PDA

View Full Version : help car wont start

totalnova
18-04-04, 07:40 PM
i need sum help right my 1.2i wont start the starter moter has goon that im sure as it just clicks when i turn the key ive tryed hitting it but has done no good so i bump start it it starts and then just dies out again
i think ive done sum thing to it as it was stolen this month when i leave it for the night i was disconeting the cable from the dizzy to the ecu i think thats wot it is any way any help appriciated as i need it running :?

Philsutton
18-04-04, 07:50 PM
dead battery? if its clicking would have thought its the battery

totalnova
18-04-04, 07:54 PM
no thats fine its only 3 months old and all lectrics are fine the clicking is the starter moter any 1 else please

epo
18-04-04, 08:32 PM
i had a prob with mine last year it wud just click when i turned the key

alls i was told to do was to put an earth strap from the gear box to the closest body work point and ive never had a prob since

totalnova
18-04-04, 08:39 PM
wot is an earth strap? probley a dumb question but i cant see why that would help? you have confussed me

Adam
18-04-04, 08:50 PM
wot is an earth strap? probley a dumb question but i cant see why that would help? you have confussed me

A strap that earths something, :D
Quite a few people have been having problems with starting their cars and the gearbox earth strap has been the source of most problems.

epo
18-04-04, 08:56 PM

if ur still struddelin with it give me a shout and ill take a pic of mine 4 u

totalnova
18-04-04, 09:09 PM
would this make the car stop stalling i think its the dizzy as i was taking it off could it of been damaged from the wet?

epo
19-04-04, 08:35 PM
no mine just wudnt start just clicked when i tuned the key

Aragorn
19-04-04, 11:20 PM
the click means the solenoid is engaging but the starter isnt turning

does the lights on the dash dim at this point?

if the do dim then the battery is shot/flat

if they dont then the power isnt getting to the starter

this means either the solienoid in the starter is damaged or the leads feeding the starter and the strap earthing the engine are faulty - the gearbox strap tends to go first

try clamping a heavy jump lead between the engine and the battery -ve terminal

mikeoxford
20-04-04, 01:13 AM
some novas dont have gearbox earth straps.....

they actually have a strap from the battery, through the bulkhead and onto the block.

i suspect thats on injection novas though

mikeyredtop
20-04-04, 09:49 AM
mine is that type, but it doesnt seem to be giving the injection loom an earth so had to run a seperate one, could of just been gaskets..

Jack
20-04-04, 11:42 AM
i bump start it it starts and then just dies out again

i'd second the gearbox earth strap idea. You say all electrics are good so i'm assuming your battery and alternator are in good nick. Had this problem on a mates - not starting then dying after bump starting it - replaced half the electrics, then it turns out the earth strap was frazzled! Replaced it, and runs perfect now.

loggyboy
20-04-04, 02:36 PM
try jumping/bumping it. if that works then its the battery.
if not then
check the the earthing straps mentioned,above, also check the one between the alternator and the block.
Clean the battery contacts.
If all that fails hammer the startermotor once or twice, if that works then the startmotors on the way out...