest point, allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder in the same space of time as a lesser lift cam. increasing efficency and power

Stuart
24-04-04, 10:58 PM
i have it on good authoroty (velos) that fitting a 1.3 cam gives approx 7-10bhp more and a stronger torque curve in a 1.2

johnnynova
25-04-04, 01:19 PM
i have a 1.4sr cam for sale....

Adam
25-04-04, 04:59 PM
lol. higher lift doesn't mean the valve is open longer. it means its open more at its highest point, allowing more air/fuel mixture to enter the cylinder in the same space of time as a lesser lift cam. increasing efficency and power
"So it opens the valves for a slightly longer time. Hence more(slightly) power." Quote

Which would give exactly the same result wouldn't it. If the valve stayed open longer then more fuel/air is brought in, if it lifts higher then exactly the same. :?:

_JH_
25-04-04, 05:50 PM
in the nicest possible way, no. don't get me wrong, the valves MAY be open longer on a 1.4sr cam, but it would have nothing to do with lift. I'm not trying to split hairs, just thought i'd point it out to anyone reading.

the higher lift means a greater opening for the mixture to pass through. cams aren't necessarily the bigger the better when it comes to lift, duration etc. it depends where you want the power in the rev range, but generally a higher lift cam will improve a standard engine.

Adam
25-04-04, 06:30 PM
Yeah i know what you mean now, the cams all the same size but they just have a longer like cam piece. So the valve is lifted up higher, but they are open for the same amount of time because the width is no different. If you get what i mean,
cheers mate for pointing that out.

YellowTurbo
26-04-04, 11:37 AM
i fitted a 1.3 sport cam and twin 40's to my old 1.2 and it used to fly ....:)