PDA

View Full Version : rattly handbrake cable

mikeoxford
15-04-04, 11:55 PM
had exhaust off.

put it back on again

exhuast cable rattles.

refitted using all the previous rubbers.

all look a little used, but good condition.

exhaust seems to hang fine on a ramp.

what have i done wrong?

:lol:

cheers
mike

mikeoxford
15-04-04, 11:59 PM
just thought.

could it be my engine mounts?

if engine is moving excessively making the exhaust move too?

just i havent changed anything and i can only assume these might be worn?

gah

pi$$in me off.

sounds like i have a powerblow on lol

2litreturbo
16-04-04, 01:35 AM
you think thats bad, i just changed my front outer cv joints, and now both from bearings have gone!

why would that happen!

Jim
16-04-04, 10:10 AM
Most handbrake cables are in two halves (well mine is anyway). About half way down there is an "S" shaped piece of metal where the two cables attach to. Chances are this is what is rattling against the exhaust. Get some exhaust wrap and wrap it round this "S" clip. This should stop it rattling.

Jim

nova neil(swindon)
18-04-04, 02:37 PM
Most handbrake cables are in two halves (well mine is anyway). About half way down there is an "S" shaped piece of metal where the two cables attach to. Chances are this is what is rattling against the exhaust. Get some exhaust wrap and wrap it round this "S" clip. This should stop it rattling.

Jim

is the "s" clip by the middle section by any chance as i also have a rattle and i have located the noise to the middle section or near the middle section towards the back i have checked all the exhaust mounts and joints but still cant sort it

Breeny
18-04-04, 04:39 PM
A lot of handbrake cables rattle on lowered novas. My turbo has been ok but the blue one I had another bracket fabricated to hold the cable at the place it was rattling on the exhaust.

Jim
18-04-04, 04:48 PM
is the "s" clip by the middle section by any chance as i also have a rattle and i have located the noise to the middle section or near the middle section towards the back i have checked all the exhaust mounts and joints but still cant sort it

Yes it's in the middle of the car.

Jim

nova neil(swindon)
18-04-04, 04:56 PM

Yes it's in the middle of the car.

Jim

cheers jim what would be best to wrap round it and where can i get it from?

Jim
19-04-04, 09:10 AM
Try halfords, they might have something that'll do the job. Otherwise you can get manifold heat wrap from Demon tweaks. The smallest length that they do is 15 foot, which will be more than you need, but will do the job.

Jim

nova neil(swindon)
19-04-04, 04:51 PM
Try halfords, they might have something that'll do the job. Otherwise you can get manifold heat wrap from Demon tweaks. The smallest length that they do is 15 foot, which will be more than you need, but will do the job.

Jim

cheers agian jim will sort that this weekend

hopefully it will sort the rattle

mikeoxford
20-04-04, 01:11 AM
:evil: pi$$es me off cos it was fine before.

have to investigate cos its doing my head in

Snowface
20-04-04, 06:04 PM
bit of foam or insulating tape or both maybe.

_JH_
20-04-04, 06:10 PM
you think thats bad, i just changed my front outer cv joints, and now both from bearings have gone!

why would that happen!

the bearings are kinda held together by the cv joint spline shaft, although they won't fall apart without it, they can't handle load for any length of time. if you over/undertighten the drive shaft nut the bearings will wear out quicker.

sorry to assist in hijacking the post :)