PDA

View Full Version : dropping low.......

johnnynova
17-04-04, 12:11 PM
just read the last the post on springs saying the a -60mm drop is too low, ie unpracticle for racing etc and track days.

i was looking to drop mine nova by -60mm as i have seen -40 novas and the dont look low enough and ive seen one go around a corner and it wasnt that stiff (maybe it was a sh1t kit)

so if i wana use my car for track days and have little races, is the -40mm drop the best bet to go for or is -50mm an option

cheers

john

mikeyredtop
17-04-04, 12:35 PM
lowering springs using the standard dampers for track days, rallying is a bad setup as the car will bounce all over the place, altough it is a harder ride than standard. if ur serious and on a budget get a spring and damper kit at least with -40mm drop, but the best setup will be coilovers, with adjustable hieght and dampening properties, with this u can have ur car at 60mm when on show but raise it to 40mm or there abouts to get a quality off road ride without damaging anything, and hitting ur bumpstops...

johnnynova
17-04-04, 12:49 PM
i was thinking maybe -60 at rear and -40 at front?

i cant afford coilovers

mm, hard to decide, but with -40mm springs i can use the original dampers.

-60 i'll have to get uprated ones init?

thanks

john

mikeyredtop
17-04-04, 01:12 PM
if its just 4 show get 60 all round, forget the dampers

Will
17-04-04, 07:12 PM
60mm springs only is fine imo

if the dampers wear out a little quicker get a new set for a fiver ;)

Jim
17-04-04, 09:43 PM
60mm springs only is fine imo

if the dampers wear out a little quicker get a new set for a fiver ;)

No it's not. The ride wont be comfortable and the dampers will need replacing before you know it and its not a fiver to get new ones.

There are plenty of full kits for around ?200 that come with -60mm springs and shortened dampers. This will be fine for on the road and track days. Granted it may be a little harsh on the road, but thats the price you pay when lowering and stiffening the susspension.

Jim

dathers
18-04-04, 11:12 AM
using uprated lowered springs on standard dampers gives a really harsh bouncy as hell ride,IT MAKES THE CAR HANDLE WORSE!!
Quality gas dampers are a MUST with ANY lowered springs.
A real low car looks good but handles shite.
Dave

Breeny
18-04-04, 04:36 PM
Will your full of crap sometimes!

Using - 60mm springs on normal shocks is dangerous and stupid. Save up for a little longer and buy uprated and shortened dampers at the same time. Well worth it IMO and there will be no chance of your rear springs falling out :roll: