PDA

View Full Version : Lightening the flywheel worth it?

Philsutton
18-04-04, 06:17 PM
Im thinking of getting my flywheel lightened as i can get it done cheap but i want to know if it worth the effort. Currently there isnt anything else i can think of doing to the engine without spending stupid amounts of money. And how much weight is advisable to remove while still keeping at idle?

Aragorn
18-04-04, 06:36 PM
i doubt it will make much of a difference except rev up a bit quicker in low gears

Philsutton
18-04-04, 07:57 PM
i might get it done anyway as every little will help.

CP
18-04-04, 08:17 PM
Its a 50:50 question -ie theres no absolute right or wrong with doing this mod. Its a sort of hand me down mod left over from old engines where big gains could be had by reducing component weights. In more modern engines component weights are down to acceptable levels so its effects are lessened.

To my eyes:

Upsides - engine spools up more quickly as there is less inertia in the flywheel which helps pick up acceleration etc. Maybe less strain on main bearings on crank?

Downsides - on a light weight engine does it really have much effect? Maybe lose a bit of "torquey" drivability due to loss of stored kinetic energy in flywheel?