PDA

View Full Version : My car on the rollers today!

karl Rowntree
15-04-04, 06:54 PM
Well its been awhile since ive been on the site, having been on holiday and finally got the car back togeather! Was working on it until 1am last night, got up this morning to a pool of water and a fuel leak :evil:

Anyway quickly fixed those then it was off to Hi-tech for the engines long awaited rolling road session.

Having previously taken the car to velos and not been happy with the service (and no i am not having a go at the guys, i guess i just went on a bad day).

First run saw the car make less than standard red top power which was nice! Then followed 10 runs slowly tweaking the timing and carbs. All of a sudden the car became an animal and shot out the rollers at 110mph :o which in turn ripped the rachet strap, dented the bonnet and cracked the bumper! BUGGER.

Oh well i said as he printed the results off.

175 BHP at the wheels, which is just a tadge under 200 BHP at the flywheel! Then i drove the car home and it scared me to death, i didnt get out of 3rd gear and it goes of the rev counter.

I cant praise Mick at Hi-tech enough, if you fancy going somewhere new i recommend giving them a call. Best rolling road i have been to, and i have been to quite a few now.

Karl

dave.gsi
15-04-04, 07:19 PM
is he paying for the damage? :o

novacabrio
15-04-04, 07:22 PM
whats the engine spec now mate? still 2.0 on carbs same as last year or have you been playing with her insides? hows fixing the damage? you or them? there liability cover should cough up?

karl Rowntree
15-04-04, 07:23 PM
No mate, i didnt see it any way until i got home i was to busy looking at the results. lol.

Hes pretty much offered me a job anyway so didnt want to rock the boat.

Bonnet needed a spray anyway its stone chipped!

Ste_Nova
15-04-04, 07:25 PM
where was it strapped to?... i allways have mine strapped to the tiebars and rear towing eye.....

over the wings or to the front towing eye is a shit way to do it

karl Rowntree
15-04-04, 07:26 PM
Engine spec:

twin 45's
285 duration cams with kent vernier pulleys.
Slightly tweaked head and inlet manifold.
SBD exhaust manifold
ARP rod bolts,

Thats about it i think, along with a full cheque up and rebuild over the winter.

karl Rowntree
15-04-04, 07:28 PM
Was strapped to the tie bars, front and rear tow rings and the thing still got away!

CP
15-04-04, 08:41 PM
Excellent power :D

nova---chris
15-04-04, 08:57 PM
I thought about trying hi tech. But never got round to doing it.

Not good about car damage. Wouldnt be to happy if my car left the rollers and damage got caused. It happens tho i guess.

Nice results tho. Shame about velos mind.

TWAG
15-04-04, 09:11 PM
Sounds good! where abouts is hi tech? how much do they charge for a session like you had?

Just go my valver on the road and think it needs a bit of a tweek.

Dpnova
15-04-04, 09:24 PM
:o Nice power, well done

Jim
15-04-04, 09:43 PM
Nice one Karl. Do'h about the damage. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Jim

cooper_nova
15-04-04, 09:47 PM
u've got urself a animal
now all u need to do is tame it lol

Barn
15-04-04, 10:43 PM
sounds like a right animal mate...

nice one

ydg27
15-04-04, 11:49 PM
where abouts are they cos i wanna get my TD set up, just had a max power run before but i have just re-seated all the valves cos they were 5h1t and played with the fuelling again and it should be about 120bhp and 150 lb ft torque this time, without intercooler. wanna get it set up properly though see if they can get anymore power

cooper_nova
16-04-04, 12:11 AM
where abouts are they cos i wanna get my TD set up, just had a max power run before but i have just re-seated all the valves cos they were 5h1t and played with the fuelling again and it should be about 120bhp and 150 lb ft torque this time, without intercooler. wanna get it set up properly though see if they can get anymore power

lol ur gonna end up wiv a fast td!!!!!
if u want more from it have u thought abou8t the 2.2td from the movano and tune that up?????
:D

2litreturbo
16-04-04, 02:50 AM
why not just rearrange the letters on the back of the MOVANO and drive a MONOVA or a NOVAOM or better still bin the M and O and hey presto
you got yourself another Nova!

cooper_nova
16-04-04, 10:29 AM
why not just rearrange the letters on the back of the MOVANO and drive a MONOVA or a NOVAOM or better still bin the M and O and hey presto

lmao neil how long did it take u to think of that ?lol
:lol: :lol:

Ben
16-04-04, 12:28 PM

lmao neil how long did it take u to think of that ?lol
:lol: :lol:

Not long i expect, as its been done by loads off different people before.

Nice result Karl, gives me a clue as what to aim for when we fit our Carbs etc.

asroma
16-04-04, 02:16 PM
KARL some good numbers there mate well done!

Did you find the 45s overfueled a little? (a pal had this problem) Have you run a smaller size and found them not to be man enough for the job?

Any 1/4 mile run times in mind now??

nova---chris
16-04-04, 02:52 PM
should go sub 14 on 200bhp i think. :wink:

karl Rowntree
16-04-04, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the comments guys, cant wait to drive it again. Trouble is now i cant find a decent road to try it out by me. Guess it will have to wait till the nurburgring, only 2 weeks to go!

Hi-teck is in Cradley Heath near Halesowen, Birmingham. Its about 10 mins from junction 3 of the m5.

As for the carbs they are standard as i got them from the shop, with 145 main jets. The fuelling was out but we adjusted that to suit the car. Twin 40's would not be up to the job.

The quickest the car run last year was 14.8, i would now hope for low 14's. Maybe even high 13's with a diff in, will have to wait and see.

I personally dont judge how quick a car is on the quarter mile, i like to see them on a track. There are to many elements that can effect the cars time on the quarter mile.

Karl

asroma
19-04-04, 09:05 AM
I agree to a certain extent, driver error can be a big part but in both track and quarter mile, to take just one factor.
Hence why we do a series of runs to greaten the chance of "getting off the line text book" as it were. However on a track a poorer driver will show times etc which construe the car to be slower than it actually is. Although apart from rigidity on take off the quarter mile doesnt test all the other hard work such as suspension set up etc so in that sense its a little crude. But you have to ask yourself wheres the car going to be used more, on a strip or a road eh? Nuff said.

WHATEVER... thats pretty impressive mate! alot of the guys in the MITSI's are only in the 12's so it aint that far behind some of them! Come to BUG JAM and witness VW beetles running sub 10's.... its an amazin sight! ha ha

NovaNeil
19-04-04, 12:48 PM
Nice one Karl!!!! I look forward to going up against it round the Nurburgring in a couple of weeks :twisted: That is if your going to push it? :lol: ........ Stupid question really..... Course you are.

Neil

karl Rowntree
19-04-04, 07:32 PM
Asroma, agree with all your comments mate. I meant to say though, just because a car is quick in a straight line doesnt mean its quick on a race track. Like you say it doesnt test the whole of the car or the driver. I personally prefer track racing, as i find it more demanding as a driver and on the car, and its the most fun ive ever had! Wish more guys would venture onto the track :wink:

Neil, I will be going for it mate. Ive got a dvd showing 3 laps of the ring flat out in a 210mph GTR. Making pace notes for andy :lol: 147 bends to remember!!!!!

NovaNeil
19-04-04, 08:30 PM
haha, quality.... Well im borrowing a TOCA PS2 game which apperently has the track on it.... 10-20 hours on that should do it... hehehe :lol:

Can't wait.... Just hope the car holds up! :|

Neil

karl Rowntree
19-04-04, 09:12 PM
TOCA and PS2, Karls off out to buy a playstation tomorrow then! :lol:

I am a bit nervous aswell mate about the nailing the cars going to get. Oh well it will be worth it, and it would be rude to go all that way not to gun it round :wink:

nova m@rk
20-04-04, 12:21 AM
nice karl
good luck to everyone going to the ring
(get loads of in action pics) like 3 wheels n'stuff :D

Jim
20-04-04, 08:24 AM
Have you sorted everything out after the car jumped of the rollers?

I'm sure you'll have loads of fun round the track :)

Jim

karl Rowntree
20-04-04, 07:03 PM
Damage wasnt too bad jim just annoying little bits, like the dent in the bonnet. Probably wouldnt matter to someone else but i think it stands out. You know what its like when its your own.

Decided to wait and get the bonnet done when i get back as i think its going to be covered in stone chips anyway :lol:

Will be getting many photos aswell as gaffer tapping the video camera to andy b's head! Will get the pictures up as sonn as we get back.

Not long to go now! Cant wait.

Jim
20-04-04, 07:06 PM
I totally appreciate what your saying Karl. You notice little blemishes on your own car a mile out. Good idea about waiting till you get back. Have fun :)

Jim

NovaNeil
21-04-04, 12:30 PM
Karl. did you get my PM? I don't think my PC is letting me send them....

We have a Video camera too..... But it won't be getting much of your car and you'll be too far behind.... :lol: :wink:

karl Rowntree
21-04-04, 06:50 PM
:lol: Thats fighting talk from where i'm from Neil! I am bricking it about going round the ring now mate after watching the footage. Its not so much my driver as the locals, they are all MAD! :twisted:

Plan to have a couples of build up laps then one mad one, as thats 45 miles in its self!

Got your pm mate, will give you a call when we know the plan.

Karl

nova---chris
22-04-04, 11:40 PM
You got a read out at all karl?
Any chance of scanning it in if you have?

letme know

cheers

Chris

karl Rowntree
23-04-04, 09:00 PM
Chris, i can scan a copy of the print out but not sure who to get it posted on the forum?

Any help or advice mate?

mikeoxford
23-04-04, 09:53 PM
Chris, i can scan a copy of the print out but not sure who to get it posted on the forum?

Any help or advice mate?

i can host it if you want..... just drop it on an email to mikeo@totalwebsystems.co.uk

failing that regisiter wiht photobucket if you want easyier access to it :D