PDA

View Full Version : hazard switch change?

Dave
19-04-04, 02:06 PM
how do you change a mk2 switch for a different one?

i need to swap the mk2 hazard switch to a differnt type one i've got a mk1 dash i can nick the switch from but how do i swap the wires over so they all work?

loggyboy
20-04-04, 02:51 PM
Me n wilson (from RB) were lookin into this.
the troubel is the switch isnt just on/off, its got poles that disable the regular indicators so there is no clash if both are turned on.
the basics are ud need a 3 pole double throw switch, the closest we cound find was a 4pole one in Maplins. but its ugly as F***
best to just becareful with a standard mk2 switch..

Jack
20-04-04, 03:06 PM
surely a mk1 switch would have all the same connections tho? It'd just be a case of figuring out which wires go to which connector on the switch?

Nath
20-04-04, 03:25 PM
what is it with the mk2 hazard switch?? i mean the one in the saloon doesnt work and my m8's doesnt either. mk1 all the way!!!! :lol:

Aragorn
20-04-04, 04:10 PM
the hazard switch POWERS the indicators so it needs to be there

the mk1 switch is smaller tho so what u'd need to do is get the switch and plug and a bit of loom from the mk1 and wire it up color to color then find somewhere to mount it

loggyboy
20-04-04, 04:12 PM
yeah but the idea is to get it too look better not worse than the original!!
they are just a weak design.
there is a way to repair 90% them but it mean the work on a pull on, push off basis, not push on, push off.

LiD0N
20-04-04, 07:46 PM
i replaced my swicth with one from maplins will get a pic up of it..

Astra_Boy2004
21-04-04, 09:00 AM
your changing the switch to look better!

I though you were changing it so no one could use it to nick your car

Ben

loggyboy
21-04-04, 12:07 PM
u can stop that 'lil trick' by placing a diode in line with one fo the wires behind the switch.. its up on a guide sumwhere

Big Box
21-04-04, 03:06 PM
i've just fitted a mk2 dash to mine, with a blue LED rocker switch to replace the knackered Hazard switch. I just left the old one behind the dash(stuck in the on position), snipped the (red) power-in cable and connected the new switch into there. Problem is, my indicators dont work from the stalk now. I thought it was a dodgy corsa stalk I had used, but somebody said something about the hazard switch cuts off the indicators. Could this be why?????? :o :?

Ste_Nova
21-04-04, 03:12 PM
yes

loggyboy
21-04-04, 03:24 PM
Im now doing a exchange on broken MK2 switches.
send me ur old one a cheque for ?5 and i will send u a modified one that wont break again. These wil l be as stated above, Pull On, Push Off style.

Dave
21-04-04, 04:09 PM
so just work out the wires that are the same an connect them up?
that sounds too simple! :lol:
am gonna be making a fibreglass surround to house it so it doesn't matter about where it would sit.

does anyone know if the wires are the same colour mk1 to mk2??

the guide to fitting the diode is on mikes novaland site somewhere (under internal mods i think)

MechaT
22-04-04, 12:37 AM
If I remember rightly. The wires are the same but there's two extra. one to each indicator. (black/white & black/white/green).

Mk2 hazard switches are shite. Bought a brand new one and it broke first time. Got exchange and that went 2nd time.

mikeoxford
22-04-04, 12:39 AM
so just work out the wires that are the same an connect them up?
that sounds too simple! :lol:
am gonna be making a fibreglass surround to house it so it doesn't matter about where it would sit.

does anyone know if the wires are the same colour mk1 to mk2??

the guide to fitting the diode is on mikes novaland site somewhere (under internal mods i think)

correct :!:

www.nova-land.com
how to guides
interior
modifying a mk2 hazard switch

Dave
27-04-04, 01:13 PM
If I remember rightly. The wires are the same but there's two extra. one to each indicator. (black/white & black/white/green).
so what do you do with the other 2 wires then?
just blank them off?

Barn
27-04-04, 04:00 PM
i was thinking of exactly the same thing...Mk2 Hazard does my suede right in! Ugly, and flimsy as fcuk. Pain in the arse

MechaT
30-04-04, 08:29 PM
White-Nova, those two indicator wires need to go to your single wire - the wire's white/black/green striped.