PDA

View Full Version : engine cleaning

Pez14sr
19-04-04, 01:25 PM
Can anybody tell me what the best way to clean the engine is???? pressure washer, gunk, steam or what????

Cheers,

Will
19-04-04, 01:38 PM
gunk

pressure washing or steam cleaning can cause thing to move or water to get where it shud not.

if you do steam clean be carefull i did this on my first car and the car ran shit for days cause water was in the carb etc etc

djshongo
19-04-04, 01:47 PM
i would like to know this as i also have to do this job!! :roll:

m.d.
19-04-04, 01:51 PM
whyns engine degreaser did the job lovely on mine. i did jet wash it tho but it said that you could just rinse it off with a hose. wont hurt the paint either

Dave
19-04-04, 01:57 PM
i've done my g'box, brought some gunk at the weekend and pressure washed it came up ok :D

2litreturbo
19-04-04, 05:39 PM
gunk and pressure washer always worked best for me.

nova_rally
19-04-04, 05:54 PM
Gunk and hose works well for me. Then if it's really bad more gunk + old toothbrush, but be prepared for a lot of work if it's really grubby!

Alan

MechaT
19-04-04, 08:37 PM
-Heres how I do it:
-Bought Gunk,
-Went to a local garage with pressure washer
-LET THE ENGINE COOL DOWN!!!
-covered the air filter and coil with plastic bags. Cover ya ECU if uv got one
-went mad with the Gunk
-Went equally mad with the power lance
-Nice clean engine and shiny head

You can pressure hose it but don't aim it straight at electrics or anwhere where water can get in the engine. Oh and use an old toothbrush too!

Adam
19-04-04, 10:05 PM
-Heres how I do it:
-Bought Gunk,
-Went to a local garage with pressure washer
-LET THE ENGINE COOL DOWN!!!
-covered the air filter and coil with plastic bags. Cover ya ECU if uv got one-went mad with the Gunk
-Went equally mad with the power lance
-Nice clean engine and shiny head

You can pressure hose it but don't aim it straight at electrics or anwhere where water can get in the engine. Oh and use an old toothbrush too!

Ain't the ecu under the passenger kickwell inside the car????
And is it perfectly safe to jet wash your engine, surely it can't stand up to water at that pressure.

Stuart
19-04-04, 10:10 PM
im sure water at 5 bar is nothing compared to hot gas at 60-100bar in the engine lol

2litreturbo
20-04-04, 05:34 AM
i always leave my engine running when i pressure wash it. And if you read the back of the tin of gunk, it says do it on a warm engine, not a cold one like said above

MechaT
22-04-04, 12:49 AM
Sorry not sure where ECU is. Never had new fangled injection gubbins.

It does say warm it up but if your gona put water on your engine its gotta be warm as aposed to hot, or you could crack the block.

peester
22-04-04, 01:03 AM
i do it with autoglym machine cleaner and a brass brush/wire brush drill bit. keep scrubbin and the metal starts to polish..

http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v11/peester/DCk29yfc02.jpg

end result. (apart from rocker; that was chromed.)