PDA

View Full Version : Gone back to dials in my car.

karl Rowntree
19-04-04, 08:26 PM
Went up to stoke at the weekend to give the car a run before the big trip to Germany next week. Stayed at andy b's and got a few jobs done on the car, big thanks to Rob for 'the wiring god' all his help putting the old sr clocks back. Thanks Ian 'the wing' Holmes for lining the front wings up. Allso torqued up all the bolts on suspension and engine mounts to make sure we are all safe for the long journey.

After many months of saying i was going to do it i took the digidash out! Got to the point where i hated them and the i couldnt read the revs. The problem being the gap between each thousand decreases as the revs increase.

So back to good old dials it is. Trouble is now it goes off the speedo and the revs at the same time :lol: Think i need a stack dash.

What does everyone prefer? digi dash or clocks? I personally think it depends on the engine you are running, as i dont have a rev limiter so need to know what revs the engine is pulling.

Karl

NovaNeil
19-04-04, 08:38 PM
Yes the Digi Dash is top for showing the speed but crap as a rev counter.... But theres a simple solution... A shift light :idea: I never look at my rev counter now... Because if im gunning it I look for the shift light... and if im cruising who needs a rev gauge. And for me thats the only two ways I know how to drive. :D

Neil

benji
19-04-04, 08:58 PM
i'd go for dials every time. can't beat a proper rev counter, especialy when you rev right off it

Dan
19-04-04, 09:18 PM
tbh i bored of digidash also, but couldnt be arsed to remove it so just fitted a standard gte rev counter also. best of both worlds lol.

As for limiter for the sake of 100-120 notes you could get something like an armtech one like i got, acts as limiter/shiftup and shift down light etc etc etc and its only 3 or 4 wires to fit it in. very easy to do and small amount to pay to save the engine.

epo
19-04-04, 09:41 PM
ive only had my digi dash in a month so i love it deffo prefer em

SKoob
19-04-04, 10:41 PM
guages for me, just don't like the look of the digi dash :|

peester
19-04-04, 11:13 PM
ide miss my oil pressure gauge too much.. ill stick with my dials.

krobinson
19-04-04, 11:24 PM
There's an oil pressure gauge on the Digi Dash too!

I have SR Clocks in my white Nova, and Digi Clocks in my Blue Nova, so i get the best of both worlds!

Keith

nova---chris
19-04-04, 11:29 PM
ive got 2 shift lights wired of my dta.
so its a case of just change when the 2nd light appears.

mikeoxford
19-04-04, 11:53 PM
i bought a digidash of matt dimitros before i even owned a nova

along with a single wiper.

to say im bored of them both is an understatement.

i have changed the park position of my wiper - this weekend - for a bit of variety, and when i went from my first to second nova, i left the 6 pack sr dials in for about 6 months - which was a nice change.

i like the dials, but like the digidash.

for me it really is 50/50 but itd be nice to chop and change as the mood took me :P

its one of those mods id say yes im going to revert back - but never bother to do. if someone did it for me, id probly swap back.

i liked the white sr dials. i modified them to fit gte oil temp and watever in the top instead of the lights

-Bruce-
20-04-04, 12:02 AM
i like the dials better!! its just better too see the dial moving rather than figures or a bar moving!! and when the digi is whitched off i think it does not look that great

Ben
20-04-04, 12:12 AM
Never liked digi dash's think they look very dated.

Stack dashs are an amazing bit of kit though.

2litreturbo
20-04-04, 06:49 AM
what are stack dash's?

Jim
20-04-04, 08:07 AM
I prefer dials. To me, the digi dash is a little dated.

Stack dials are amazing, but very expensive. There a company that produce a selection of dials or even full dash displays. You can order some parts through Demon Tweaks, but best to look on the website.

http://www.stackinc.com/index.html

Jim

2litreturbo
20-04-04, 08:14 AM
i want this one

http://www.stackinc.com/img/8110-601.jpg

Works out just over ?1000

Will
20-04-04, 08:22 AM
bretts is very similar to that

but i can think of a much better way to spend 1k tbh

2litreturbo
20-04-04, 08:26 AM
so can i. but when i win the lottery, 1k will be pocket change!

Jack
20-04-04, 09:07 AM
Never did like the digidash.

Couldn't you wire in an analog rev counter as well as the digidash?

beatin u
20-04-04, 04:52 PM
the digi dash is just pure tacky IMO. aftermarket dials for me.

Dpnova
20-04-04, 05:00 PM
i like standard dials although the ones bret has are very nice

m.d.
20-04-04, 05:20 PM
prefer the standard ones too with white dial kit fitted anyway. i put a digi dash in a mates car and hated how slow the speed went down under heavy breaking. just could not keep up. same with the rev counter. cant keep up with the engine. :!:

ive been thinking of making my own clocks with aftermarket TIM guages mounted in something and put in the origional place. but with the rev counter and speedo in the middle and the other guages 2 each side in the corners. hmmmm chrome edged dials :wink:

Nath
20-04-04, 05:22 PM
i always wanted a digi dash but not gonna bother now as my nova is a mk1 and there a bitch to fit anyway and id rather have the white dials.

Dan
20-04-04, 05:45 PM
Couldn't you wire in an analog rev counter as well as the digidash?

you can and with some effort can look nice, this is a breif shot of when i was doing mine with a standard gte rev counter. tbh it hasnt changed as i couldnt be arsed to finish it off after it was working and practical. i will get round to it just dunno whether this year or next lol.

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/digi+rev.jpg

karl Rowntree
20-04-04, 06:57 PM
Its one of those classic questions isnt it, you either love them or hate them, seems to be 50/50.

I loved the idea of fitting them and did like them for a couple of months. They allways got the wow factor off the kids round by me. But just felt there were looking a bit dated.

I like to be able to look down at a glance and know exactly what the standard dials are reading, which is easy with a dial imo.

I personally dont like extra dials and gauges, like to keep it all as simple as poss. Just my opinion mind. :wink:

Dan
20-04-04, 07:30 PM
i did mine as i realised after fitting a 300mm steering wheel that it sat perfectly in the way of the digi rev counter lol, but in true laziness found it easier to fit a dial counter rather than change the dash over as the mk1 dash gets totally abused and no tidy way of going back to dials after fitting a digdash :lol:

Jack
21-04-04, 11:57 AM
I remember you doing that now Dan, it looks <bill & ted>excellent!</bill & ted>

I read somewhere that dials are supposed to be better than digi readouts as you have to read the digital stuff where as dials you can just quickly look at and see it quicker. Hence why aircraft have dials (ok, and mechanical backup reasons too)

epo
21-04-04, 08:11 PM
theres another pic of the stackdash on the stylin forum
i think its in that lads car fearless

Ian
21-04-04, 08:51 PM
i want this one

Works out just over ?1000

ive got that one :D

epo
21-04-04, 09:02 PM
^^^^

they look well mint id love on but there expensive rnt they?

Jim
21-04-04, 09:09 PM

ive got that one :D

That's sooooooooo Brett Warburton :roll: ;)

Would be nice to have one of those, but over ?1000 for a dash is out of my price range.

Jim

TWAG
21-04-04, 10:29 PM
ive just recently gone back to dials, i think they are alot clearer than a digi dash, and can still be seen if the sun comes out!

scott.parker
21-04-04, 11:56 PM
Well this is my choice too im not into digi dials there just an ass to read,said this to you karl when i was round yours,glad there back in,bet they look better as well.

scott