PDA

View Full Version : SRi head results

benji
20-04-04, 05:50 PM
just got back from velos, i got 92bhp @ 5800rpm and 90 ft/lbs @ 4800rpm. from my 1.4 with T40's.... which is nice. :D and it only cost ?40 for the tune up.

last time i was there it got 80 bhp, now i've added a sri head which has it's inlet ports opened out to match my 1300 inlet manifold. then i read MC's tuning guide and found that i should of matched the manifold to the head not the other way :oops: So a sri head is good for 10 / 15 bhp over a 14nv head.
the car now drives great, i thought it was good over the weekend(i only put it back together on friday) but now it is ace, and it idles..... which is nice.

i also spoke to them about santa pod next month and they said they will be there in their 1400 :wink:

what times should i expect if i have a go? the car will be strippd out by then

Dpnova
20-04-04, 05:52 PM
nice results mate

Stuart
20-04-04, 06:06 PM
high 15's low 16's

peester
20-04-04, 06:36 PM
good torque mate too. std 1.6 8v gsi 100bhp, 96 lbft torque. good stuff. well done. deffo sub 10 sec 0-60 now..

Jim
20-04-04, 07:09 PM
good torque mate too. std 1.6 8v gsi 100bhp, 96 lbft torque. good stuff. well done. deffo sub 10 sec 0-60 now..

I'd like to see a standard 1.6 8v gsi on the Velos rollers. A few people have mentioned that Velos rollers may be reading slightly low, so I wouldn't be surprised if your putting out the same power as a standard Gsi.

What Cam do you have?

Jim

benji
20-04-04, 10:34 PM
standard cam. didn't want to spend ?200+ on a 1.4 when i have wanted a 1.6/2.0 16v for some time now.at least i can get money back on the carbs. what power would a AST2 add? ?270 for the kit is alot when i could get a 1600 16v for a little more, and slap the carbs on that.

i've done nearly 70miles tonight, just driving about. not much on the roads to have a go at. i did come across a corsa gsi but didn't get much of a race before he turned off.
The car feels great. a lot faster than before it was set-up, it ticks over at about 950 rpm, the best i could get it to was 1200 rpm. When on part throttle it you can barley tell the carbs are there, but when you open it up it's unbelivable. the acceleration is awsome, especialy in second gear.

i'm raving about a 1400 while half the people on here have twice the power i do, but i think it's ace

CP
20-04-04, 10:39 PM
Well done - good figures there!

benji
21-04-04, 12:01 AM
cheers. heres the graph
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bencurry/rr_graph_copy.jpg

Barn
21-04-04, 03:58 PM
well done mate

fitting 1.6 16V would be a job though wouldn't it?

MC
22-04-04, 10:05 AM
Well done, I like it when you can see proof that a mod works.

I would be tempted to stick with your 1.4, and go to town on it, 130bhp is easily achievable, especially with that head, and you will keep your torque, and get loads of respect when you tell people it is only a 1.4, yet its as quick as something much bigger.

Good stuff,

MC

benji
22-04-04, 05:43 PM
how much am i looking at for a 'worked' bottom end?

benji
23-04-04, 07:36 PM
:?:

Jim
23-04-04, 07:53 PM

I paid nearly ?900 for my bottome end. It was overbored, new pistons, con-rods shot peened and eseamed. chemically cleaned block, etc.

Jim

Will
23-04-04, 08:24 PM

I paid nearly ?900 for my bottome end. It was overbored, new pistons, con-rods shot peened and eseamed. chemically cleaned block, etc.

Jim

e.g. the works!!

quality bit of kit it is 2

benji
23-04-04, 08:29 PM
what pistons were they? is that buit up or boxed up

Jim
23-04-04, 08:32 PM
not sure what pistons, have the details somewhere. I took my bottom end to Velos and they then did the works, or had parts sent off. They reassembled it and i picked it up a few weeks later.

Give them a call, they'll advise you on whats best.

Jim

_JH_
23-04-04, 09:52 PM
nice results well done. Interesting results with the 1.4SRi head, never knew it was that much of a difference between the SR head. I'd have to agree with going to town on your 1.4, but if you insist, get the 1600 not an XE.

benji
23-04-04, 11:36 PM
i might have to pay them a visit sooner than i thought. my accelerator linkage is getting jammed on full throttle.

MC
26-04-04, 02:54 PM
Jims block is a little more special than he makes out. Velos had the head and block, and skimmed both to get the maximum pheasable compression ratio. It has ARP bolts etc. It's worth the money.

You can have a good bottom end rebuild for around ?350. That'll get you a 1mm overbore with pistons to around 1440cc with slightly raised compression, and a re-ground crank with new shells. Combine that with a decent cam and a B+ job on the SRi head with a 4-branch and 40's and you'll have a rather fast car with around 130bhp+

MC

Will
26-04-04, 02:59 PM
Jims block is a little more special than he makes out. Velos had the head and block, and skimmed both to get the maximum pheasable compression ratio. It has ARP bolts etc. It's worth the money.
MC

time to sort my life out and get my bottom end in for work!

benji
26-04-04, 05:07 PM
sound's like jim will be giving dan a run for his money. will we be seeing the two of the racing each other on the 23rd may??

Dan
26-04-04, 06:44 PM
knowing the spec of jim's it should beat me hands down tbh. there's a few things that make all the difference added ontop of what i did. Not to forget a big weight difference. In theory jim might hit mid 14's with good runs and lay down a new benchmark for the others to follow :D .

benji
26-04-04, 07:00 PM
what's the difference in spec??

Jim
26-04-04, 07:07 PM
knowing the spec of jim's it should beat me hands down tbh. there's a few things that make all the difference added ontop of what i did. Not to forget a big weight difference. In theory jim might hit mid 14's with good runs and lay down a new benchmark for the others to follow :D .

:oops:

You guys!

:wink:

The main difference will be the weight factor. Dan is running standard curb weight, I will be running a lot less. I have a Piper 300 Cam, Dan has the AST2 Cam, the engine internals are pretty much the same, but some things may vary, like how much porting has been done, etc.

I'm not planning on beating Dan's time as Dan set a really good time.

Jim

benji
26-04-04, 07:18 PM
does the 300deg cam need pocket pistons and solid lifters? what will it's road manners be like? or have they gone the same way as multiple passengers? what head do you have ? is it a B+ or is it more than that.

sorry about all the questions but i am trying to make up my mind about future plans for my 1400. i don't know if i should drive it like it is for a while and then get a 1.6 16v, or contine tuning it. i'm just getting to the expensive :roll: bit now so i have to decide

Jim
26-04-04, 07:49 PM
I've no idea how the car will drive, but I don't think I'll be "tootling" around town at 2000rpm.

It's a B+ head, but has had a bit more porting done to it.

It's your choice in the end as to how much money you spend. You will probably get just as much BHP from the 1.6 16v for half the cost of tuning a 1.4. If you tend to go to a larger engine in the future anyway, then it might be better to save your money now and go straight for the bigger engine.

Jim

benji
26-04-04, 08:06 PM
It's your choice in the end as to how much money you spend. You will probably get just as much BHP from the 1.6 16v for half the cost of tuning a 1.4. If you tend to go to a larger engine in the future anyway, then it might be better to save your money now and go straight for the bigger engine.
Jim

that's what i have been thinking. but i would also like a quick 1.4. i am at the point where i need to spend a lot of money to make a difference, be it ?500 on a good 16v. or slightly more on a cam and a b+ head and then more on a decent bottom end.

i can see myself going down the 1.4 route but doing it a bit at a time, with a cam next on the shopping list.

does the 300deg cam need pocket pistons and solid lifters

Jim
27-04-04, 08:20 AM
Sorry benji, forgot to reply about the lifters. No, we're not using solid lifters. I don't know what pocket pistons are :oops: :roll: sorry. I'm sure MC will help you out with that one, im new to the mechanical side of things, im learning as I go ;)

A 300 degree Cam may be too much for you. A 285 may work better with your other engine mods.

Jim

benji
27-04-04, 04:59 PM
pocketed pistons are when you cut 'pockets' into the pistons to allow for more valve lift. i will probably go for a ast2 if i get a cam,

cheers

ben.

Will
27-04-04, 05:13 PM
pocketed pistons are when you cut 'pockets' into the pistons to allow for more valve lift. i will probably go for a ast2 if i get a cam,

cheers

ben.

good choice on cam and interesting info on pistons :)

Jim
27-04-04, 05:45 PM
LOL, there are other makes of cam than the ast2. I have a Piper 285 for sale that will do the job for you ;)

Jim

benji
27-04-04, 06:36 PM
when i spoke to velos they recommended a ast2, but if your's is cheap i might be interested. pm me with details if you want to sell it. what mileage has it done?

Snowface
27-04-04, 06:54 PM
i've got pocketed pistons on my block. Means u can advance/retard the valve timing a lot more and get higher lifting cam's.

I've got an ast2, i'd highly reccommend them.