PDA

View Full Version : INTERESTING law point-neons

asroma
20-04-04, 10:32 AM
Im not a fan of neons but for those of u that are, here is an interesting post I found on our GTO owners Forum this morning... Thought it may be of use if any of u guys are running neons....

My lad had a set of four under car neons for his birthday and having looked closely at the legislation I fitted them for him.
Within the week he had got a ?30 ticket for 'displaying other than a red light to the rear'.
I copied the legislation and my thoughts together with those of the CPS prosecutor I work with and that of the local traffic law officer and sent all the papers away to the ticket office.
I telephoned the ticket office today and spoke with the pesron in charge about the legality. Their reply
"Oh. You mean those blue lights under the car?"
Me "Yes"
Reply "I looked up the law on them before I let my son fit some!!"
Me "I guess this will be looked at favourably then?"
Reply "Yes I do not think any offence has been committed!!"
RESULT
Now the law bit.
The offence of showing other than a red light to the rear entails showing the actual light. The reflection off the road is NOT ENOUGH!!
Strangely reflection of vehicle parts like the suspension might be. The analogy given was if the car was hung over a bottomless pit would you see the lights Yes = offence. No = No offence
Fit the tubes above the level of the base of the skirt - bumper - grill and so that you cannot see it if it is turned off. Turn it on and see if you can see any part of it at all. If not hey presto no offence.
I know some of you will say (GTO-MAS) that who cares they are only bleedin neons anyway, but there are those who like them and its nice to know where you stand.
Ming the Triumphant
PS The guy who issued the ticket was everything in an officer I don't like and fight hard to dispel and had an attitude similar to a wart hog with piles so I shall take great satisfaction in telling him when I next see him

-Bruce-
20-04-04, 10:44 AM
i dont like neons, but that is interesting to know!! cheers mate

:o and i would love a 300ZX they look great

asroma
20-04-04, 11:06 AM
Cheers for that mate, I like the ZX but I love my Split-Screen Camper more! I'd stick to your Nova unless you like getting 15miles to the gallon fuel bills!!! :o :o

Another of our members got tagged for neons too and when he got out and started taking pictures with his digital camera the officer asked what he was doing. My fellow owner told him he was going to use them for his evidence in court. The officer went over to the other officer with him, chatted for a minute then informed our guy that "he was lucky today as theres been a call to another incident!!!" :lol:

-Bruce-
20-04-04, 11:08 AM
^^^ nice one!!! police officer>>>> :oops: :oops:

Freak
20-04-04, 11:49 AM
I posted that up about a year ago in reply to some post about neons.

Its not the light that is the offence- its the source+position of the light, which is fine in the case of neons.

Although it is an offence in the eyes of the taste police.......

Jack
20-04-04, 12:12 PM
i'd always assumed it was illegal if you could see the neon itself, so i guess i was close. So i'm guessing its ok to drive with them on and lit up?

Nath
20-04-04, 12:25 PM
hmm have to tell my m8 this he has neon lights in his front bumper that shine through the mesh and u can actually see the light when there isnt any mesh in there. do u think it will be ok when the mesh is fitted?

Jack
20-04-04, 12:28 PM
Hmm... if they're blue you might have trouble for "impersonating a police officer"

Nath
20-04-04, 12:29 PM
his are red. so that not a problem.

asroma
20-04-04, 01:07 PM
HHmm Im thinking the general concensus is that its reflection and "light haze" only guys. If when u look at your mates grill you can see the light source rather than just the light reflecting from the "hidden bulb" then he may be able to claim the above rule.

Jordi
20-04-04, 05:46 PM
there was a post on miniclassic about this.

Your are NOT allowed;

Visable tubes / lights
Certain colours
Flashing lights (imiating police n sh.it)

And theres something about the postion and amount of light.