PDA

View Full Version : Sub

gary_1.2Merit
22-04-04, 02:03 PM
is it possible to run a sub of one of the h/u speaker outputs. my m8 has his sub in parallel to a 6 x 9. is this a good thing, it dont sound too bad!

peester
22-04-04, 06:21 PM
not sure what h/u means.. if its high level input then no; subs are low frequencies. 6x9's are for high level.

epo
22-04-04, 06:26 PM
imo h\u means headunit but i take it u dont mean that

srs1
22-04-04, 06:42 PM
^^^^^^^^^^
:lol:

if it's off the head unit then it wont be running to its full potential. and it will not do the sub any favours either.

Jack
22-04-04, 06:50 PM
running a sub off a standard speaker output from the head unit would be bad.... as the sub would get the full range of frequencies rather than just the bass notes, and probaby knacker it. Some h/u's have sub outputs - the alpine one i got today does.

Matty T
25-04-04, 08:52 PM
PMSL...

Running a sub off a headunit is definately a bad thing. A typical head unit puts out 50 watts max per channel, thats about 20wrms per channel. A typical sub needs say 100wrms at least to get moving.

Also, how was the sub wired to the headunit? The HU has a rear output in stereo, meaning a left and a right output, these are designed to be run with speakers with a resistance of 4ohms. The 6x9s will have a resistance of this, if you have put one wire from the sub to the left and the other to the right output of the headunit in parallel with the 6x9s, not only have you bridged the rear output of the amp which its not designed to do (internal amp on headunt now running at 2ohms = bad), but you also have the 6x9s with it (resistance on internal amp now = 1ohm!).

Ide porsonally be waiting for the headunit to blow up, and i can tell you, it most definately does NOT sound good in any sense of the word.

cooper_nova
25-04-04, 10:33 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
agreed
also it will fcuk ur sub coz its not desinged for high frequencies either!!!!!!

Matty T
25-04-04, 11:08 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
agreed

Yup, forgot to mention that.

cooper_nova
25-04-04, 11:09 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
agreed

Yup, forgot to mention that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: