PDA

View Full Version : Quickest way to. . . .

2litreturbo
19-04-04, 05:17 PM
What is the quickest way to change front wheel bearings?
In the past i have always taken the hub assembly off and taken it to a local garage to get them to press the old ones out and the new ones in. The bit i always have a problem with is gettin the inner race of the hub. I have previoulsy used angle grinders and oxy acy torches. Is there a quicker way?

Thanks

Neil

Philsutton
19-04-04, 05:24 PM
easiest way would prob be to take off the hub an just swap for a hub that has good bearings. The front bearings are a right bastard to change

2litreturbo
19-04-04, 05:28 PM
i know there a sod to change but i am not gunna use 2nd hand bearings on a 240bhp motor. I was wondereing if anyone had perfected a 'quick' method.

Ta

Aragorn
19-04-04, 05:40 PM
i used a BIG hammer and cold chisel to remove the inner race

if u wanna do it safely get a 3 leg puller and a U-Clamp off an exhaust thats the same size as the ball bearing track on the inner race - slide the Uclamp on and use the puller on the clamp

as for getting them back in - u NEED a press or you will fuck the bearings

ive just dropped mine off at an engineering shop today - he offered to let me use the press but seen as ive never used one i asked him to do it and i'd pop back in tomorrow

2litreturbo
19-04-04, 05:42 PM
i'll prob go down the scrappy and get two hub assemblies then and get the new bearing pressed into thos and just swap them over unless anyone has a couple i can borrow for a few days?

Do they?

scott s
19-04-04, 05:45 PM
this way sound brutal but its quick and works and dosnt damage anything if ur carefull well remove the hub remove disc if uv not done so then clamp in vise upside down and knock off the flange then turn around all the ball bearings should all be lying on the floor now then just use a chisel to knock out the race from the hub then remove from vise clamp in flange and use hammer and chisel to remove race from that too there bearing removed... then just clean up hub and flange faces with imerie cloth and press in new bearing and flange.... rebuild hub ie disc , callipier ond thats u sorted... :lol:

2litreturbo
19-04-04, 07:07 PM
this way sound brutal but its quick and works and dosnt damage anything if ur carefull well remove the hub remove disc if uv not done so then clamp in vise upside down and knock off the flange then turn around all the ball bearings should all be lying on the floor now then just use a chisel to knock out the race from the hub then remove from vise clamp in flange and use hammer and chisel to remove race from that too there bearing removed... then just clean up hub and flange faces with imerie cloth and press in new bearing and flange.... rebuild hub ie disc , callipier ond thats u sorted... :lol:

in english? Try some punctution please.

Aragorn
19-04-04, 08:00 PM
this way sound brutal but its quick and works and dosnt damage anything if ur carefull
remove the steering knuckle assembly
remove disc if uv not done so
then clamp in vice upside down and knock off the hub
then turn around all the ball bearings should all be lying on the floor
just use a chisel to knock out the race from the hub then remove from the vise
clamp up hub and use hammer and chisel to remove race from that too

there bearing removed...

then just clean up hub and flange faces with emery cloth and press in new bearing and flange.... rebuild hub ie disc , callipier and thats u sorted... :lol:

thats slightly better :P

u still need a press to get the new bearing inplace - hitting the new bearing with a hammer can damage them since they are sealed units

MechaT
19-04-04, 08:11 PM
Just get the garage to do it. It's too finicky/annoying to bother with. if you get it wrong you'll av wonky wheels and 30 quid bearings down the drain

scott s
19-04-04, 10:09 PM
oooiiiiiiii stop messin up ma glasweidgen..... lol
at least some of you knew wot i was on about thanks for sorting it out :P

2litreturbo
20-04-04, 05:22 AM
ok guys thanks anyway. Not really the asnwer i was lookin gor. Thats the way i've always done it but i wondered if there was a quicker way but never mind.

Thanks

Neil