PDA

View Full Version : Electrical fault?? HELP!!!!

Big Box
13-04-04, 04:36 PM
Every time I leave my car for more than a day, the battery is flat. I tried another battery and its still the same. I've looked around the whole car for snags/ faulty connections and it all seems fine. I'm no electrician and this is pi**ing me off now. Anyone had a similar problem or got any ideas?
:? :? :? :(

Adam
13-04-04, 06:26 PM
Could be an alternator problem
Do you use the car in the day,or is it just standing?

Big Box
14-04-04, 03:30 PM
I am still working on the car so it is just sitting at the mo. If I drive it for a few days, it holds the charge fine, but once its left for a day or 2 it goes again. Dont think its the alternator cos the bat does charge when the engine is being run. ???????????BAFFLED????????????

broony
14-04-04, 03:51 PM
Maybe buggered battery. Might not be storing charge.

mikeyredtop
15-04-04, 09:34 AM
if u measure the loom resistance from + to - (battery off) it should be no more tha 0.3 ohms... if more or even closed circuit then u have current draw... ie a short... i found 1 on my bros alternator which had been left in the rain 4 a day, coz when we put it back on was draining the battery, trail n error

Jack
15-04-04, 10:08 AM
Is there a stereo or alarm drawing the charge? They might not be pulling much power, but if the battery is on its way out it might be enough just to kill it each time.

mikeyredtop
15-04-04, 11:17 AM
yeah battery's loose there state of charge, will seem fine but under current draw (load) will die very quickly

Aragorn
15-04-04, 02:31 PM
a mate of mine had a problem with his 1.2i very similar to this

he had new battery new alternator etc etc

i was under the bonnet fitting the new alt for him and noticed there was a buzzing sound coming from the throttle body (i had originally thaught it was coming from the alternator so disconnected it)

turned out it was the idle control valve buzzing away - i replaced that and it still done it - was a faulty ECU, replaced the ecu and problems vanished :)