PDA

View Full Version : HELP! TD Not Turning Over

dikharvey
13-04-04, 12:44 PM
My new Turbo Diesel has a problem.

I drove to the post office this morning and drove home, no probs. Got back in my car to go to work 10 minutes later.

Tried to start the engine but let go of the key before the engine fired up. Went to start the engine again and.... nothing.

The battery light no longer comes on and the glow plug light no longer comes on.

Checked all the fuses in the fuse box, they seem to be fine. Found two fuses under the bonnet which seem to be fine.

Any Ideas?

Aragorn
13-04-04, 01:03 PM
shove it in a high gear and try to roll the car forward and back

sounds like the starter has got stuck - rolling the car SHOULD unstick it

if not get a rubber mallet and give the starter a whack WHILE someone else turns the key

mind u that doesnt explain the battery light not coming on

maybe a dodgy battery earth lead? do the headlights work normally?

gearbox earth strap? - try clamping a jump lead between the battery -ve and the engine block somewhere

dikharvey
13-04-04, 01:19 PM
Tried rocking the car back and forth and the headlights work fine.

I've tried something that goes through ever fuse and everything else works fine.

I will try the earth strap when i get home, i did just take the gearbox off but it has been fine for a couple of days.

Is it likely that the altenator or started motor have packed up?

dikharvey
13-04-04, 07:05 PM
gearbox earth strap? - try clamping a jump lead between the battery -ve and the engine block somewhere

Someone buy this man a drink! Thanks, earth strap had snapped.

Snowface
13-04-04, 07:33 PM
where is the earth strap located anyway? a few peeps have had a similar and just wondered.

-Bruce-
13-04-04, 07:40 PM
its under/near the gearbox mount on the gearbox. (on the right hand side of the engine bay if you are looking from front of the car)
you can see it if u look through the nearside wheel arch, looking towards the gearbox!! and a 13mm nut keeps it on the box i think!! :D