PDA

View Full Version : roll cage

mark_GSi
15-04-04, 05:41 PM
just brought a Bolt in 6 point cage from safety devices 2day

cost 350 all in which to be honest i thought would be alot more 8)

i phoned up MPS as well, they wanted 420 quid for a full cage ant its not even FIA approved!!! :roll:

cant wait to get it, should be tuesday hopefully :D :D :D :D

novax
15-04-04, 05:53 PM
The one you have is mild steel but MPS provide polished alloy cages, so they wouldn't be FIA approved. The polished alloy costs more.

mark_GSi
15-04-04, 06:03 PM
yea, just thought it was to much for a cage

350 was my absolute limit

nova_rally
15-04-04, 06:54 PM
Have i missed something here? is it now the latest craze to have totally un-necessary FIA approval for roll cages. Your posers, and won't ever do anything motorsport related so why the hell would you need FIA approval for it.

Nothing personal... :lol:

Stuart
15-04-04, 06:56 PM
to be fair i think the posers are the ones getting "show cages" that arent FIA/MSA approved. since they are just shiny tubes etc.

and imho if your going to cage it, might aswell do it the safe way lol

although i may be going down a home homologation route lol

Dan
15-04-04, 07:40 PM
depends on what you call totally unnecessary, i could never afford to mess around within the motorsport route, but a couple of times a year i shall be doing trackdays like the one just done.

http://www2.novaload.net/files/dan/ang1.jpg

When i do, i push car to its limit and feel alot better having one that does hold certain standards compared to a makeshift look alike. Maybe that still classes peeps like me as a poser, but alot safer for it.

mark_GSi
15-04-04, 08:13 PM
i intend to do track days thats y i got 1 plus i want to feel safe as i crashed my other 1 and was lucky to walk away

CP
15-04-04, 09:02 PM
a cage improves the chassis dynamics as well as being safer - good move mate :D

novax
15-04-04, 11:24 PM
Indeed CP, Though I do like my back seats even if no-one ever sits in them :D

Ben
16-04-04, 01:41 PM
If you do insist on having cages better off having one you know will help considering there cheaper than the show ones wich will snap/fold under impact and likely to cause more injury.

MC
16-04-04, 03:16 PM
Sorry to hijack this post, but me thinks Mr Nova_Rally is a little up himself. He drives a luke warm 1.4 SR that he goes "road rallying" in, and calls himself Nova-Rally. From his previous posts, its a big thing fitting his 16v brakes, and his high compression NV lump running with a 1300 head, yet he seem to think he is something special. I dare say that most people on here have quicker cars and use them well, yet you believe you should poo poo this bloke for fitting an approved roll cage?

If you took the time to think about it, you'd realise that it makes sense to get a tested one rather than a replica, and as previously said it will aid the chassis. Just think twice before you post like that again, it makes you look silly.

MC

nova_rally
16-04-04, 07:23 PM
I belive anyone unconnected with motorspotrt shouldn't bother with cages. You only really need one if you're planning on COMPETING something that most people on this site know f**k all about.

Why does everyone on this site have an attititude problem?

Alan Jones

http://www.ychwaral.supanet.com/71a.jpg

Stuart
16-04-04, 11:26 PM
so if you have a fast road car and your prehaps concerned for your personal safety incase something should go wrong. then you must suffer the consiquences unless your a hardcores motorsport competitor??!!!

as alreayd mentioned, cages increase chassis stiffness etc which is only a good thing as it leaves the dynamics down to the suspension. which is how it should be (unless you cart lol)

a show cage is dangerous, but a fia/msa cage is worth its weight in gold for many reaons.

Dan
17-04-04, 01:24 AM
i think the 'attitude' was due to this comment;

Have i missed something here? is it now the latest craze to have totally un-necessary FIA approval for roll cages. Your posers, and won't ever do anything motorsport related so why the hell would you need FIA approval for it.

which wasnt helpful in the slightest and had 'attitude' of its own unfortunatley this is the backlash of people defending their reasons from such a harsh comment.

On many an occasion i do crew for a few cars on tarmac single venue events and sometimes the odd forestry stages rally. This is a prime time to see what the cage is actually capable of, in that pic i posted it would only take a blow out or similar to completely throw the car into a tyre wall or barrier etc. markgsi stated after he might do the odd trackday himself. Maybe you should of asked why he was fitting the cage instead of just writing what u did

_JH_
17-04-04, 11:51 AM
nova rally, if you don't mind me asking whats the full spec of your car? there's a few 1.4SRs that road rally near me would be an interesting comparison to know what you gogs use?

and aside from rallying, are you going to the shootout at santa pod?

Jim
17-04-04, 08:40 PM
The first time I experienced a Nova with a cage was in CP's car. It was amazing! Even on the open road.

Dan and I have similar engines and ran stripped out Interiors with buckets. Dan has a roll cage, I do not. I thought my car handled "above average" I went in Dans car and was amazed at the difference a roll cage makes. He was able to throw the cars into bends at much faster speeds than myself and exit from the corners alot quicker.

The only reason why I haven't fitted a roll cage is because I'm concerned about the weight of them. However, after experiencing Novas with roll cages I am definatley tempted to get one! I live in Milton Keynes and there are roundabouts galore here. It's one of the best places to drive and the thought of being able to improve the handling of my car by getting a cage to drive around town is very appealing.

Jim

CP
17-04-04, 10:16 PM
Well when I decided to fit my 6 point budget roll cage I wasnt that too sure how much of a cage I needed or indeed whether the weight penalty was worth it. However having grabbed hold of it whilst MC was driving ( not in competition ) along a back road I realised how much stress is actually being exerted on the chassis and body. My only regret was not adding more. The feel and feedback from the strengthening adds another dimension to driving whether on track or the open road. Vauxhall didnt exactly go to town on strenghtening these cars and combined with the fact that most have tired bodys I cant really see a down side to them if you dont mind yur car being stripped out with no passengers in the back

mark_GSi
17-04-04, 11:22 PM
i got it to make me feel safe AND to help strenth the car

i dont want to post pics of my old nova but i was VERY VERY lucky to survive it

i have also got a pair of cobra daytonas with harnesses which saved my life.

its only when u got have a smash that u realise how weak they are.

i lost control on sum deisel on the way to work and hit a 40ft lorry at 30MPH.
i suffered the following:

9 stiches in 2 cuts
broken finger
2 black eyes
damaged nerve and liagament in my knee

i hit the stearing wheel so hard i bent it :(

i lossened up the harnesses after going santa pod, they just tight even to save me thank god

i was off work for 3 weeks and could not walk for a week

spent 6 hours in A&E.

i just felt that if the worse did ever happen again i would want the best chance to walk away.
im sure people who have had a smash will understand wot i am saying

thanks