PDA

View Full Version : Double Amp

Muttly
22-04-04, 09:00 PM
Hey. I've got 2 amps. I've 1 wired in with a amp wireing kit that drives my sub. My question is with my second amp. If I take power from the amp thats wired in will that power my second amp. The 2 amps are 480w and 400w resp. Also my head unit has only 1 preout and I'm using that to control my sub, can I use my powered cables (left and right rear) to attach to the amp and will that give me the the right power to my speakers?

srs1
23-04-04, 09:27 AM
for your pre out of the hu, you can get some rca splitters. they just join on to the end of the cables and split it into 2 sets of pre outs. thus letting you use it for 2 amps.

as for the power to the 2nd amp.
you need to uprate the power cable and fuse from the battery.
run it throught the car as normal.
when it is at the rear of the car, you install a twin fused block. then put in the individual fuse rated for each amp. then run the output power cable to the relevent amp.

this way the whole system is fused properly.

hope this helps

Matty T
25-04-04, 08:46 PM
What size power cable do you currently have running through the car? And what fuse rating do your amps take?

Muttly
26-04-04, 01:21 AM
The power cable is rated for 1600w, its 8g. I've a 40 fuse under the bonet and 1 amp has 2x20 and the other is 25.

Matty T
26-04-04, 02:20 AM
You should be fine then. Just get a 60amp fuse for under the bonnet

Muttly
27-04-04, 12:50 AM
Sounds good. Only thing is how do I wire up the output from the headunit as I only have the speaker outs left, no preouts.

Matty T
27-04-04, 11:46 AM
You can use RCA splitters, and split the one signal into two. Only problem is that you will loose control of the speakers via the headunit (fade and balance etc...).

Or you could use the high level input on the amplifier i.e. use the speaker wires from your headunit, but your amp may not have this function and you will loose sound quality.

Personally i would amp the front speakers anyway and leave the rears off the headunit