PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 Accelerator Cable/Idle

Nick
20-04-04, 07:35 PM
Hello, i'm having bit of a problem with my 1.2 idleing. It's a 1992 J reg Mk2 1.2 SPi, not carb

I took the air box off the other day to see about fitting a K&N filter or something similar, i noticed my car wasn't idleing properly so i increased the idle speed by moving the clip further along the accelerator cable.

Everything was fine, untill i turned it off and restarted, now it was dyeing and idleing wayyyy too slow, so i moved the clip along as far as it could go, but i can't get it to idle fast enuff, i;ve run outta groves on the cable to clip the clip to !

as it is, only the last notch, the accl pedal is a bit flappy, it doesn't do anything for the first 1/8th of it's travel and it's really quite stiff. If i move the clip further back (decrease the idle speed) the pedal becomes more flappy and doesn't do anything for 4/8th of it's travel !

the garage sed it's a blocked idle jet in the carb cos something has gone in the carb when i had the air filter off. so the car isn't idleing well. But i don't understand why this would make the Pedal all flappy e.t.c

I have the suspiscion is has something to do with a knackered throttle cable ?

anyone got any idea ?

Snowface
20-04-04, 10:14 PM
the garage sed it's a blocked idle jet in the carb cos something has gone in the carb when i had the air filter off. so the car isn't idleing well. But i don't understand why this would make the Pedal all flappy e.t.c

So it is a carb?
Sounds like dirt somewhere in the fuel system.

Nick
20-04-04, 10:56 PM
lol whoops, it's a SPi , you know the kind thing i mean ?

i don't get why the accl pedal would be flappy tho !?

Aragorn
20-04-04, 11:29 PM
cos thats not adjusting the idle - its adjusted the accellerator pedal instead

the idle is controlled by the ecu on the 1.2i leave it for a minute or so and it should stabilise if not the idle control valve is either blocked up or broken

take it out and clean it with carb cleaner and see if that helps

u want the throttle adjusted so its a notch AFTER the butterfly is fully closed and should not use that to set the idle

Nick
21-04-04, 07:44 PM
I've moved the Throttle cable clip back to where it was to start off with !

Now the accl pedal is just limp for about 1/2 of it's travel ?

The car dyes competly and it needs alot of revs to keep it going !?

angel_vickie
23-04-04, 03:46 AM
Clean out the jets and the injector with some carb cleaner, keep the clip on the throttle where it was originally and there should be a screw that adjusts the idle speed, either round by the carb or by the suspension top mount. If in doubt check the haynes manual and it will tell u exactly where the idle screw is.

Vickie x