PDA

View Full Version : * Dilemma * Your Comments Needed

Barn
17-04-04, 06:04 PM
Admittedly this is abit boring but hey, it needs sorting...and I need your comments lads...

here goes...

Ok so here is my Dilemma. I recently purchased a second-hand Toad Alarm and Immobiliser (C5T2). Since purchasing the 2nd-hand system for ?145 I have found out that half the system i.e. the immobiliser cannot be re-fitted to my car because all the wires coming from the immobiliser are black and therefore the wires cannot be individually determined and therefore cannot be fitted again. I have been told this by Sextons (a local Toad Alarm dealer) and two other reliable sources. Therefore I purchased a system were I cannot use half of it.
I have put this to the seller but he thinks it is unfair of me to ask for my money back even though I cannot use half of the sytem .

I have been quoted by two separate companies...one wanted ?100 just for re-fitting the alarm and the second quoted me ?70 for fitting Alarm and a further ?70 for fitting an immobiliser because I cannot use the one that I have just bought second-hand. So in total it would cost me ?285 to fit this system into my car. For this money I could get a brand-spanking-new CAT1 system.

Before purchasing the alarm I asked if it would go 'straight-in' to my car to which the reply was 'yes'. This is obviously not the case.

The alarm didn't have a Wiring diagram with it so I got hold of the wiring diagram myself, through my own enquiries, and it cannot be fitted even with the wiring diagram (this is what my local Toad dealer has told me). I could get a new one for almost the money I paid for the second-hand system, and half of it I cannot be fitted.

I am asking for a refund as I think it is just as I cannot use half of the alarm system....

What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks for your time lads

Barney

epo
17-04-04, 06:08 PM
i admit its not fair mate especially if he said yes it wud fit
but i dont think u have a case as it'll be sold as seen wont am sure people will go into more detail

possibly visit citizens advice see what they see

did he give u a recipt with it?

mikeyredtop
17-04-04, 06:26 PM
yeah they are labled when new but then are taken off when installed so there is no way if identifying them, we take them out @ work as they cause problems..and cant be fiddled with cos u dont know what wires are what...

Jordi
17-04-04, 06:28 PM
i'd get my money bk. If he sed it all worked and would work on your car, and it doesnt your entitled by any good person to your money back.

Ben
18-04-04, 10:08 AM
Yes when removing CAT1 alarms you should label the black wires up. They are useless if not, basically he has sold you an inoperative alarm.

You can get brand new Toad Ai606 (excellent alarms) Brand new in the box's off ebay for ?140-150 wich are excellent value for money.

I also know a very reliable alarm fitters in south wales if you want a place thats recommended.

Barn
18-04-04, 01:50 PM
thanks for the comments lads.
From someone like you Ben, who sell's many things all the time it makes my case that much stronger. not that I'm disgarding the others lads comments at all but you know what I mean.

keep the comments coming lads...I need your views

p.s Ben I might well take you up on that if I can't sort something out myself mate :+:

Ben
18-04-04, 01:53 PM
Its all about how he led you to believe what you were buying.

If he was selling the alarm for spare parts or stated that the wiring was not labelled then you were in the wrong for believing you could get it to work. But if sold it to you as a pefrectly useable alarm then he is wrong.

In my personal opinion i think that was expensive.

Barn
18-04-04, 05:59 PM
thats exactly how he sold it to me mate. "Perfect working order".
He is saying that he will purchase another immobiliser for me but I don't want to go down that route (this I have explained too him) I just want my money back as the ?145 I paid included the price of the immobiliser which CANNOT be re-fitted.

Mel
18-04-04, 07:30 PM
simple case of contract law..

there was an offer/acceptance of the purchase of the alarm and immobiliser.

If he stated something which you relied on heavily (i.e, that the alarm would go straight in) and never told you that the immobiliser wouldnt work etc, then you have a case with misrepresentation. As long as you can prove what you was told, i.e, emails/pm's etc from the guy that states exactly what was said, you shouldnt have any problems with giving him legal jargon..

i would therefore insist on my money back :wink:

angel_vickie
18-04-04, 11:04 PM
did u get a receipt? if so what was on it? if it says 'sold as seen' then u probably wont b able to get ur money back. I agree that u should get it back though. Good Luck and just remember next time, ask to try it first, if the seller has nothing to hide then they should let u in most cases.

Angel_vickie :angel:

Barn
21-04-04, 07:44 PM
the guy sells me an alarm system that half of it cannot be re-fitted to my car (even though he said it would) and he thinks it is unfair of me to ask for my money back...?
Am i losing the plot or something?

I can't believe it.

The receipt doesn't even say 'Sold as seen' on it.

Surely, it is the right and proper thing to do?