PDA

View Full Version : Engine Reconditionig

Pez14sr
19-04-04, 08:52 AM
Can anyone tell me if it is worth getting mt engine recond. and how much it will cost approx. What sort of things do they do to it???

Cheers,
8)

rysmee
19-04-04, 06:19 PM
the question of is it worth it really depends of the condition of the engine now. eg.. miles, does it durn oil?, does it sound ok? etc etc, BUT it also needs to be asked if want more power.
recon 'ing it just as standard seems pointless to me as you are spending money for no real gain at the end. you might as well just go find a low mileage engine and stick that in.
if you wanted to recon yourself and do everything properly then youd be looking at buying new bearing shells, new rod bearings, new rod bolts, pistons rings, water pump, oil pump, seals and gaskets + getting all the tolerances checked and sorted(grinding crank or whatever), the list goes on and it all adds up, prob 400 quid or so.
so for that money you could find a nice 1.6 or xe, so while more effort to get it in, will be worth it in the end. hope i havent waffled on!

Pez14sr
20-04-04, 08:57 AM
Sounds good to me but it is my first car so i cant put a bigger engine in coz the insurance is alot already but i just want the engine to be sound for my own peice of mind. Where could i get a lower milage engine from? i was told that the fitting cost would be high, how much would this be???? Thanks for your advise mate!!!

mark_GSi
20-04-04, 04:23 PM
fitting cost are well cheap if u do it ur self

not really to hard

rysmee
20-04-04, 05:57 PM
well you just have to keep your eyes open. look in all the free add papers and loot and stuff like that. and keep going up the scrappy. if you try hard enough you should eventually find a good low (lowish!) miler that will just go straight into yours. if you stick with what u have already fitting is a doddle (if you have right tools).
you say u wont get a bigger engine because of insurance, BUT, alot of people will tell on here that it wont rally change much, and i've even heard of it going down! so its still worth checking out the bigger engine idea.

_JH_
20-04-04, 06:02 PM
it is my first car so i cant put a bigger engine in coz the insurance is alot already but i just want the engine to be sound for my own peice of mind.

is there actually anything wrong with it?

if not and you can't afford raised insurance (don't worry, we've all been there) then leave it alone until something breaks, cos you never know it might not.

If you're after peace of mind, get your brakes fully checked over, and your suspension.