PDA

View Full Version : Brake Cali sticking

ChelmsfordNova
19-04-04, 10:23 PM
i have taken the front wheel off and removed the pins in the caliper but its stuck on. i cant remove the pads, they dont seem to want to come out, The caliper wont move a bit i have hit it with a hammer and every thing not a bit of movement- ANy one got any ideas of getting the caliper off?

Stuart
19-04-04, 10:42 PM
pop the two big caps off the back and undo the slider bolts with a 10mm Allan key/Driver

get a slider repair kit and refit.

dont forget to push the piston back into the caliper

_JH_
20-04-04, 06:21 PM
get a slider repair kit and refit.

but don't fit the rubber o ring to the sliders. pack the lot with copper grease instead. something the vauxhall boys round here do. the rubber ring is what normally ends up causing it to stick.

DUNOVA.
20-04-04, 10:34 PM
Ive had endless problems with my nova brakes :evil: My advice is to up rate them mate because they will just keep seizing I put some corsa calipers on mine improved the braking and have'nt had no problems with them as my standard nova brakes were seizing nearly every couple of weeks after repairing them :wink:

Novarated
21-04-04, 12:58 AM
my standard nova brakes were seizing nearly every couple of weeks after repairing them

Perhaps you didn't actually repair them properly :lol: Up rating probably ain't what stopped the seizing problem. I think you'll find it was fitting healthier, newer parts that did it.

The caliper won't move easily if the Discs are well worn as they sit lower than the edge of the disc. If you're replacing the discs and pads just stick a screwdriver between the pads and disc and ease them open.

Novarated

ChelmsfordNova
21-04-04, 02:16 PM
i have got the pads out and the caliper piston moves out but wont push back in. i have a screw driver in there stopping it come out 2 much, but the whole caliper is stuck on and i cant remove the brake hose, the bolt is proper stuck also the alien key bolt is proper stuck any ideas of getting the piston back in without having to get the caliper off, cause i will get a garage to change to new better brakes later (2 litre ones)

_JH_
21-04-04, 05:16 PM
have you loosened the cap on the fluid reservoir? get a piston retracting tool, quite cheap and will always be handy, or carefully use a g cramp with the swivelling head (dunno its name, foot maybe? never really cared lol) inside the piston, not on the edges, and the other end on the bolt at the back.

Novarated
21-04-04, 07:17 PM
if the disc is out of the way then a wind back tool will do it (?28ish halfords) they take a lot of force to push back. I have to admit I've done a Nova system but other cars I have done it to went back without opening the bleed valve, the fluid goes back through to the reservoir. Careful of the rubber seals.

Allen keys are well awkward to lever with. Try extending the arm on it somehow to get more torque.

Novarated

Novarated
21-04-04, 07:17 PM
if the disc is out of the way then a wind back tool will do it (?28ish halfords) they take a lot of force to push back. I have to admit I've done a Nova system but other cars I have done it to went back without opening the bleed valve, the fluid goes back through to the reservoir. Careful of the rubber seals.

Allen keys are well awkward to lever with. Try extending the arm on it somehow to get more torque.

Novarated